CNBC ending production of "Nighly Business Report" and "On the Money"

newsbot

Should have given OTM two years so it could've gotten to 50 years in syndication, but it was expected; most stations, I see it now in the Byron Allen primetime of early Sunday morning, well before sunrise, because everyone just uses their phone to get the latest business news tailored to their interests, and it's a show by design where you're never going to find any kind of cable news-ish confrontation.

And I'm surprised they did keep NBR going as long as it did; with the way Fox Business is going, CNBC has to focus 100% on improving their product on their own network instead of continuing a format that's just aged out (the CNBC transfer seemed to just bring back the format of their 90s attempt at a 'business newscast of record', BusinessCenter).

I wonder if they tried to sell off the NBR brand before that announcement.  I would think Nightly Business Report is still viable to produce.  I also wonder if WPBT would be interested in taking the show back--or maybe some other PBS affiliate.

As an NBR fan since childhood, this news saddens me. During this period, it was my only television source for the latest news in business and finance, and the hosts were always a joy to watch. Oh well, it did last 40 years and that's a major achievement. Cheers to the staff throughout the years for a job well done. 

1 hour ago, Action Newsroom said:

As an NBR fan since childhood, this news saddens me. During this period, it was my only television source for the latest news in business and finance, and the hosts were always a joy to watch. Oh well, it did last 40 years and that's a major achievement. Cheers to the staff throughout the years for a job well done. 

And the theme during the mid-2000s was so good. The show was a part of my childhood, even though I haven't watched it in years. Sad to see it go, but it had a great run.

Archived