Impeachment coverage

David Salter JR

coverage plans of the impeachment hearings on broadcast and cable are as follows (will be updated as necessary)

Cable: 

CNN, MSNBC and Fox News channel will have live gavel to gavel coverage

Broadcast:

CBS, ABC, and NBC have confirmed they will carry the hearings live. FOX has not confirmed if they will air the hearings 

Update:

NBC's coverage will start at 10am Wednesday

PBS will air the hearings live. I assume coverage is optional to stations

FOX broadcast coverage is level 2 and will be hosted by Harris Faulkner

CBS coverage will be anchored by Norah O'Donnel

Trump will hold a 3:10pm news conference on Wednesday

3 hours ago, David Salter JR said:

Update:

NBC's coverage will start at 10am Wednesday

PBS will air the hearings live. I assume coverage is optional to stations

FOX broadcast coverage is level 2 and will be hosted by Harris Faulkner

CBS coverage will be anchored by Norah O'Donnel

Trump will hold a 3:10pm news conference on Wednesday

And still you know soap opera fans won't get proper notification, their social accounts will cheerfully say to 'tune in tomorrow', and your social/switchboard folks suddenly developed some kind of flu to avoid those folks insulting them to death on those days.

7 minutes ago, mrschimpf said:

And still you know soap opera fans won't get proper notification, their social accounts will cheerfully say to 'tune in tomorrow', and your social/switchboard folks suddenly developed some kind of flu to avoid those folks insulting them to death on those days.

I could see the networks going to rotating coverage if this goes on for an extended period of time

20 minutes ago, hfiles said:

CNN is utilizing HLN as a "CNN2" today. Impeachment coverage on CNN. Trump News Conference coverage on HLN, complete with CNN anchors/reporters and CNN graphics.

Screen Shot 2019-11-13 at 2.50.22 PM.png

Was just gonna post this! It was interesting seeing the CNN Breaking News stinger on HLN, I guess we got a glimpse of what would happen if HLN joined CNN. They will also be re-airing the entire impeachment hearing on HLN tonight at 7pm ET. 

25 minutes ago, mountainave said:

During the Nixon era, PBS re-broadcasted the impeachment hearings during primetime, and attracted wild viewership.  There have been calls for PBS to do the same now, but so far they've indicated no plans to do so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/11/bill-moyers-impeachment-pbs-broadcast-trump-nixon/

There are a few stations, like WETA in Washington, that are rebroadcasting the hearings in primetime, even though PBS itself is not. The WORLD channel (which airs on the subchannels of many PBS stations) is doing the same.

Is any of the Hearst owned stations covering regular network programming to cover the Impeachment proceedings?

I know here in Oklahoma, KOCO interrupted General Hospital to cover the impeachment proceedings with Abigail Ogle anchoring the coverage in OKC.

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

Question, how are the affiliate stations not loosing money on these special reports?  There are no ads airing on NBC,ABC or CBS.

I would guess they're losing a lot of ad revenue because of the hearings. This is why you will likely see some affiliates opt out of network coverage if this goes on for a prolonged period. Network affiliate news and program directors aren't going to keep blowing out scheduled programming for these hearings if they continue to lose ad money. Additionally, i wouldn't be surprised if in a future affiliation agreement, one of the networks makes all special reports optional unless it's a national emergency (Fox already does this)

43 minutes ago, David Salter JR said:

I would guess they're losing a lot of ad revenue because of the hearings. This is why you will likely see some affiliates opt out of network coverage if this goes on for a prolonged period. Network affiliate news and program directors aren't going to keep blowing out scheduled programming for these hearings if they continue to lose ad money. Additionally, i wouldn't be surprised if in a future affiliation agreement, one of the networks makes all special reports optional unless it's a national emergency (Fox already does this)

I wouldn't be surprised if some stations are considering doing just that right now.   And it's not just ad money, the ratings are probably going to take a dip after a short period of time.

5 hours ago, Eat News said:

Even CSPAN knows there is zero interest...

The hearings have been buried on CSPAN-3

That's  below public access on the scale of news importance.

Scheduled on C-SPAN 3 but this morning it was on both 2 and 3.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, Eat News said:

Even CSPAN knows there is zero interest...

The hearings have been buried on CSPAN-3

That's  below public access on the scale of news importance.

Absolutely nothing in this post is accurate.

Ratings are doing well. That means there IS interest.

The hearings are not being buried. They are being carried across cable news and broadcast networks. 

The fact that the hearings are on C-SPAN 3 is not indicative of expected interest. C-SPAN carries the House floor, C-SPAN 2 carries the Senate, and C-SPAN 3 is for hearings. Yes, sometimes there is overlap, but this is the general setup.

Let facts inform your opinions. I fear that too many people are letting their opinions inform their facts.

On 11/19/2019 at 6:39 PM, Georgie56 said:

Last week's hearings scored 12.5 million viewers.

...and by day 4 CBS had bailed out of continuing coverage and back to generating revenue. CSPAN3 was still carrying the gavel to gavel...and the ratings for FNC doubled the NBC broadcast network.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-impeachment-hearings-day-4-down-1203412193/

2.5 million viewers big whoop!

Judge Judy gets 10 time those viewers daily.

I hope the big networks continue to burn money during sweeps.  Serves them right . They have abandon the public.

Meanwhile I will go back to CSPAN3 where I can hear directly what middle "normal" America thinks about all of this.

4 hours ago, Eat News said:

...and by day 4 CBS had bailed out of continuing coverage and back to generating revenue. CSPAN3 was still carrying the gavel to gavel...and the ratings for FNC doubled the NBC broadcast network.

I hope the big networks continue to burn money during sweeps.  Serves them right . They have abandon the public.

Meanwhile I will go back to CSPAN3 where I can hear directly what middle "normal" America thinks about all of this.

You don't think the news networks should carry the hearings of the impeachment of the President of the United States?

You don't think the news networks should carry the hearings of the impeachment of the President of the United States?

Only if those "networks" can be unbiased and fair....

Which they have shown they can't.

I will be happy to discuss the politics of such "hearings" in private with anyone who wishes.

18 hours ago, Eat News said:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/tv-ratings-impeachment-hearings-day-4-down-1203412193/

2.5 million viewers big whoop!

Judge Judy gets 10 time those viewers daily.

You're comparing the ratings of Fox News to Judge Judy and using that to prove... What exactly?

The article you linked to says 11.4 million people watched on Day 4. I don't know how that compares to the usual daytime viewership but a Variety article about Day 3's ratings says 12 million watched and declared it "drew big numbers yet again."  11.4 is less than 12, yes, but only slightly, so it seems Day 4 is still near "big numbers" territory.

Not that ratings should determine whether impeachment hearings about the president of the United States should be carried on television, but if that's your goal: Ratings are strong.  Americans are interested.

But you never seem to let facts get in the way of meandering message board posts with bold text.

What I'm about to say is just my opinion, but I suspect the ratings for said coverage is not fully reflective of how "engaged" people are.  For instance, you could put a test pattern on a powerhouse station like WSB and still get good ratings. 

Jokes aside, I think a good portion of the ratings are actually just the result of the coverage being on TV instead of other programs.  If people weren't watching the coverage, they'd be watching the normal programs that got preempted.  People may have it on, but it doesn't automatically mean they're actually engaged.    Just my 2 cents.

Archived