Abandoned WKEF-WRGT Building

kfc513

I just came across this video and I figured you guys would be interested in this.

So when Dayton's WKEF and WRGT moved into their then-new building some time ago, they left their old facilities just standing there. Someone managed to gain access and took a look around...

The building may have been torn down since then.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, nomadcowatbk said:

why'd they leave the tapes? same reason why medial records are often left behind at abandoned hospitals?

From the looks of it, they're news and sports archives.  Probably of little historical value (or poorly organized) and all of the important ones have been preserved by the station.

From what I can recall, Buddy Kallick (of Buddy's Carpet fame) shot all of his commercials here.  What I wouldn't give to see one of those reels....

What'd'ja say Buddy?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT MAKING MONEY.....I JUST LOOOOOOVE TO SELL CARPET!

9 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Who would want to buy/lease that dump?? It looks like in disrepair.  It'd be cheaper to doze and rebuild something

Actually, it looks like the bones are pretty descent. That studio looks a lot larger than the KCNC building in Denver.

8 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Who would want to buy/lease that dump?? It looks like in disrepair.  It'd be cheaper to doze and rebuild something

Owning is better than leasing.   Especially if the owner has been there a very long time which means the building is most likely paid for and that's a saved expense right there.

IIRC, this was the WKEF facility that later housed the combined technical and news operations for WRGT as well.   The back-office functions were at the WRGT building a half mile away.   

When WBDT moved in with WDTN, their old facility in Miamisburg became available which Sinclair jumped on, allowing more space and the ability to host both stations and all their operations under one roof.

21 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

It would make a nice mental hospital or a locked drug rehab facility.

Those old tapes would be useful during arts and crafts time.

Too bad they didn't rent it out during Halloween.

Archived