WLS Talent Rejoin Question

newspulse

not sure if i'm in the right general for this one but i didn't feel like this warranted its own thread and i'm pretty sure the graphics subforum is only for new stuff, but.

i was lookin on bill ratner's website after hearin his voice on some downstate public access show (thanks @22MinWorld for showin me *that* gem), i wanted to see if he ever acknowledged it. ended up finding this WLS open with the newer stimulus package that i've never seen before on air. not sure if this was used on a special occasion, it was very early in the package's history, or what. those glass panel things seem more angular than the normal open we see them use.

7 minutes ago, newspulse said:

not sure if i'm in the right general for this one but i didn't feel like this warranted its own thread and i'm pretty sure the graphics subforum is only for new stuff, but.

i was lookin on bill ratner's website after hearin his voice on some downstate public access show (thanks @22MinWorld for showin me *that* gem), i wanted to see if he ever acknowledged it. ended up finding this WLS open with the newer stimulus package that i've never seen before on air. not sure if this was used on a special occasion, it was very early in the package's history, or what. those glass panel things seem more angular than the normal open we see them use.

Holy moley, what a find. They are not original to the 2013 package, but a slate of opens that never made it to air. Recorded in February 2017 at Chicago's Museum of Broadcast communications, many talent shots were quickly obselete after a slate of retirements, hires and reassignments. Some of them made it into promos for weather, but these updated opens were never used on-air. The station has been hinting at new graphics for more than a year, but they stray from this look.

43 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Holy moley, what a find. They are not original to the 2013 package, but a slate of opens that never made it to air. Recorded in February 2017 at Chicago's Museum of Broadcast communications, many talent shots were quickly obselete after a slate of retirements, hires and reassignments. Some of them made it into promos for weather, but these updated opens were never used on-air. The station has been hinting at new graphics for more than a year, but they stray from this look. 

i had a feeling that this proooobably wasn't supposed to be on-air with how rough the talent shots are! good to have you confirm it uwu

i really dig that circle 7 transition in the intro. did that ever make it on-air? i never see it in the current package. i feel like that form-up pops up in promos from time to time but i've never seen that transition, lol

20 minutes ago, newspulse said:

i had a feeling that this proooobably wasn't supposed to be on-air with how rough the talent shots are! good to have you confirm it uwu

i really dig that circle 7 transition in the intro. did that ever make it on-air? i never see it in the current package. i feel like that form-up pops up in promos from time to time but i've never seen that transition, lol

The logo "spinning" in, or coming into form is the same as it is everywhere, just on an angle, and the effect of it zooming out to reveal Judy is similar to a lot of the in-broadcast transitions.

Just now, 24994J said:

The logo "spinning" in, or coming into form is the same as it is everywhere, just on an angle, and the effect of it zooming out to reveal Judy is similar to a lot of the in-broadcast transitions.

well now you have me curious. i'm gonna be keepin an eye on 7 and lookin for some of  these elements, never really bothered to pay attention until now so i can't compare off memory.

i need an excuse to watch my locals anyway 👀

That opener is awkward in the sense that it has a "WEATHER" transition before Cheryl Scott but not a "SPORTS" transition before Jim Rose. The current openers have both. You'd think you'd either have to stay with both, or ditch those transitions altogether.

9 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

That opener is awkward in the sense that it has a "WEATHER" transition before Cheryl Scott but not a "SPORTS" transition before Jim Rose. The current openers have both. You'd think you'd either have to stay with both, or ditch those transitions altogether.

honestly? the entirely way this is cut feels really awkward. it's amazing how much a simple transition effect and a more defined background like the current ones can change that tbh!!

the concept is definitely interesting though...

3 hours ago, newspulse said:

not sure if this was used on a special occasion, it was very early in the package's history, or what. those glass panel things seem more angular than the normal open we see them use

Indeed. The talent sequence didn't make the cut due to its angularity, which the current pack does not possess. It's not uncommon for a creative department to play with a few ideas prior to the deadline. ABC played with a few concepts for their now-former Special Report intro which inevitably led to their final cut.

I'll reiterate, this would've been an update to the original package, as 3 members of this broadcast weren't in place (2 not even at the station) in 2013. It also features the updated circle 7 logo that didn't debut til mid-2017. While this would lean more into the angular look, it's not hardly isolated, as many in-show elements use them, including the basic full-screen graphics.

Archived