WRAL (finally) Getting a New Set

TheMassMediaGeek

And here I thought they had the newsroom set since...what, the 80s?--and they just put a monitor wall in front of it recently.

This looks like it'll be a proper set--again, a shame that newsroom sets are going by the wayside. But also seems like a decent excuse for another In-Sink update.

23 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

This looks like it'll be a proper set--again, a shame that newsroom sets are going by the wayside. But also seems like a decent excuse for another In-Sink update.

Based on what we saw of the temp set it appears they moved the desk and made a printed backdrop while showing an empty studio.  So I’m wondering was the current newsroom set a former studio (of the empty one they showed) that they built up and around? 

I'm not gonna lie I was getting settled to this set they currently have but I'ma miss the newsroom studio so glad there moving into a real studio. Otherwise now ABC 11 Durham studios can get renovated now.  But I'm starting to notice this was the studio for there temporary set that they had before moving into there current set.

18 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Based on what we saw of the temp set it appears they moved the desk and made a printed backdrop while showing an empty studio.  So I’m wondering was the current newsroom set a former studio (of the empty one they showed) that they built up and around? 

The most recent version of WRAL's newsroom dates back to 2001 right when they started doing HD newscasts. This article says a new facility had been constructed, but I'm not quite sure if it was a brand new build in a brick-and-mortar sense or just a complete tear-down and rebuild of the open newsroom area they had since the 1980s.

http://history.capitolbroadcasting.com/media-assets/timelapse-wral-newsroom-interior-expansion/?from=9 

The desk hasn't been moved. It's in the same place. They've just removed the monitors they put behind the anchors, which blocked off the newsroom, and put up a printed backdrop. As I was told a few years ago when the monitors were installed, it was because consultants said they needed to look more like their competitors and the anchors were griping about noise from the newsroom and distractions in the background. The last time I drove by their Western Blvd. studios, they were building an addition onto the building. I believe that is where the new set is going. We shall see soon since they're targeting an end of October launch.

16 hours ago, TennTV1983 said:

The most recent version of WRAL's newsroom dates back to 2001 right when they started doing HD newscasts. This article says a new facility had been constructed, but I'm not quite sure if it was a brand new build in a brick-and-mortar sense or just a complete tear-down and rebuild of the open newsroom area they had since the 1980s.

http://history.capitolbroadcasting.com/media-assets/timelapse-wral-newsroom-interior-expansion/?from=9 

Whoa, that's really neat. An entire website solely dedicated to the history of the station, right down to the date and time.

12 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

https://www.wral.com/sneak-peek-wral-s-new-set-to-be-unveiled-next-week/18716075/

Monday at Noon. And a sneak peak at the set. 4K cameras! 

— Matt 

Why 4K cameras? Unless they've upgraded the video codec and the tower to support 4K, what is really the point? To brag that they've got 4K?

29 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Why 4K cameras? Unless they've upgraded the video codec and the tower to support 4K, what is really the point? To brag that they've got 4K?

They've originated the majority of TV technology through the years as a testing ground...and they also have WRAL-EX, a separate station broadcasting 4k content and 1080p NBC. So yes, it is an investment that will show on the air and not just bragging rights.

If they're futureproofing for 4K, I'm cautiously excited to see how this set's going to turn out - really hoping it's something that can take advantage of the resolution and technology and pop... and that it's not just another video wall.

OK, I'm curious -- when did these opens happen??  

The opens borrow some elements from the last graphics package, which is now several years old.

They're quite a departure from the look the station was going for when In Sink V5 debuted:

If I had to guess, new graphics could be coming with the new set.

1 hour ago, mark said:

OK, I'm curious -- when did these opens happen??  

The opens borrow some elements from the last graphics package, which is now several years old.

They're quite a departure from the look the station was going for when In Sink V5 debuted:

If I had to guess, new graphics could be coming with the new set.

That packaged used in 2011 was designed for WABC.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:40 AM, susquvalleywgal said:

https://www.wral.com/sneak-peek-wral-s-new-set-to-be-unveiled-next-week/18716075/

Monday at Noon. And a sneak peak at the set. 4K cameras! 

— Matt 

Looks like the new studio debut got pushed back a day or two as they're still on the newsroom set as of this evening.

Archived