Edd Kalehoff and how he got screwed on The Price is Right

noggi

Great episode today of Twenty Thousand Hertz where Edd Kalehoff talks about the origins of The Price is Right theme.

https://www.20k.org/episodes/thepriceisright

Also, if you haven't checked out this podcast yet, they have done some great episodes on the history of the NBC chimes, emergency broadcast system tone, and even news music -- featuring (former?) TVNT member Victor Vlam who runs networknewsmusic.com https://www.20k.org/episodes/sixoclocksoundtrack 

first of all, thank you for puttin me onto this podcast cuz it’s honestly just the kind of niche stuff i live for!! listened to both episodes linked and loved both. victor vlam really sums up my own relationship w/ news music (especially me with old gari themes...)

secondly, i’m no copyright lawyer but you think that kalehoff would be able to secure royalties for at least the updated version? or is it just way too late for him to get some kinda production/writing credits on that? It’s a shame honestly.

Was The Price Is Right theme song due for an update? One could argue that it was for the simple fact that prior to Bob Barker's retirement the overall music package was bascially the same as it was back in the 70s (some of the cues date back to around the 1976 to 1979 timeframe). Ironically enough some of the musical cues (i.e. the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour theme song) were still in use for several years into the Drew Carey era

On 10/16/2019 at 2:13 PM, oknewsguy said:

Was The Price Is Right theme song due for an update? One could argue that it was for the simple fact that prior to Bob Barker's retirement the overall music package was bascially the same as it was back in the 70s (some of the cues date back to around the 1976 to 1979 timeframe). Ironically enough some of the musical cues (i.e. the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour theme song) were still in use for several years into the Drew Carey era

In the podcast, Kalehoff notes that Drew wanted the theme updated because he noticed it was in mono and sounded flat. The 2007 update made it stereo.

Archived