WITI New Set?

trev57

Seeing WITI using the WDAF graphics package is not surprising to me. To see them only using Avenir as the font, its not too big of a change from the mixture of Arial, Helvetica, and Rockwell used on WDAF and KSTU, but its still easy on the eyes. Plus, the set looks amazing!

54 minutes ago, Samantha said:

The problem is that Avenir doesn't match their logo a lot. The grotesque/humanist sans clash is real.

It seems like the same problem that seemed to freeze them from switching to the O&O kitebox in 2007 (that was probably for the best though); the 4:3 logo was so frozen in so many places around the station and the 13 years before had a 'too many logos' issue, that they compromised with the version they have now, and they don't want to lose whatever equity/stability it holds.

On another note, they were using Studio A for WakeUp.

On 10/31/2019 at 9:47 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I see they got the updated Tribune package but the font looks slightly different... HOWEVER, everything is a HUGE improvement over the aged crap they had before...

Not slightly, they swapped out the Rockwall and whatever the sans serif font was that was used in the original version of the package with Avenir, which probably would have made it look better when WDAF first implemented it. The setitng of the typeface could be tweaked to better fit the L3s, but otherwise, it's a decent interpretation of the WDAF/KTXL pack.

7 hours ago, whammypower788 said:

At the end of yesterday's WakeUp, along with promoting the Studio A set, they mentioned that there's now a new WakeUp set coming.

Will be interesting to see what they do there. The WakeUp set is pretty old at this point, but has really stood the test of time and still looks fairly modern. Basically the only reason to update it is because of its age.

All of this makes WTMJ's recent low-budget set "updates" look super cheap. Being outdone by Tribune/Nexstar... Ouch!

30 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

That graphics package is growing on me.  I would hope Fox allows them to keep the package, at least in some form.  But I doubt it.

Keep in mind WITI just got Beyond so the musical aspect of it is safe at this point, as far as the graphics goes it probably won't last for too much longer.

43 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

And who knows if the set will, honestly.

I'd say give it a couple of years, but considering WITI's past, that station has been sort of the oddball of the Fox O&Os when it came to standardization.

Come on, folks. Let's not start this. FOX isn't going to throw out a perfectly good set (that doesn't even look much different than most of their O&O sets) just because.

The graphics will probably get replaced in a year or two. 

21 hours ago, cg41386 said:

If I recall, they didn’t get that style of logo because it wouldn’t fit on their new set or something.

At the time they got the SD O&O package, they were still on the 1998 "Newscenter" set, which was covered in horizontal logos similar to the one they still use. It was also right around the same time FOX sold them, so FOX probably wasn't interested in doing a bunch of work to force them to use a logo that station management clearly didn't want, and that would likely be replaced once under new ownership anyways.

A vertical "kitebox" FOX6 logo did appear a few times on their "MyFoxMilwaukee" website.

FOX is still in love with the kitebox logo design, and unless they can somehow come up with an excuse like KTVU did, they'll probably be pushed into using one.

Luckily, there are no physical logos on the updated set.

15 minutes ago, Weeters said:

FOX is still in love with the kitebox logo design, and unless they can somehow come up with an excuse like KTVU did, they'll probably be pushed into using one.

Ehhhhhh I wouldn't say that. Have you noticed FOX O&Os are using paired down horizontal logos as bugs and even in some of the opens? NY, LA, and Chicago have all largely phased out significant use of the kitebox on-air. Adding KTVU into the fold really helped with that.

Really, between the Disney sale and the pickup of more stations, it should really be a moment for the FTS hub to consider a new package across the board that severs the ties of old and affords some more distance from Ailes-era FNC.

32 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

Ehhhhhh I wouldn't say that. Have you noticed FOX O&Os are using paired down horizontal logos as bugs and even in some of the opens? NY, LA, and Chicago have all largely phased out significant use of the kitebox on-air. Adding KTVU into the fold really helped with that.

Really, between the Disney sale and the pickup of more stations, it should really be a moment for the FTS hub to consider a new package across the board that severs the ties of old and affords some more distance from Ailes-era FNC.

A new graphics package is coming. I've heard it looks a lot like what we've already seen with the new elements that have shown up on WNYW. It's all what you'd expect: flat with lots of wiping transitions. I believe there will be a blue and gold version in addition to the blue and red.

I don't know anything about the kitebox logos being phased out. They at least will not be in the bug in the new graphics. The kitebox has certainly been de-emphasized overall, though on the other hand, the kitebox logos are on the headers of the web platform that rolled out in the last two months.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, Weeters said:

Come on, folks. Let's not start this. FOX isn't going to throw out a perfectly good set (that doesn't even look much different than most of their O&O sets) just because.

The graphics will probably get replaced in a year or two. 

Doesn't look much different? I suspect just the anchor desk will be replaced.

Archived