WITI New Set?

trev57

Not sure if this is something or nothing, but I noticed recently that WITI is broadcasting all of their newscasts from the "studio B" morning set. I haven't heard anything about a new set, but the current one is going on seven years.

I kind of doubt it would be a full new set. If it is anything at all, it could be an adjustment to lighting and duratrans to match a new graphics package. But, just a total guess.

(The morning news set is even older, because they were in that set when they were building studio A.)

WITI is a station that could use standardization (they still occasionally use cues from Magnum and Extreme after 21 years!)...though it would be hilarious if they took up Locals Only three years after WTMJ abandoned it since Aerial is with WDJT.

It's the perfect time anyways, with off air periods as Milwaukee is the lucky market for spectrum reallocation next week.

18 hours ago, Info Junkie said:

A new graphics package? Could it be that Nexstar is phasing some Linear Drift on the piss that is WITI’s graphics or a new package that was in the works before Tribune got gobbled up?

(YES THIS IS SPECULATION)

This wouldn't happen this fast. Whatever is happening was started while under Tribune control.

I wouldn't be shocked if it's the same graphics package KTXL debut right before the switch.

It's entirely likely the old Tribune graphics hub is still providing them services, since Nexstar got KTLA, where it was located.

10 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I wonder if any pre-Tribune Nexstar stations will adopt any Tribune graphics packages.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Tribune Fox graphics pack show up at a Nexstar station that wasn't first owned by Tribune...

1 hour ago, LoadStar said:

Just to be clear, my post about the graphics was also speculation. It could be something entirely boring like refinishing the floor or just getting new light instruments.

Very possible. They did replace their ancient robotic cameras within the past year, and from what I've seen, when the current set went in they just recycled the lighting fixtures already in their inventory to light it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a set refresh though. November sweeps start in a few weeks, and starting now would put them well on track to debut any changes before that starts and leave room for any issues should they arise.

They did have trouble with their lighting system earlier this year, though it kind of looks like someone just bumped the master fader on accident and didn't notice. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having troubles embedding it, but Ted Perry posted another video to Facebook. In that one he says they are on the morning show set because they are “remodeling next door, and that’s a whole other issue, but it’s gonna look great.”

Launched on the 4pm newscast; unfortunately, I didn't get the DVR going until three minutes into the 5pm newscast.

5pm newscast confirmed it is an FX Group set, with their first-ever curved LED background incorporated into it.

The graphics look similar to KTXL, but they're not the same. Maybe an in-house remake?

EDIT: Music is confirmed to be Stephen Arnold's Beyond.

It definitely looks like their own take on the last Tribune Fox package... I'm not as familiar with it. Overall it's a nice update. Some rough edges to smooth out. Looks like they switched to Stephen Arnold's Beyond. 

It's the best WITI has looked in many years.

There's some weirdness with the graphics. It's nice but there's a few little odds and ends that, if they cleaned them up, would make the package great.

The combination of set and graphics is probably their best cohesive look since the 1998 graphics and set debut.

15 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Why am I getting Nexstar/MG vibes with this? 🤔

This project started days after the transaction closed. Started under Tribune, long before Nexstar was handed the keys.

Could the set have been influenced by Nextstar sets? Possibly, but no more than it could have been influenced by Hearst, Scripps, and the others.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:59 PM, LoadStar said:

I kind of doubt it would be a full new set. If it is anything at all, it could be an adjustment to lighting and duratrans to match a new graphics package. But, just a total guess.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:49 PM, LoadStar said:

Just to be clear, my post about the graphics was also speculation. It could be something entirely boring like refinishing the floor or just getting new light instruments.

LOL! I was pretty much dead-on with my guesses! Looks like they refinished the floor and replaced the duratrans in the backdrop to match the new graphics package. The only really new piece is the curved display at home base.

It's not a graphics package with 8 variations of Arial and Helvetica .

That's a win in my book. And from where they could have been 18 months ago, they dodged whatever blandness and flag-waving dullness Sinclair would have forced upon them.

1 hour ago, LoadStar said:

LOL! I was pretty much dead-on with my guesses! Looks like they refinished the floor and replaced the duratrans in the backdrop to match the new graphics package. The only really new piece is the curved display at home base.

There the home base LED wall, and desk in the Real Milwaukee part of the set (Goodbye early 2000's FOX O&O desk...)

The studio lighting looks like it might have been replaced too.

This makes WTMJ's badly refreshed set look even worse.

Edit: here's the timelapse:

It does look like they actually essentially tore down and rebuilt the entire set in order to resurface it.

Archived