Shep Smith leaving Fox News

C Block

9 minutes ago, GoldenShine9 said:

My guess is he ends up as a lead anchor at a major market station, if an opening becomes available.

I can't see him downgrading to that level. I see CNN or CBS News in his future.

9 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

The question is what happens to Fox News now that one of their most trusted journalists is leaving. Does Fox News double down on the punditry? Or does Fox News maintain status quo without Shep?

I'm guessing Fox keeps that hour for news and extends Daily Briefing with Dana Perino to two hours.

9 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

The question is what happens to Fox News now that one of their most trusted journalists is leaving. Does Fox News double down on the punditry? Or does Fox News maintain status quo without Shep?

Tough decision. I know many of their viewers want more punditry (pro-Trump that is) but that is loaded with risks.

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

I can't see him downgrading to that level. I see CNN or CBS News in his future.

I'm guessing Fox keeps that hour for news and extends Daily Briefing with Dana Perino to two hours.

Forget what I said about CNN...

Wow, I'm legit shocked.

I've pondered recently about Shep leaving Fox someday, but not this soon. I wish him all the best.

1 hour ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Could the anger from the MAGA people who are the primary viewers be the key here? They want a more pro-Trump cast?

Dunno for sure, but I feel the former (and the MAGA master himself) at play.

1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

The question is what happens to Fox News now that one of their most trusted journalists is leaving? [Will they] double down on the punditry? Or [can they] maintain status quo without Shep?

I know one thing: IMO they'll be worse off without Shep. They certainly can't qualify as "Fair and Balanced" without him on the roster anymore. At least they'll still have Chris Wallace...

The biggest factor in all of this that I think we haven't discussed yet on this thread is the feaud that sprouted between Smith and Tucker Carlson and apparently Fox slapped Smith with some sort of a monetary fine and he basically decided to quit because he didn't like the fact that he had been fined by Fox.

I don't know how true and accurate that is but that's my educated guess on that situation

I heard earlier this week Smith was talking with Ole Miss about a special position at the university, maybe teaching one class. But I find it difficult to believe he would want to sit out an election year, not knowing the terms of his NCA. 

19 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

The biggest factor in all of this {...} is the feud that sprouted between Smith and Tucker Carlson ; apparently Fox slapped Smith with some monetary fine and he quit because he didn't like that he had been fined.

15 hours ago, atlnews2 said:

sounds like Fox execs telling Shep to stop attacking Carlson and Hannity was the straw that broke the camel's back

Damn. It's really sad to find yourself in a stupid inter-company "war" with (an)other worker(s), and even more so when you lose thanks to the company siding with (and boosting) the moronic "opposition". Carlson and Hannity are even more loathsome to me now, and Shep really didn't deserve all this.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:45 PM, oknewsguy said:

The biggest factor in all of this that I think we haven't discussed yet on this thread is the feaud that sprouted between Smith and Tucker Carlson and apparently Fox slapped Smith with some sort of a monetary fine and he basically decided to quit because he didn't like the fact that he had been fined by Fox.

I don't know how true and accurate that is but that's my educated guess on that situation

Where has it been reported that Fox "apparently" fined Smith?

6 hours ago, David Salter JR said:

who replaces shep on SOTU/primetime presidential speech/election night coverage on Fox broadcast? My guess is it will either be Jon Scott or Trace Gallagher

I would guess that Chris Wallace would handle FOX broadcast (given he’s a familiar face with Fox News Sunday) with Bret and Martha (or Shannon) for FNC. Honestly, it’s too early to say what will happen. 

6 minutes ago, jase said:

I would guess that Chris Wallace would handle FOX broadcast (given he’s a familiar face with Fox News Sunday) with Bret and Martha (or Shannon) for FNC. Honestly, it’s too early to say what will happen. 

Jon Scott, though, has often been the backup anchor for special reports and special presentations on Big FOX.

3 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

Jon Scott, though, has often been the backup anchor for special reports and special presentations on Big FOX.

In theory, it could be him (or anyone else). We may be getting ahead of ourselves. All of this came out of the blue, so I wouldn’t expect any major moves/decisions anytime soon.

16 hours ago, David Salter JR said:

who replaces shep on SOTU/primetime presidential speech/election night coverage on Fox broadcast? My guess is it will either be Jon Scott or Trace Gallagher

This is assuming Fox will still have a "news" division.

Archived