2019-20 NHL/NBA season

Viper550

Sportsnet: Nothing new, even with their promos suggesting the possibility of a flat package, it seems like the Blue Jays were a higher priority right now.

NBCSN: We got the SNF ticker and new inserts with a diamond motif, but it looks like the studio graphics are still the typical NBC 2015 look.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I'm gonna say is this...

Blackouts like Dish and the former Fox RSNs now owned by Sinclair, NBC Sports Chicago, and this one with Altitude all have a common denominator.

People like Dish CEO Charlie Ergan are tired of the fees that these RSNs are commanding for very little content that they air outside of live sports. So why carry 20+ regional sports channels that are essentially informercial channels outside of live sports that have very little content.

I think at the end of the day teams in the NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, etc. are all gonna have to go digital because I see the RSN bubble bursting within the next 5 to 10 years and when it does it's gonna be ugly.

10 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

All I'm gonna say is this...

Blackouts like Dish and the former Fox RSNs now owned by Sinclair, NBC Sports Chicago, and this one with Altitude all have a common denominator.

People like Dish CEO Charlie Ergan are tired of the fees that these RSNs are commanding for very little content that they air outside of live sports. So why carry 20+ regional sports channels that are essentially informercial channels outside of live sports that have very little content.

I think at the end of the day teams in the NBA, NHL, MLB, MLS, etc. are all gonna have to go digital because I see the RSN bubble bursting within the next 5 to 10 years and when it does it's gonna be ugly.

I agree. I haven't watched an RSN for anything except live sports since the mid-2000s when they still had better peripheral content. The minute the game is over, I tune away.

27 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

NBA TV is producing original regular-season games this season (they already produce original playoff broadcasts)

I think it's safe to say that Brian Anderson is a Turner employee since he does a lot of stuff for Turner Sports and NBA TV in addition to his work with the Brewers on Fox Sports Wisconsin 

3 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

I think it's safe to say that Brian Anderson is a Turner employee since he does a lot of stuff for Turner Sports and NBA TV in addition to his work with the Brewers on Fox Sports Wisconsin 

Brian Anderson is a great choice. I was hoping CBS would utilize him for more NFL games, but that didn't come to be.

4 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Whenever Marv Albert hangs it up, I fully expect Brian Anderson to take a full-time role on TNT's Thursday NBA games. He's already their #1 on MLB coverage and #4 on NCAA March Madness. He's been a huge asset for Turner Sports. He definitely makes the big moments exciting and could some day be #1 on all of their sports coverage.

I have a possible reason for why Sportsnet may not have updated their NHL graphics: their contracts with the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers are up after this season, and given how cheap our networks are in this department, they probably don't want to make new intros for regional broadcasts if there's a chance one of them will only be used for a single season. Conveniently, the current graphics also meet this criteria, as they had acquired rights to the Canadiens as well.

I'm expecting the Oilers to renew with Sportsnet, though. Rogers is a major team sponsor and the naming rights holder of their current arena, so I fully expect them to keep it. But the Flames present a potential opportunity for TSN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Viper550 said:

Nothing new on NBC for the Winter Classic.

Except the ad banner on their ticker is even wider. I know ripping off ESPN is the thing to do, but now you're just overdoing it.

It's like that on NBCSN, too. 

On 1/1/2020 at 6:51 PM, JCB4TV said:

NBC must be content on the 2015 graphics although they are now FIVE years old.

It kinda feels like they were content with just refreshing the NFL look in 2018 and keeping everything else the same indefinitely. I have to wonder if they'll wait until the Super Bowl in 2022 to consider merging both packages into a single new package.

So it seems as if Sportsnet may be backing away from the "only use Sportsnet logos on Hockey Night in Canada" thing or there was a slight mix-up in the truck: the HNIC logo is back on the scoreboard on the Flames/Oilers game (although the Canadiens/Senators game earlier had a Sportsnet one). Replay bug was still the Sportsnet logo though

19 hours ago, Viper550 said:

So it seems as if Sportsnet may be backing away from the "only use Sportsnet logos on Hockey Night in Canada" thing or there was a slight mix-up in the truck: the HNIC logo is back on the scoreboard on the Flames/Oilers game (although the Canadiens/Senators game earlier had a Sportsnet one). Replay bug was still the Sportsnet logo though

I saw that too.

I noticed that the last few weeks, the late game used the HNIC logo to open the broadcast (it's a lower third that runs usually over an establishing shot of the arena).

But I think last night must've been some kind of mix-up.  Maybe the truck they were using wasn't the one they usually used, couldn't accept the SN template but had the old one and they decided to go with it.

I found it kinda odd that they sent Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson to cover the late game.  Wonder how they decided to send the A-crew.  Did they really not want to sit through Sens-Habs?  Lol.

One more thing I've found odd is the scheduling of the Sportsnet channels during HNIC which has been going on since the beginning of 2019.  On Jan 3rd, CBC and Sportsnet Ontario/West/Pacific ran the Leafs and the Islanders, Citytv and Sportsnet East ran Pittsburgh and Montreal and Sportsnet One ran a Sens game for the early game.  Don't really see a point for it TBH.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me guess, it's a carbon copy of the ESPN BottomLine ticker except in this case, it's in reverse.

The ads for the shows are on the left side of the ticker instead of the right, and the NBA TV logo is on the righthand side of the ticker instead of the lefthand side.

Archived