KCTV new set

TheRob

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, plzstandby said:

Just saw a promo that show elements of the new set. Spoiler it’s the KPHO/WSMV set 

I knew it! One more to go. There was apparently three of us.

54 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

I knew it! One more to go. There was apparently three of us.

That third one is a mystery as we haven't heard another Meredith station announce they were getting a new set. At least three are probably overdue for one.

1 hour ago, TennTV1983 said:

That third one is a mystery as we haven't heard another Meredith station announce they were getting a new set. At least three are probably overdue for one.

WHNS perhaps?  I think their set was originally designed for widescreen SD.  It seems tiny and cramped, although it looks less washed out than it used to be.

WALA's goes back to 2012, it was an FX job under Lin and refreshed in 2017 with their current graphics.

Of course, there's Atlanta....why not blow them up yet again and give the old set to one of their more needy stations?

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WHNS perhaps?  I think their set was originally designed for widescreen SD.  It seems tiny and cramped, although it looks less washed out than it used to be.

WALA's goes back to 2012, it was an FX job under Lin and refreshed in 2017 with their current graphics.

Of course, there's Atlanta....why not blow them up yet again and give the old set to one of their more needy stations?

There's no telling which Meredith stations could be next in line for set makeover.  I'd say KVVU looks to be due for a makeover, and I'd imagine them getting KPHO/WSMV set too.

What stands out on the KPHO/WSMV set is the main anchor desk having what looks like a popped out LED box ticker display.  It'll be interesting to see whether KCTV gets that too.

8 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I will say KVVU is due for a refresh of some sorts... They are dated all around

Yet, when I was in Vegas weeks ago, I enjoyed KVVU more than the others, maybe because the others are owned by less than fruitful companies (Sincrap, Nexcheap and the "hit or miss" Scripps).

No don't call Nexstar cheap they just brought out a whole entire company and are buying a FOX O&O 3 hours away from my market. Now will I say the big three in Vegas are crappy sure but I mean it's better than what Entravision done KINC in Las Vegas. With there sets.

21 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Yet, when I was in Vegas weeks ago, I enjoyed KVVU more than the others, maybe because the others are owned by less than fruitful companies (Sincrap, Nexcheap and the "hit or miss" Scripps).

No don't call Nexstar cheap they just brought out a whole entire company and are buying a FOX O&O 3 hours away from my market. Now will I say the big three in Vegas are crappy sure but I mean it's better than what Entravision done KINC in Las Vegas. With there sets.

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Why are you sticking up for Nexstar, unless you’re Perry Sook, uh... Gavin, if that’s your REAL name!

20 hours ago, Gavin said:

In Vegas, Nexstar *is* cheap.  KLAS used to have hard news stories and sound production values before Uncle Perry took the wheel.

KVVU excels at its take on localism in the news, and they deserve a new set to go with it.

Can't speak to the work environment at KLAS, but I think their graphics/set elements are far better under Nexstar (compared to the final years under Landmark).  Off-topic here, I realize, but felt I should mention that.

But I agree that KVVU could use a new set.  WHNS in Greenville-Spartanburg could use a new set, as well.

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

Bumping this thread, but has the set debuted yet?

I checked last week and it hasn't. I wonder what the hold up is, it literally only took a month for WSMV to get the new set. Their studio must have needed a lot of extra work (floors replacing, etc.). Principally, the set design was done and installed in less than a week. Unless they're still rehearsing or fine-tuning, or like I said they had some construction setbacks, it shouldn't be taking this long.

In fact, the set people should have been at KCTV since the last week of construction at WSMV ended, which was about two months ago this week.

Set is EXACTLY what WSMV got, right down to the weather center. It’s also layout wise exactly the same.

I am noticing the lighting isn’t very good on KCTV’s set, may need some adjustments because from the videos I saw the people are very dark. There’s also some issues with the video marquee boards (on the desk and in the weather center header) and you can tell the video in those was not formatted correctly since the logos are stretched.

Honestly, that set should not have taken as long as it did to go on the air to have the issues they have with lighting and the other aesthetics.

17 minutes ago, KentBrockman said:

Set is EXACTLY what WSMV got, right down to the weather center. It’s also layout wise exactly the same.

I am noticing the lighting isn’t very good on KCTV’s set, may need some adjustments because from the videos I saw the people are very dark. There’s also some issues with the video marquee boards (on the desk and in the weather center header) and you can tell the video in those was not formatted correctly since the logos are stretched.

Honestly, that set should not have taken as long as it did to go on the air to have the issues they have with lighting and the other aesthetics.

They apparently played dodgeball in the studio after tearing down the old set and putting in the new set.

Archived