The WNEP Newswatch 16 Thread for ALL of Northeastern and Central Pennsylvania!

There was a Talkback 16 segment that aired earlier tonight.

They did have a portion where callers were calling in about the "new changes" that WNEP was promoting in the lead up to today (its toward the end of the video).

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/opinion/talkback/talkback-16-coronavirus-and-kurts-hair/523-4d31169b-73c0-404e-b200-391d597d762b

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:14 PM, Mrtraveler01 said:

There was a Talkback 16 segment that aired earlier tonight.

They did have a portion where callers were calling in about the "new changes" that WNEP was promoting in the lead up to today (its toward the end of the video).

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/opinion/talkback/talkback-16-coronavirus-and-kurts-hair/523-4d31169b-73c0-404e-b200-391d597d762b

"I noticed you changed the color from purple to blue, so I'm hoping it's going to stay blue for every newscast."

Oh that poor man. I can only imagine his horror when he woke up in the morning and when he saw that TalkBack using blue, purple and orange. Joking aside, I wonder what kind of changes Tegna might have made if they had this type of feed back in 2017/18. It makes one think if this is WNEP's sly knock at Tegna.

12 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

You have to wonder if the people complaining about the size of the font are watching it on the SD feed.

I figured the font size would be one complaint, but I didn't realize how passionate people were about the colors in a newscast. 

Edited by Mrtraveler01
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 8:09 AM, Mrtraveler01 said:

You have to wonder if the people complaining about the size of the font are watching it on the SD feed.

I figured the font size would be one complaint, but I didn't realize how passionate people were about the colors in a newscast. 

Because NEPA is a special place.  

-- Matt

• Like 2

I remember when Belo changed the graphics at WWL back 8 or 9 years ago (I think) with a rotating logo bug in the right corner. The viewers complained left and right on social media and probably via phone too and within a week the rotating graphic was frozen. I wonder if more complaints ensued once Belo and Gannett merged to become TEGNA and launched the standardized packages to WWL. I'm sure Tegna brass said "to hell with the viewers" this time. I bet someone at WNEP gave Tegna brass the run down on what effects could happen if they ditch MCTYW Schwartz-style like ABC did with WPVI.

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The question is....what is WNEP Newswatch 16 doing with porta-potties?

The same thing KUSA is doing with them - ensuring talent and photogs working in the field don't have to come inside to use the bathroom and potentially spread the coronavirus.

Not a joke.

Edited by TSSZNews

2 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

The same thing KUSA is doing with them - ensuring talent and photogs working in the field don't have to come inside to use the bathroom and potentially spread the coronavirus.

Not a joke.

That makes sense.  They're also good with keeping the sewer lines cleaner especially if people are resorting to less "flush-ready" methods of toilet paper.

I'm a little bummed about WTHR getting Tegnafied (on top of everything else), so it's really nice to see WNEP being the little corner of the Tegna empire that is still kinda doing its own thing. I saw WNEP's stuff a few times when visiting family years ago, but I also completely forgot about Talkback 16 (I remember seeing clips on Last Week Tonight a few years ago)—the criticism and praise of the graphics from random people was just....perfect.

Also, I just realized with WNEP being owned by Tribune previously, they were using the graphics that I think started at WTTV...it looks like they left the swirling CBS logo background in a few places hoping people wouldn't notice?!

IMG_0032.jpeg

Edited by ecs0013
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

The morning weather when Snedeker is on makes a graphic artist like myself CRINGE.  The 7-Day looks slapped together by a 5 year old. Nothing in-line, differing fonts, the boxes just put wherever. 🤢🤢 

Not to mention, in the AM and Noon, Temperatures for all days are displayed "High/Low", but in all other dayparts, it's "Low/High".  Why?

I realize WNEP can get away with most anything it seems in the TEGNA empire, but my god, I wonder if anyone at corporate pays attention to their broadcasts.

nep-7day.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, NEPANews said:

The morning weather when Snedeker is on makes a graphic artist like myself CRINGE.  The 7-Day looks slapped together by a 5 year old. Nothing in-line, differing fonts, the boxes just put wherever. 🤢🤢 

Not to mention, in the AM and Noon, Temperatures for all days are displayed "High/Low", but in all other dayparts, it's "Low/High".  Why?

I realize WNEP can get away with most anything it seems in the TEGNA empire, but my god, I wonder if anyone at corporate pays attention to their broadcasts.

nep-7day.png

He needs to be in my freshman year Digital Media Design course in college. I'm only 3 weeks in and this goes against everything I've learned.

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NEPANews said:

nep-7day.png

TEGNA didn't care ever since they watched a WHAM CAM segment with Joe.  Just saying.

-- Matt

On 9/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, NEPANews said:

nep-7day.png

Remember... its The Next 7 Days of Your Life!

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, NEPANews said:

nep-7day.png

What's you complaining about? This (up there) is tame! You should see what he did with the Tribune graphics. TEGNA knew what they was walking in to and still decided to keep it and "The Next 7 Days of Your Life" because it's a "GREAT DAY TO BE ALIVE!". Besides, this is the morning newscast not the 6pm update.

• 6 months later...

Word out of WNEP is that both the longtime General Manager and News Director are retiring in the next month.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/3/18/and-now-the-news-director-is-leaving

Both have been around a long time, going all the way back to the original MCTYW....

It does beg the question if whoever comes in could change the music?  Or will they hold their ground against Tegna and take the side of the viewers who may revolt if such a change is ever made? 

39 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It does beg the question if whoever comes in could change the music?  Or will they hold their ground against Tegna and take the side of the viewers who may revolt if such a change is ever made? 

I suspect they'll bring in someone who will toe the corporate line. I say let 'em. The resulting TalkBack 16s will be legendary.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Haha 2