TennTV1983

WJHL, the CBS and ABC-affiliated station in the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, and Johnson City), recently debuted a new set this past Tuesday, and with it received new graphics that are much like the ones currently used at KOIN 6.

Article:

https://www.wjhl.com/news/local/wjhl-abc-tri-cities-debuts-new-studio-tuesday-at-5-p-m/

Update: In addition to new graphics, they have also dumped Canvas for Aerial.

You know this looks like a more toned down and industrial look of the more recent Nexstar looks (see: KSNW, KSNT). Or maybe like a retro revitalization idea of WGN.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:04 AM, LexTVandRadio said:

Looks nice! Not the biggest fan of the 11 logo. 

On 9/21/2019 at 9:12 AM, susquvalleywgal said:

Same … I'm surprised Nexstar allowed them to keep that.

I wonder if it's so ugly it's almost iconic. We look back at some logos of the 70s on here with design horror. It's so...humble...that it's nearly contemporary.

Also, kudos to the station for posting such a long and elaborate timelapse. It really gave a sense of the scale and time of the production. Too many of these time lapses are seemingly under 1 minute with a few pictures taken every 6 hours.

On 9/25/2019 at 6:06 PM, MidwestTV said:

Aerial is the new iNERGY in terms of widespread mass pickup by local TV. I'm sick of it.

Aerial has always had more providence than iNERGY. Aerial originated in 2010 for Central Florida News 13 (Spectrum News 13) while iNERGY was developed for Scripps in 2012.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:04 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

Aerial has always had more providence than iNERGY. Aerial originated in 2010 for Central Florida News 13 (Spectrum News 13) while iNERGY was developed for Scripps in 2012.

You would think the groups would spend just a little more money to produce a custom theme they own outright, instead of letting it make it's rounds in other markets and other groups.

There probably is some non-compete clause where the theme can't be used in the same market, even after the company drops it....i.e. "This is Home" can't be used on another station after Gannett/Tegna drops it.

Probably the most infamous "letting go" is the old Stephen Arnold Sinclair theme being merged into U-Phonix.  WVUE uses some of these cuts.

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

You would think the groups would spend just a little more money to produce a custom theme they own outright, instead of letting it make it's rounds in other markets and other groups.

There probably is some non-compete clause where the theme can't be used in the same market, even after the company drops it....i.e. "This is Home" can't be used on another station after Gannett/Tegna drops it.

Probably the most infamous "letting go" is the old Stephen Arnold Sinclair theme being merged into U-Phonix.  WVUE uses some of these cuts.

It's not just a bit more money. It's a lot of money. Hearst has a decade (at least) multi-hundred thousand dollar deal with InTheGroove Music. Beyond was composed exclusively for FOX affiliate stations by Stephen Arnold with roll-out to the FTS.

Groups like Sinclair can command so much power because they dominate so much of their markets. However, they don't own the rights to their music in perpetuity either. Daily News is now available for license, probably with the caveat that it can't be used in markets where Sinclair has coverage.

However, it doesn't behoove a group to have music rights tied in perpetuity when licensing per station pays so little and saturation increases return. Stephen Arnold is successful because they play the licensing game better than anyone. Just watch and notice that any future group that contracts a package through them will be given market exclusivity and maybe a year roll-out head start, but the new package will quickly be licensed to other stations.

Additionally, I believe that Stephen Arnold has robust enough repertoire that Nexstar has no reason to custom commission anything group wide.

Isn't Arnold pretty ruthless when it comes to taking packages out of the syndication market too? Fusion was exclusive to Fox stations and it was retired about a decade ago - it and Elevation have been retired for longer than they were offered at all!

5 hours ago, channel2 said:

Isn't Arnold pretty ruthless when it comes to taking packages out of the syndication market too? Fusion was exclusive to Fox stations and it was retired about a decade ago - it and Elevation have been retired for longer than they were offered at all!

Other music packages Arnold has also since retired... Another Fox affiliate package Outlaw News went away about the same time as Fusion and Elevation.  I believe Global Village, News Edge, and WWL News have also since been retired.  I wouldn't be surprised if Signature gets retired soon.

18 hours ago, channel2 said:

They probably did a cost/benefit analysis and determined that for the cost of the package, it's limited use and market dispersion, it wasn't worth keeping it on the market.

12 hours ago, atlnewsfan03 said:

Other music packages Arnold has also since retired... Another Fox affiliate package Outlaw News went away about the same time as Fusion and Elevation.  I believe Global Village, News Edge, and WWL News have also since been retired.  I wouldn't be surprised if Signature gets retired soon.

For the record, Counterpoint is going to be retired soon, either when the KRDO contract ends or when KRDO refreshes it's branding and set.

Archived