Ed Hopkins dead of pancreatic cancer

24994J

On 8/28/2019 at 6:31 PM, Info Junkie said:

Makes you wonder if Ed Hopkins is retiring or if he just passed away. He is still doing promos for the news and the opens, of course.

A few weeks premature, but yes, Ed passed away in recent days, after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

From Beau Weaver:

received_2409267056012061.thumb.png.9fe22110e1652fc3cf9c110f505aeff9.png

Hope you don't mind me splitting this out. Hopkins did a lot of work we recognize and obviously enjoyed a lengthy and successful voice career.

WNYT themselves apparently put out a story yesterday, something I can't recall being common for TV stations to do. He is survived by a wife, son and 14-year-old daughter, though nothing I'm seeing mentions his age.

I first heard his voice when I received KNBC on a satellite dish in the spring of 2000, and he would later became the VO a WMAQ later that September (both KNBC & WMAQ debuted similar graphics & 615's The Tower), as the Sydney games was beginning.

Rest in peace, Eddie.

45 minutes ago, Samantha said:

Hope you don't mind me splitting this out. Hopkins did a lot of work we recognize and obviously enjoyed a lengthy and successful voice career.

WNYT themselves apparently put out a story yesterday, something I can't recall being common for TV stations to do. He is survived by a wife, son and 14-year-old daughter, though nothing I'm seeing mentions his age.

I remember back in 2008, WHBQ did a story about their VO Chris Clausen when he passed away. The original link of the story is dead, but this blog shows a picture of Clausen from that story. 

But yes its rare for a station to put a story out about a death of one of their voiceover talents.

• 4 weeks later...

WTHI finally switched to a new voice over guy. I know I’ve heard him before, and he’s not bad, but he just doesn’t seem to fit on WTHI. 

I’ve grown up hearing Ed on WTHI since I was born. This new guy certainly going to take some getting used too. 

Here’s a topical featuring his voice. 
https://www.facebook.com/65409576342/posts/10157357451371343?sfns=mo

1 hour ago, HoosierNewsie said:

WTHI finally switched to a new voice over guy. I know I’ve heard him before, and he’s not bad, but he just doesn’t seem to fit on WTHI. 

I’ve grown up hearing Ed on WTHI since I was born. This new guy certainly going to take some getting used too. 

Here’s a topical featuring his voice. 
https://www.facebook.com/65409576342/posts/10157357451371343?sfns=mo

The new vo is Jeff Laurence, however the opens haven't been updated yet.

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2019 at 10:57 PM, RGSJenkins said:

The new vo is Jeff Laurence, however the opens haven't been updated yet.

I'm wondering if that's the same Jeff Laurence that used to be a radio DJ (once hosted a Saturday Night show on Atlanta radio station WSB-FM, known to Atlanta radio listeners as B98.5, till about 2001/2002-ish).  His voice sounds familiar.

I could see Laurence becoming new voice to more local TV station newscasts in the near future, and maybe replacing any voiceover artists mulling retirement.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2019 at 1:33 AM, atlnewsfan03 said:

I could see Laurence becoming new voice to more local TV station newscasts in the near future, and maybe replacing any voiceover artists mulling retirement.

That or voiceovers that've passed away. Although Laurence has been getting replaced by other voiceovers himself. He did voiceovers at WQAD from 1997 to 2007 before being replaced by Rick Hunter. And Bill Murray does at least some of the news opens for KPLR now instead of Laurence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, Lucas Welter said:

New voiceovers replacing Ed Hopkins:

WNYT - Steve Stone

WTHI - Jeff Laurence

KYTV(KY3) - Steve Stone

Ironically, Steve Stone is the current voiceover artist for KOCO so that'll add the familarity for Oklahomans living in the OKC market that make than annual 4 hour trip to Branson.

Archived