The "3" Thread

tjt24

19 minutes ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I don't have time to cock my head to one side to read what's going on...

It is the “mastermind” of a gent with no broadcast design experience who admitted he “didn’t watch broadcast news.”

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-forgetta-a2313b44

Their “Director of Content’s” claim to fame is the 4th hour of Today.

https://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/2018/08/today_show_producer_adam_miller_named_director_of_content_at_wkyc.html

As for GM Micki Byrnes?  How could she let this happen?  Gotta wonder what her husband (former WKYC GM Brooke Spectorsky) thinks of this evolution...

• Like 3

The 6pm show is an abomination.  The content alone belongs in the C block of the 4pm news.

And then there's the graphics....

56 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

As for GM Micki Byrnes?  How could she let this happen?  Gotta wonder what her husband (former WKYC GM Brooke Spectorsky) thinks of this evolution...

Spectorsky was at the helm during the station's best years.  His wife may as well be a stooge for Tegna and their efforts to "fix" local television.

• Like 1

This is one of the most polarizing TV rebrands this decade, but gosh...

I know Tegna takes a lot of flack. This is a company that, hell or high water (and with good intentions), is trying to reshape TV news. But this is a new level of that. It actually feels like the maximum expression of the Tegna philosophy to presentation.

It feels like a big gust of fresh air. The logo is polarizing (and very very UK Channel 5-ish), but it's a creative direction with oomph to it (the teasers feel like a Euro-style ident package). In TV news, people are scared of massive leaps of change because they fear effects on stations' older viewers, even moreso in markets that aren't fast growers like Cleveland. Tegna lacks that compunction.

This may end up being a rebrand that earns more critical acclaim than mass appeal. It's ambitious on a level almost never seen for affiliate rebrands. There are some networks (ABC, in particular) that would have never let this fly.

This is making me think particularly of the NBC "city name" branding that never went beyond San Diego, but arguably was in hindsight a forward-thinking nod to the declining importance of channel brands in an overall station identity (particularly on social). It's not Boston 25—that was a unanimously derided downgrade.

• Like 7
  • Concerned 1

8 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Looks good, but they should go with a different font for the names. It just looks like something is missing.

How about DIN (like they did when they had the G3 GFX, and in line of their O&O Brethren with the current Arthouse GFX, after all, 3 used to be an NBC O&O...) Or Gotham...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I saw that af the end of last night's 11pm show too.

But for how long?  They always find a way to cook these numbers.....

Oh god. Even that's laughable? WKYC is the most-watched 6pm news? P2+?! Even I know WJW won that because they now pretty much win every timeslot!

1 hour ago, Samantha said:

This is one of the most polarizing TV rebrands this decade, but gosh...

I know Tegna takes a lot of flack. This is a company that, hell or high water (and with good intentions), is trying to reshape TV news. But this is a new level of that. It actually feels like the maximum expression of the Tegna philosophy to presentation.

It feels like a big gust of fresh air. The logo is polarizing (and very very UK Channel 5-ish), but it's a creative direction with oomph to it (the teasers feel like a Euro-style ident package). In TV news, people are scared of massive leaps of change because they fear effects on stations' older viewers, even moreso in markets that aren't fast growers like Cleveland. Tegna lacks that compunction.

This may end up being a rebrand that earns more critical acclaim than mass appeal. It's ambitious on a level almost never seen for affiliate rebrands. There are some networks (ABC, in particular) that would have never let this fly.

This is making me think particularly of the NBC "city name" branding that never went beyond San Diego, but arguably was in hindsight a forward-thinking nod to the declining importance of channel brands in an overall station identity (particularly on social). It's not Boston 25—that was a unanimously derided downgrade.

What works in WKYC's favor is that they've remained a strong station. This isn't a dog station like WTSP, WUSA or KNTV... WKYC has become a valiant competitor to WJW since the late 1990s and that hasn't waned.

I'm from Cleveland. I've seen too many stations get boring McGraphics and get the same basic look. The 2007 Fox O&O package, the 2008 Gannett package, the 2009 Scripps package and the 2014 Raycom package were among the more boring visual looks possible... harmless, but boring.

This is... audacious. It's easily the best look for a local TV station I've seen since the JcB WOIO nineteen era of the late 1980s. And seeing how the logo is presented, it's both static but fluid... it's a literal contradiction. The NBC peacock is ... well... proudly a part of this, WKYC is showing their history and NBC ties and doing rather creative ways to emphasize it. Furthermore, leveraging the WKYC calls in tandem with "3 News" is equally commendable. The calls have value and cachet in the market.

WKYC is doing their own thing with Tegna's full blessing, pouring money and resources into the operation. Funny thing is, when you invest in a station and hire people with bona fide credentials, that causes people to tune in! WKYC was the beneficiary of that under Multimedia and Gannett, and it continues today.

And I can't let it be unsaid that Channel 3, then as KYW-TV, tried a rather revolutionary approach to TV news in 1959, 60 years ago. A little thing called "Eyewitness", a 90 minute newsblock that was so earth-shattering, WEWS' Dorothy Fuldheim was compelled to launch a competing newscast in response.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

And then this guy shows up 😂😂😂

20190923_230939.jpg

Lol pretty much doing what he used to do at WJW.

Somehow Mike Polk gets all the attention, while fellow hire Mark Naymik - who was brought aboard for the old political beat Tom Beres covered for decades - got almost overlooked.

Edited by Myron Falwell

3 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

It is the “mastermind” of a gent with no broadcast design experience who admitted he “didn’t watch broadcast news.”

https://www.linkedin.com/in/john-forgetta-a2313b44

Their “Director of Content’s” claim to fame is the 4th hour of Today.

https://www.cleveland.com/tv-blog/2018/08/today_show_producer_adam_miller_named_director_of_content_at_wkyc.html

In that Cleveland.com article, it says that three people are in charge, not counting GM Micki. Jon Adkins (former producer/assistant at WJW) is the news director, while Denise Polverine is the digital content director (she had the same duties at Cleveland.com/The Plain Dealer). Adam Miller is basically the branding coordinator and is heading up the marketing team.

They structured it in a way that the people who need to be in charge are in the right positions.

Edited by Myron Falwell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

They structured it in a way that the people who need to be in charge are in the right positions.

Perhaps, but I see heavy “fluff” influence on all their newscasts - and in a top-20 market like Cleveland, we could use actual NEWS.  A piece on White Claw and Polk giving away swag in an 11pm newscast is ridiculous.  Or, maybe not if they want to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

• Like 3

giphy.gif

I think this looks absolutely fantastic.  The logo, the graphics, everything looks really really fresh.  While I can't speak to the content this is the sort of thing I really want to see more of in broadcast graphic design.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 9/19/2019 at 7:11 PM, JosiahCubed said:

Why does almost everyone on this forum hate simple logos like this?!? Personally, I find it aesthetically pleasing; plus it could have a variant with the NBC peacock.

You all need to realize that this logo is much more pleasing than something that's had thousands of effects thrown on it. *cough* Univision's 2013 logo *cough*

I'm a graphic designer, I would know.

Because it's thin and does not pop! Not comparing to Univision, that's a joke. WKYC's logo will be lost. It is terrible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Myron Falwell said:

And I can't let it be unsaid that Channel 3, then as KYW-TV, tried a rather revolutionary approach to TV news in 1959, 60 years ago. A little thing called "Eyewitness", a 90 minute newsblock that was so earth-shattering, WEWS' Dorothy Fuldheim was compelled to launch a competing newscast in response.

If only this site had some sort of analog back then.

"Looks like Westinghouse-itis is rolling out across more stations with their WHYwitness format. 90 minutes? Please. I liked it better when the news was one person sitting at a desk for 15 minutes. We were lucky to have any pictures at all!"
"Group W out with another lame logo... So much for individuality! Could they only afford one sheet of Letraset?

• Like 4
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

If only this site had some sort of analog back then.

"Looks like Westinghouse-itis is rolling out across more stations with their WHYwitness format. 90 minutes? Please. I liked it better when the news was one person sitting at a desk for 15 minutes. We were lucky to have any pictures at all!"
"Group W out with another lame logo... So much for individuality! Could they only afford one sheet of Letraset?

Scott Jones in 1959: "This is Westinghouse"

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Oh god. Even that's laughable? WKYC is the most-watched 6pm news? P2+?! Even I know WJW won that because they now pretty much win every timeslot!

WJW doesn't offer an 11pm newscast so they don't win every timeslot.

6 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Perhaps, but I see heavy “fluff” influence on all their newscasts - and in a top-20 market like Cleveland, we could use actual NEWS.  A piece on White Claw and Polk giving away swag in an 11pm newscast is ridiculous.  Or, maybe not if they want to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Fluff is a systemic issue and not confined to Tegna. WJW has to use a lot of fluff because of airing so much news all the time.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Myron Falwell said:

WJW has to use a lot of fluff because of airing so much news all the time

I agree with this, however, at the moment, WKYC airs significantly less news each day. They have less time to fill, and a deep bench of talent...and this is what we get? Their limited schedule should make them hyper-focused on broadcasting actual news.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Some people love it, other people hate it. As far as I'm concerned that is a good thing. At least people are noticing it and no matter what the haters say, it's still better than the channel 5 logo, which is hideous.

I actually like the Channel 5 logo more than the new Channel 3 logo.  Like you said some love it, others hate it.  Then there are those who are indifferent, and just want the news.

Even Channel 19's current logo (a HUGE improvement over the Cleveland 19 logo, which was the "Cleveland's CBS 19" logo but with a different color scheme that was more of the Wolverines and even the Warriors) is better than 3's new design.  That's just my opinion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

I actually like the Channel 5 logo more than the new Channel 3 logo.  Like you said some love it, others hate it.  Then there are those who are indifferent, and just want the news.

Even Channel 19's current logo (a HUGE improvement over the Cleveland 19 logo, which was the "Cleveland's CBS 19" logo but with a different color scheme that was more of the Wolverines and even the Warriors) is better than 3's new design.  That's just my opinion.

Like: Channel 3 and 19

Hate: Channel 5, 8, 25, 55 and 68 (Mansfield)

Indifferent or NA: Channel 23, 43, 61 and all the rest

• Like 1
  • Concerned 1

Go back 20 years....that was a good relaunch at WKYC.  Wasn't a fan of the "News That's More Local" tagline, but the on-air look was state of the art at the time, and even carried over well into the move to Lakeside.

It was also a different era of seasoned and well-paid talent like Romona Robinson, Judd Hambrick (and later Tim White), as well as FINALLY hiring a meteorologist at night (David Rogers).

Today, yes it's "groundbreaking"....but it's taking newscasts further out of their comfort zone at the expense of their current success.  If they did news 24/7, that would be one thing.  Even if they made this stuff "digital first". 

It's all young digital journalists and outsiders who are trying to lure in viewers with however they can....

But we'll see how well it works when the ratings come out, overnight or otherwise.....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3