The "3" Thread

tjt24

59 minutes ago, TheRyan said:

I don't see how they can possibly justify keeping the beyond ridiculous branding and presentation style on WKYC seen as of lately.  Their ratings have been so awful that the whole debacle should be included in future academic textbooks to show college students what not to do in branding a TV news department.

I would guess in the last sweeps they were a distant fourth?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

That would be nice! Though I’m not sure they’re giving up on the “new 3” - just yet, keeping those silly names and inane “newscasts” in tact, for now.

Perhaps this ratings period will be the wake-up call WKYC needs to rewind back to an actual, relevant station again?!  

They probably won't. At least not yet. Its possible if the ratings aren't good, then they may change things, but I'm not holding my breath...

On 2/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, CBS11 Weatherboy said:

image.thumb.png.19c33a0d47f95be6eb1c1029474d4695.png

Tegna should've gone with this package.

A designer at Tegna told me that if you want to be involved in the collaborative design process, apply for the open motion design position here: https://www.jobs.net/jobs/tegna/en-us/job/United-States/Motion-Graphic-Designer/J3Q5ZX757HK8MCYB7T4/

They would love your great ideas and to provide you with industry experience! 

Edited by ABC 7 Denver
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

A designer at Tegna told me that if you want to be involved in the collaborative design process, apply for the open motion design position here: https://www.jobs.net/jobs/tegna/en-us/job/United-States/Motion-Graphic-Designer/J3Q5ZX757HK8MCYB7T4/

I would love to apply for that position! Too bad isn't not a remote job. 😀

1 hour ago, JCB4TV said:

This was on Seth Myers' desk last night on Late Night With Seth Myers.

2020-02-13.png

They probably just weren't paying attention and/or didn't get a new mug. They might not even know WKYC has a new logo. No way WKYC is changing the logo back now.

29 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Those mugs were sent in years ago and sit in a cabinet in 30 Rock. They probably just have someone go grab one every night, and WKYC never sent in a new one or told them to remove the old one.

I’m sure there’s also no rhyme or reason to the picking either. There are some that get a lot of use while others don’t.  I do believe the photographer sends a image to the station so they can promote it. I’ve seen WBAL post an image of it up on Facebook a saying their mugs featured on tonight’s show.  It would be interesting if they sent out a custom tease with the mug. 

58 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Those mugs were sent in years ago and sit in a cabinet in 30 Rock. They probably just have someone go grab one every night, and WKYC never sent in a new one or told them to remove the old one.

Apparently, fellow Tegna station WCNC took the time to send 30 Rock an updated mug as demonstrated on Thursday's installment of Late Night With Seth Myers.

2020-02-14.png

• 3 weeks later...

Cross-posted from Out and About:

Michael Estime to leave WKYC around May according to FTVLive.  That same article also touched on the station's ratings problems in February:

As for the Tegna station that rebranded their news shows into shit like, “Go!”, “What’s New” and “Front Row” word is the Feb book was not kind to them.

“Strange what happens when you put someone in charge with zero local news experience,” said one station insider to FTVLive.

The insider added, “The egos of the people in charge are way too big to admit failure.”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Cross-posted from Out and About:

Michael Estime to leave WKYC around May according to FTVLive.  That same article also touched on the station's ratings problems in February:

Well that insider isn't wrong. They don't want to admit that this experiment failed. I mean if the ratings doesn't show that this isn't working, I don't know what will. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 8:29 PM, CLETVFan said:

(Crossposted from Out and About)

Laura Caso looks to be out at WKYC after only a few weeks.  

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2020/4/24/cleveland-anchor-is-m-i-a

She is still there - it must have been her TEGNA furlough week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LauraReports?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

On 2/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, ABC 7 Denver said:

New graphics coming soon nice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Concerned 1

2 hours ago, Gavin said:

New graphics coming soon nice.

Hiring a new graphic artist means nothing. People come and go, and they're replaced. They're not coming out with something new anytime soon.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Resurrecting this topic after a year to report that WKYC seems to be going with a more “traditional” (and very blue) open for its 6pm newscast.  (The name remains…as does the circle 3 and in-newscast graphics.) Are bigger changes coming?

5ABD01BA-F624-41D4-A50B-62FF0FEA0586.jpeg

55D5F699-4B04-46BA-9D19-593869EFC35A.jpeg

D7EE154F-E502-42C7-A4E5-A21CA68F2829.jpeg

B50F0E82-1EC3-489C-9F96-81EC80199EB5.jpeg

2AC2811C-809F-4408-8D8C-9FCD735B4C61.jpeg

DA5A6880-AF65-4CD8-BE86-F78AC7E279F9.jpeg

DD91A4CB-BCC1-4679-AD35-13B84021D17C.jpeg

• Like 3