The "3" Thread

tjt24

This article on the announcement of What's New actually touches on Lunch Break's cancellation, only briefly, but doesn't mention why.

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/12/wkyc-studios-will-offer-more-talk-with-whats-new-hosted-by-betsy-king-and-jay-crawford.html

It seemed that Lunch Break was supposed to also have guest co-hosts in addition to WKYC stars.  The only one I remember who took part was Geraldo Rivera's wife.

Now as of today, the morning "news" now starts at 4:30am instead of 4am, and Live on Lakeside has changed its name to It's About You.

Don't be surprised if there's not a lot of actual news on the 5pm show.  

• Like 2

If you can bear 3+ minutes of Mike Polk trying to get children to understand the 'new' WKYC programming schedule...

https://youtu.be/_yv753eDTZc

My guess...if he went to a Giant Eagle parking lot and asked adults the same questions, nobody would know what he's talking about. 

How much longer until we can be done with this and just call it "Channel 3 News" again?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

If you can bear 3+ minutes of Mike Polk trying to get children to understand the 'new' WKYC programming schedule...

https://youtu.be/_yv753eDTZc

My guess...if he went to a Giant Eagle parking lot and asked adults the same questions, nobody would know what he's talking about. 

How much longer until we can be done with this and just call it "Channel 3 News" again?

I seen that video. It was so cringy. They need to go back to Channel 3 News. Immediately because this is getting ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tjt24 said:

I seen that video. It was so cringy. They need to go back to Channel 3 News. Immediately because this is getting ridiculous.

Tell it to "KYC management and Tegna, they're screwing everything up. They need to listen to the people. They want traditional newscast back.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

Tell it to 'KYC management and Tegna, they're screwing everything up. They need to listen to the people. They want a traditional newscast back.

I honestly don't even know if there are any complaints in Cleveland about this, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if there are. They do need to listen to the people, but they won't. 

And while TEGNA has screwed with most of their stations, WKYC got screwed up with the most. And that needs to change.

• Like 2

I streamed a little bit of What's New and (at least the part I saw) is pretty much Lunch Break...just at 5pm. The show itself isn't bad, it's just not what people want to watch.

Edited by jbnews
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Ladies and Gentlemen...the premiere episode of What's New!  (take a look at 25:03 in particular)

“What’s New with Jae and Betz.”

And poor Russ Mitchell relegated to a “newsreader” role. 😒

Kathie Lee and Hoda.  Every broadcast. Every day. 🥴

Kenny Crumpton doesn’t even pull this crap in the mornings on Fox 8.

Edited by ttvn2000

I wonder if Jay Crawford is Russ Mitchell's heir apparent at 3, hence the big promotional Jay gets every time a show gets launched.  Could Betsy Kling also end up replacing Sara Shookman in the main anchor chair down the road as well?  

I also wonder if Lunch Break was a set-up to see who clicked well with Jay for the 5pm show.  Now that its over, we see "Jae and Betz."

4 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

I wonder if Jay Crawford is Russ Mitchell's heir apparent at 3, hence the big promotional Jay gets every time a show gets launched.  Could Betsy Kling also end up replacing Sara Shookman in the main anchor chair down the road as well?

Russ is nearing 8 years at WKYC - about 3 years longer than I expected. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Jay rise to main anchor, given his presumably hefty salary and network-level chops. (That, and WEWS also has a main anchor with a sports background in Rob Powers.) Though I’d hate to see Russ go.  (And as far fetched as it may seem, I could actually see Russ at WBNS in Columbus, with his background at CBS...) 

Anyway...

Not to enter speculatron territory more than I already have (oops!), but I don’t see them replacing Sara Shookman anytime soon, especially since she is pregnant.  

I do think it’s too much to have Betsy as primary fill-in on nights when Sara is off.  Last night, Betsy anchored at 11 and tossed to reports from Lynna Lai and Danielle Serino - both talented anchors in their own right back in their days at “19 Action News.”  As much as I really like Betsy, I think Lynna Lai got the shaft here and should get that fill in slot at the very least.  

2 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Russ is nearing 8 years at WKYC - about 3 years longer than I expected. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Jay rise to main anchor, given his presumably hefty salary and network-level chops. (That, and WEWS also has a main anchor with a sports background in Rob Powers.) Though I’d hate to see Russ go.  (And as far fetched as it may seem, I could actually see Russ at WBNS in Columbus, with his background at CBS...)

Yeah but here's the difference between Rob and Jay. AFAIK, Jay has only done sports being that he was at ESPN for 15 years. He hasn't actually anchored a hard newscast like Rob and Russ have. Rob was a fill in at WABC. He's done hard news. That's why he easily adjusted to it. Even Betsy, who isn't even an anchorwoman, has done hard news. 

IMO, I just don't think Jay could do hard news. That would be a major transition for him. He doesn't do hard news on this 5pm show, from what I seen, and he didn't do that during the Lunch Break show. I hope I'm wrong if they are grooming him to replace Russ, but I'm not so sure...

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, CLETVFan said:

This article on the announcement of What's New actually touches on Lunch Break's cancellation, only briefly, but doesn't mention why.

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/12/wkyc-studios-will-offer-more-talk-with-whats-new-hosted-by-betsy-king-and-jay-crawford.html

It seemed that Lunch Break was supposed to also have guest co-hosts in addition to WKYC stars.  The only one I remember who took part was Geraldo Rivera's wife.

Now as of today, the morning "news" now starts at 4:30am instead of 4am, and Live on Lakeside has changed its name to It's About You.

Don't be surprised if there's not a lot of actual news on the 5pm show.  

So the Lunch Break was a flop and What's New rose from the ashes of the Phoenix that was Lunch Break.

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

I think this with better music would be better than the crap we currently have...

Amen...I wouldn't mind hearing This Is Home make a comeback.  It was actually a great music pkg.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 2

"3" is making some changes.  

First, they are adding Laura Caso to the weeknight anchor team.  She's going to be anchoring the 6pm news with Russ Mitchell, while Sara Shookman moves to the 7pm news with Jim Donovan.  Mitchell and Shookman will still anchor the 11pm news together.

Second, it seems that "Channel 3" is slowly being phased back in.  I have seen that phrase on billboards now, and I heard Hollie Strano mention "in the Channel 3 Weather Center..."  Maybe "3" isn't quite working.  

As for Sara moving to 7, this is the first time Jim's had a co-anchor since Robin Swoboda's departure back in 2014.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Second, it seems that "Channel 3" is slowly being phased back in.  I have seen that phrase on billboards now, and I heard Hollie Strano mention "in the Channel 3 Weather Center..."  Maybe "3" isn't quite working.  

Good! Hopefully the logo will be phased out real soon...

Edited by tjt24
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tjt24 said:

Good! Hopefully the logo will be phased out real soon...

That would be nice! Though I’m not sure they’re giving up on the “new 3” - just yet, keeping those silly names and inane “newscasts” in tact, for now.

Perhaps this ratings period will be the wake-up call WKYC needs to rewind back to an actual, relevant station again?!  

• Like 3

I don't see how they can possibly justify keeping the beyond ridiculous branding and presentation style on WKYC seen as of lately.  Their ratings have been so awful that the whole debacle should be included in future academic textbooks to show college students what not to do in branding a TV news department.

Edited by TheRyan
  • Like 3