The "3" Thread

tjt24

40 minutes ago, CLETVFan said:

Don't forget Hometeam 19/43, 43 The Block, numerous attempts from WKYC (5:30, Weekday Fever, multiple attempts at a one-hour 6pm newscast), Today's Morning Exchange, any of WEWS' in-house attempts to replace Ted Henry, Cleveland Television News (WOIO and WUAB's merged newsroom circa 1995), and so on.  Am I missing anything?

Speaking of ei8ht is News, here are commercials from when WJW was transitioning from that branding to FOX 8.  Even the announcer was calling it "Fox ei8ht is News."

There was even a period in between the 2 brands when WJW used the "FOX 8" logo and "is news" together right when they relaunched with the new set.   Several weeks later, that was dropped and they fully became "FOX 8 News"

Speaking of WJW, they had an 11pm rebroadcast of their 10pm show on WBNX for about a year.  This was about a year after the CBS/FOX switch and lasted until right before FOX took ownership of WJW.

I'll just say this: remember that the changes at WKYC are more WKYC's doing than Tegna. Just like how Raycom/Gray allowed WOIO to have autonomy from the other Graycom stations. Worst case scenario, WKYC can go back to Troika/C Clarity when the refresh package comes out.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

I'll just say this: remember that the changes at WKYC are more WKYC's doing than Tegna. Just like how Raycom/Gray allowed WOIO to have autonomy from the other Graycom stations. Worst case scenario, WKYC can go back to Troika/C Clarity when the refresh package comes out.

I wonder if WBNS and WTHR get to keep the same kind of autonomy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I would tweak WBNS if it were me, but obviously they don't need a ground up rebuild.

Edited by DirtyHarry

On 10/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, NEOMatrix said:

In the past, WKYC put out things that were WAY BETTER than what Gannett forced on them.

Now, a little corporate intervention might be nice...

Especially with things like this...

17 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

In the past, WKYC put out things that were WAY BETTER than what Gannett forced on them.

Now, a little corporate intervention might be nice...

Especially with things like this...

Lunch Break with Jay Crawford: Because WKYC badly wanted to rip-off Sunny Side Up. 😝

11 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Live on Lakeside isn't doing much better either.

I don't think that's ever been a ratings winner. But as long as they're selling spots and making money, it's here to stay.

This Medicare stuff may as well be the next cash cow for broadcast TV.  It happens every year, unlike most major political races and sporting events....

On that note, if they're raking in the dough with this and having the Browns on MNF, they can probably afford to "experiment" with things and not have it hit their budget too much....It's just ironic that they're trying to ensnare younger viewers while selling their souls to the retired who need to supplement their Medicare coverage....

Edited by tyrannical bastard

• 2 weeks later...

WKYC has now announced its latest hire:

Emily Mayfield, wife of Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield!

I will say that I hope she does will on the station.

https://www.cleveland.com/arts/2019/10/emily-mayfield-wife-of-browns-quarterback-baker-mayfield-will-join-wkyc-studios-as-a-special-correspondent.html

Edited by CLETVFan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears that the new look, logo, format, and graphics are only working for WKYC at 11pm (a.k.a. "What's Next").  They have cake to prove it!

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/12/2/cleveland-cake-wars

The 6pm, morning, and Noon programs are not doing as great as they should be. 

• "What Matters Most" is 3rd at 6pm (my guess is WJW is 1st with WEWS at 2nd) 
  • "Go!" is tied for 2nd/3rd in the morning (likely with WEWS since WJW is 1st, though WOIO is touting in promos that they are growing in the AM ratings-wise, so they might be taking away WKYC's viewership) 
  • "Lunch Break" is 4th at Noon (the other three, including WOIO, are doing better in that slot!)

I think the new "3News" is struggling a bit with only the 11pm show a success.

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

Bumped this up to share that “3News” is using animated versions of their anchors to promote their new 5pm “newscast.”

The madness continues.

E9C9E646-8795-45C1-BEF2-15C7A29F141A.jpeg

They did this for the now cancelled Lunch Break show too. 

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Because what worked so well for noon, has got to work for a 5pm show that's 20 years too late....right?

giphy.gif

Oh yeah. It'll work wonders lol. 

If it was structured liked an actual newscast, it might actually work...

46 minutes ago, tjt24 said:

If it was structured liked an actual newscast, it might actually work...

That's the thing.  Betsy Kling is actually a very good anchor.  And from what I can tell, she's arguably WKYC's most popular personality right now. 

But if they're simply going to reproduce the failure that was "Lunch Break" at 5pm - people are going to be crying to get their Dr. Phil back at 5!  This is the time for them to finally step into this century with 5pm news...and I fear they're going to completely screw it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

That's the thing.  Betsy Kling is actually a very good anchor.  And from what I can tell, she's arguably WKYC's most popular personality right now. 

But if they're simply going to reproduce the failure that was "Lunch Break" at 5pm - people are going to be crying to get their Dr. Phil back at 5!  This is the time for them to finally step into this century with 5pm news...and I fear they're going to completely screw it up.

Oh there's no doubt she is. She's definitely more popular than her 5pm co-anchor Jay Crawford, that's for sure.

I think that's what this new 5pm newscast is going to be. Just a longer version of the Lunch Break show. And that's not what it should be.

This whole 3News thing is not working out. They fixed something that wasn't broken. And they need to go back to what was working, which is what they had before this whole 3News mess...

• Like 1

Betsy has proven herself good at both news and weather, but I fear that the station is stretching her too thin and overusing her.  Plus, picking her to co-anchor the 5pm show was a slap in the face to the other talent who could have done just as great of a job as Betsy.  I think they want the ratings to be good in that slot.

Here's a question I have: Wasn't Jay supposed to do both the Noon and 5pm shows?  I thought Lunch Break would continue alongside What's New.

To be honest, the moves that WKYC has made have been head-scratching and baffling.  The elevator-button logo, strange program titles, the stunt hires (that comedian, Baker Mayfield's wife, all those sports anchors doing the news, Plain Dealer vets), the dumb segments in the morning that have nothing to do with the news yet making them desperately try to be like both the "Today" show and WJW, the aforementioned Lunch Break, letting go of solid talent, bizarre graphics.  It's turned me off from watching the station.

Speaking of their morning show, there is this article from Cleveland Magazine on one of their AM reporters Austin Love:

Work Family: Love’s bromance with 3News morning show anchor Dave Chudowsky makes for must-see TV. The pair even dressed up as Backstreet Boys for Halloween. “In the past month I’ve been recognized more for being a Backstreet Boy on TV than I have been reporter.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLETVFan said:

Betsy has proven herself good at both news and weather, but I fear that the station is stretching her too thin and overusing her.  Plus, picking her to co-anchor the 5pm show was a slap in the face to the other talent who could have done just as great of a job as Betsy.  I think they want the ratings to be good in that slot.

Here's a question I have: Wasn't Jay supposed to do both the Noon and 5pm shows?  I thought Lunch Break would continue alongside What's New.

To be honest, the moves that WKYC has made have been head-scratching and baffling.  The elevator-button logo, strange program titles, the stunt hires (that comedian, Baker Mayfield's wife, all those sports anchors doing the news, Plain Dealer vets), the dumb segments in the morning that have nothing to do with the news yet making them desperately try to be like both the "Today" show and WJW, the aforementioned Lunch Break, letting go of solid talent, bizarre graphics.  It's turned me off from watching the station.

Speaking of their morning show, there is this article from Cleveland Magazine on one of their AM reporters Austin Love:

I probably would've turned off WKYC from all of my news viewing ever since the "3" era started. I would've been fine watching WEWS or WOIO/WUAB over WKYC's garbage. But my heart would be on WJW, 100% of the time. And considering that WJW is on at the same times as WKYC, except 11PM and some weekend hours, I wouldn't miss it too much at all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CLETVFan said:

Plus, picking her to co-anchor the 5pm show was a slap in the face to the other talent who could have done just as great of a job as Betsy.  I think they want the ratings to be good in that slot.

You mean Lynna Lai, Danielle Serino, Monica Robins (who briefly anchored at 7 with Eric Mansfield before Robin Swoboda arrived), Chris Tye, Dorsena Drakeford and Tiffany Tarpley, among others?  Yeah, I get that.  That’s why the Jay Crawford hire is a waste.  They could’ve had Betsy and ANY of the ladies mentioned above and did some sort of “Friends at 5” thing like sister WLTX...

And yes, Jay Crawford was supposed to do noon AND five.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/media/jay-crawford-formerly-espn-will-join-wkyc-fall

Also - speaking of Robin Swoboda, her announced YouTube show must not be happening either....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wkyc.com/amp/article/features/robin-swoboda-returns-to-wkyc-with-new-youtube-show/95-2bd225a4-e58c-43fd-8916-1aed25a86cf3