The "3" Thread

tjt24

4 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If I were going to create a show, I would do something which incorporates elements of the old local variety/talk shows they used to have. I would make it more of a what's happening in town kind of show as opposed to a show that focuses on car accidents and people killing each other in the hood. I don't know if it would work or not, but local news is stale.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 2

I can see it now.

A 2:07 am newscast called "3 News: Let's Go Get Some BBQ and Get Busy" or "3 News: A Hero Ain't Nothin' But a Sandwich."  It would feature TV and movie clips fitting to news stories with popular tunes as news music.  It would be dope!  (By the way, I'm being sarcastic)

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

The Morning Exchange comparison is the most interesting observation of the bunch - because that's a format that has and can worked well in Cleveland and attract some new eyeballs.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Like: Channel 3 and 19

Hate: Channel 5, 8, 25, 55 and 68 (Mansfield)

Indifferent or NA: Channel 23, 43, 61 and all the rest

I think 5's logo is clean and sharp looking.  The 5 is bold unlike 'Circle 3.' The 5 also pops against the blue and doesn't have the distracting outline like some past logos had.

For 8, so many fox locals have the same boring, corporate look.

I'm not a big fan of the layout of the new graphics when used on an American TV station. I'm okay with it being used in Europe, though. Older viewers might think "are you sure this is still WKYC?" Especially after two modifications to the old logo over the years. The logo was basically used for 26 years.

As with many others here, I'm also not a fan of the new logo. In typical TEGNA fashion these days, it's too bland.

Semi-related, but what are the exact dates for when WKYC got each of their graphics packages? Yes, I already know or previously knew some of them. Also, there's no website that describes the exact date for when every station changed graphics and music packages. I'm really interested in that.

At least I'm glad KPNX here did not change its logo lately.

Edited by Conrad
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2019 at 9:49 PM, Samantha said:

This is one of the most polarizing TV rebrands this decade, but gosh...

I know Tegna takes a lot of flack. This is a company that, hell or high water (and with good intentions), is trying to reshape TV news. But this is a new level of that. It actually feels like the maximum expression of the Tegna philosophy to presentation.

It feels like a big gust of fresh air. The logo is polarizing (and very very UK Channel 5-ish), but it's a creative direction with oomph to it (the teasers feel like a Euro-style ident package). In TV news, people are scared of massive leaps of change because they fear effects on stations' older viewers, even moreso in markets that aren't fast growers like Cleveland. Tegna lacks that compunction.

This may end up being a rebrand that earns more critical acclaim than mass appeal. It's ambitious on a level almost never seen for affiliate rebrands. There are some networks (ABC, in particular) that would have never let this fly.

This is making me think particularly of the NBC "city name" branding that never went beyond San Diego, but arguably was in hindsight a forward-thinking nod to the declining importance of channel brands in an overall station identity (particularly on social). It's not Boston 25—that was a unanimously derided downgrade.

So what are you saying? You sound like you are talking at a fashion show. It's TV News!

It seems like a weird cross of the Tonight Show and View. If Jay is the only host, what is Hollie doing there? She's in the entire show.

I give them props for creating something unique with the open and show title. "Lunch Break" isn't a bad name for a midday show at all. The glare on the monitor array needs to be fixed ASAP.

Although it's only the first show and changes will have to be made, it still seems doomed to fail.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 11:49 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

This whole WKYC thing is a better-executed version of what Fox tried (and failed) to do in Charlotte....

I think that whole experiment set beck wjzy about 15 years. No offense.. But it is tough to take down a great market leader that is local as well. I know the old assistant news director Ned hibbert got let go and went to wcnc because of how bad it flopped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bhratbrat said:

I think that whole experiment set beck wjzy about 15 years. No offense.. But it is tough to take down a great market leader that is local as well. I know the old assistant news director Ned hibbert got let go and went to wcnc because of how bad it flopped.

At least WJZY was an upstart with nowhere to go but up.....but it started when they began doing a real newscast and not their half baked effort....

WKYC?  They're like "let's take a station that rose from the doldrums of "farm teaming" talent into a well executed, polished, informative news operation....and trash it all for some young cheap talent who knows cool buzz words and social media...and some new pretty graphics!"

• Like 6

On 10/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, MidwestTV said:

It seems like a weird cross of the Tonight Show and View. If Jay is the only host, what is Hollie doing there? She's in the entire show.

I give them props for creating something unique with the open and show title. "Lunch Break" isn't a bad name for a midday show at all. The glare on the monitor array needs to be fixed ASAP.

Although it's only the first show and changes will have to be made, it still seems doomed to fail.

Ed McMahon was Johnny Carson's sidekick but he didn't get billing either.

Here's the premiere of "Lunch Break" that went over-the-air on WKYC.  They are broadcasting the Noon newscast on Channel 3 (or just simply "3") and both its YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook pages.

They will have guest co-hosts joining Jay and Stephanie.

7 minutes ago, TSSZNews said:

I'm not convinced the FTVLIve story is accurate, simply because I can't imagine anyone high up in the company would have allowed WKYC's blanket rebrand to go through were that the case.

It's not unlikely the WKYC rebrand was many months in the making and it was going to be easier to see it to fruition than completely scrap everything. They likely had spent good money to see the rebrand through. Go out with a bang and see if this one sticks.

5 minutes ago, MidwestTV said:

It's not unlikely the WKYC rebrand was many months in the making and it was going to be easier to see it to fruition than completely scrap everything. They likely had spent good money to see the rebrand through. Go out with a bang and see if this one sticks.

That's fair - but I've seen faster course corrections.

I wonder if the FTVLive piece alludes more to the idea of giving local stations more autonomy in the presentation. They haven't really messed with KFMB since the acquisition, for example. KPNX, KGW, KIII and KING have all largely been left alone in this. Same can probably be said for WTLV/WJXX and WBIR. I'd argue WVEC's largely been left out of the experiment--probably because they learned their lesson the one night they demoed a "different" 11PM newscast live (wish I could find that because it makes all the current experience on the air at the other stations look like 60 Minutes!) KUSA found success with Next and they remain on solid ground. I suspect WBNS and WTHR will be able to stay the course as well. It's mostly been the runners-up or bottom-dwellers--and, for some reason, Cleveland and Dallas--that have had to deal with this.

This really isn't hard - all they had to do was find a way to replicate the Next format at the rest of their stations. Maybe there's hope yet if a course correction is indeed coming.

14 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

I'd argue WVEC's largely been left out of the experiment--probably because they learned their lesson the one night they demoed a "different" 11PM newscast live (wish I could find that because it makes all the current experience on the air at the other stations look like 60 Minutes!)

Pencils have erasers.   There have been plenty of failures in the Cleveland market that have morphed back into their original formats....ei8ht is news...Five o clock Fox, WEWS's Your Day Ahead, Martha in the Middle, the 19 News Glasses cam...the list goes on and on...   Once the ratings tank, the upside down Peacocks will be plucked and the elevator will be taken out of service....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't forget Hometeam 19/43, 43 The Block, numerous attempts from WKYC (5:30, Weekday Fever, multiple attempts at a one-hour 6pm newscast), Today's Morning Exchange, any of WEWS' in-house attempts to replace Ted Henry, Cleveland Television News (WOIO and WUAB's merged newsroom circa 1995), and so on.  Am I missing anything?

Speaking of ei8ht is News, here are commercials from when WJW was transitioning from that branding to FOX 8.  Even the announcer was calling it "Fox ei8ht is News."

• Like 1