The "3" Thread

tjt24

Why does almost everyone on this forum hate simple logos like this?!? Personally, I find it aesthetically pleasing; plus it could have a variant with the NBC peacock.

You all need to realize that this logo is much more pleasing than something that's had thousands of effects thrown on it. *cough* Univision's 2013 logo *cough*

I'm a graphic designer, I would know.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Concerned 2

@JosiahCubed - I don’t hate simplicity in logos as much as I hate the fact that they threw out years of brand equity for something that basically looks like Arial Narrow in a circle.  I’d encourage them to put some thought and rationale behind their design decision.  This just feels like change for the sake of change.

Regarding good examples of simplicity: I love WBNS’s most recent iteration of their “10”.  It stripped away all those obnoxious effects (hello there “10TV News HD” 😎) yet kept the “10” logo they’ve had since the 90’s in tact. 

WKYC could’ve easily stripped away the effects of the previous “3” and delivered something that looked less generic yet still carried on the equity they have built.  But it’s likely their goal to break it all and start fresh. So if that’s the goal, then they’re succeeding...

FYI - I am also a marketer and graphic designer by trade.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

This explains a lot  - the station’s creative director had no previous TV experience and admitted in this interview that he did not watch local TV. 

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/entertainment/television/liveonlakeside/liveonlakeside/95-243d301f-06ca-4369-b280-50eafcfd45ca

Y'all want to know why the TV industry is in the shape it's in look no further than this. I can't explain how many people are in positions that they shouldn't be in and I've worked in 4 newsrooms in the span of 6 years.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic here. To contribute: my thoughts on this logo is that it is indeed terrible.

Edited by Al-SA-TX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, JosiahCubed said:

Why does almost everyone on this forum hate simple logos like this?!? Personally, I find it aesthetically pleasing; plus it could have a variant with the NBC peacock.

You all need to realize that this logo is much more pleasing than something that's had thousands of effects thrown on it. *cough* Univision's 2013 logo *cough*

I'm a graphic designer, I would know.

I love those pictures and how it looks. That said, I was at Giant Eagle tonight and maybe that's where they got the idea?

giant eagle.jpg

• Haha 6

I just wanted to point out one more thing. Look at retail store fronts back in the old days. They all kind of used the same lettering on their storefronts. This WKYC logo isn't exactly old school, but it is more in that direction.

For anybody who cares, the picture is of the Monroeville Miracle Mile Shopping Center in the Pittsburgh area. But the same developer had shopping centers in various Ohio cities and they all kind of looked the same..

Monroeville Shopping Center, Monroeville PA.jpg

• Like 3

It debuts Sunday at 11pm from what I hear - but here is a story from their website.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/about-us/the-new-3-news-more-of-what-you-love/95-4da0085b-feb2-433b-a62b-becba28fa774

From the looks of those promos, it looks like they used their quota of stock video from iStock...and then some.  Champaign bottles and shopping bags...something “marvelous” is coming.  Ok, then 😬

26 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It'll be later than 11pm because of SNF (hope the game goes to overtime so folks can sleep and not have to watch this trainwreck).

It actually wouldn't be shocking if they did because the Browns are playing on SNF this week. But the website says Monday at 4am, so we shall see...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

It debuts Sunday at 11pm from what I hear - but here is a story from their website.

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/about-us/the-new-3-news-more-of-what-you-love/95-4da0085b-feb2-433b-a62b-becba28fa774

From the looks of those promos, it looks like they used their quota of stock video from iStock...and then some.  Champaign bottles and shopping bags...something “marvelous” is coming.  Ok, then 😬

If you look further down in the article, there's a video embed that essentially details the mission statement of each of the new shows with talent included.

The messaging is definitely MUCH stronger on those spots--I get a real CCO vibe from them.

I get the sense they want to try and give all the dayparts a feel and personality akin to KUSA's Next--appropriate to each timeslot.

That's probably not going to work because as excellent a show as it is, Next is still personality driven and it's not as simple as taking that format to other markets...but logo aside, I kinda hope it does?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ttvn2000 said:

Well looks like Tegna is doing a custom graphics package for WKYC. It's actually not bad, tbh. Clean and simple.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

If you look further down in the article, there's a video embed that essentially details the mission statement of each of the new shows with talent included.

I posted too soon - and didn’t edit my initial post.  The other promos and videos feel like a “sizzle reel” of sorts.

I appreciate the custom graphics package because now, they are “practicing what they’re preaching” in terms of developing a new and unique product.

It’s more than I expected - I was expecting the same TEGNA graphics with a new logo slapped on.  So, an unexpected surprise.

We shall see how it goes!

Edited by ttvn2000

11 hours ago, TSSZNews said:

The messaging is definitely MUCH stronger on those spots--I get a real CCO vibe from them.

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

It's actually not bad, tbh. Clean and simple.

3 hours ago, Action Newsroom said:

Looks slick, fresh and nicely made. I hope the package is utilized very well.

1 hour ago, ttvn2000 said:

I appreciate the custom graphics package because now, they are “practicing what they’re preaching” in terms of developing a new and unique product.

It's almost as if WKYC's visual identity didn't revolve around.... a logo.

Big if true.

Edited by Journalist
  • Like 3
  • Concerned 1