The "3" Thread

tjt24

3 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

More or less, this logo re-appeared in the early 90s when Multimedia assumed majority ownership of WKYC.  Back then, even NBC's affiliates played into this style.  How they ever went to the "Proud N" and Serif Gothic from this is mind-boggling.

I've started a new thread in the Graphics section about the impending "3"....i'm all for moving discussion over there as WKYC's relaunch nears closer....

Looks like you replied before I was able to complete my edit. I'm not good at doing this on a phone. But yeah, that was my point--when you've used a logo for almost 35 years, maybe it's time for a change.

Everything about this launch is very 'piece meal' - which is odd, considering they really could've put the newscasts in the "Live on Lakeside" studio while they made these changes at once. 

Side note: Can an admin or moderator move the WKYC logo-related conversation from "Out and About" to this thread? 

15 minutes ago, Info Junkie said:

This is a speculation: Is this downgrade gonna make WKYC even worse than the time they were NBC’s “farm” system?

Inside the station: As long as there isn't chronic talent turnover, they should be fine.

Outside the station (viewers watching at home): The rebranding shouldn't make the station any worse than the "farm system" era, but they're screwed either way.

Edited by kfc513

My ultimate problem with the change is not that they're getting rid of the old logo. My issue is that, if you're going to get rid of a logo with a quarter century of brand equity, then you better knock it out of the park. This is the perfect example of change for the sake of change. This might be hinting to a forum member in particular, but just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better. We've had our gripes over other Tegna rebrands (WFAA, WUSA, KHOU, etc.), but those maintained a sense of identity or a signal that they are for a TV station. This might as well be a billiard ball, a public transit route, a highway sign, or a new button on a video game controller. There's simplicity, that I can respect or appreciate, but then there's uninspired laziness.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 8

On 9/11/2019 at 10:35 PM, DirtyHarry said:

WSYX at one point in the early 2000's was so desperate, they went to an (almost) all-chick news format for a while. It flopped.

The Weekends they had (2) females Tram Mai now at KPNX and Keisha Grant now at WVIT.   Yolanda Harris & Charlene Brown did the 5pm together 2001-2002. Yolanda & Gabe started in 2002-2009.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, tyrannical bastard said:

CBS 19 News with Denise Dufala and Gretchen Carlson.  Lasted about a year perhaps?

This was after Emmett Miller left and before they hired Kevin Cokely.  Jack Marschall would later add WOIO's newscasts to his WUAB duties until the great Action News blowup of 2002.

Was this after Bob Hetherington left?  IIRC it was Charlene Brown and Yolanda Harris?

Yeah, when Bob Hetherington left but they had Pete Scoville first at 5pm with Charlene, and he did Noon with Terri Sullivan.  I was told he had a disagreement with management.  He was on 10:00 news with Lorene Wagner.  Sinclair at the time were paying Bob & Lorene big $$$ for lackluster ratings.  Bob left in 2001 after being there close to a decade. Lorene & Bob would go on to sell houses. Pete left in scoff and that when Charlene & Yolanda would do 5pm news together and they were getting rid of Charlene, Bob, Lorene, Pete because Yolanda & Gabe were cheap to pay. 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:14 AM, GoldenShine9 said:

With all that is going on in Cleveland, could WOIO be the big winner?

WJW still sitting in the catbird's seat.  WOIO has their drama too. 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:24 AM, DirtyHarry said:

I think so. I think Megan Pringle too. I tried Googling but couldn't find anything. I know David Silverstein was news director back then.

Looks like a highway sign ... Route 3. That said, it's minimalist and it is going to stand out. 

Megan Pringle was on the weekend when either Tram or Keisha left and then Megan was moved to morning news with Terri Sullivan.  Then Megan moved to Baltimore. First WMAR now WBAL. 

FTVLive brings up another good point....

In the eyes of ratings, the "news" is going away and being replaced by these other-named shows.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/9/19/exclusive-cleveland-station-to-no-longer-have-newscasts

All this is really doing is taking away any comparison to other newscasts....correct?

Alas, instead of companies actually improving their products they just try and hide the problem by gaming the numbers....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Breaking News said:

WJW still sitting in the catbird's seat.  WOIO has their drama too. 

At this point, I would rather be in WOIO's shoes as we don't know how Nexstar (or maybe Fox) might handle WJW.

Who knows, WEWS and even WOIO/WUAB might be in better position than WKYC and WJW.

Edited by CLETVFan