The "3" Thread

tjt24

12 hours ago, news89 said:

Screenshot_20190903-175044_Facebook.jpg

Their soon-to-be-new logo?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW??? WHAT THE F$&% IS THIS?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?

THIS is where we're at with broadcast logo design?

There are things in life that just doesn't need to happen. This is one of them.

Now I gotta update their Logopedia page with this painfully underwhelming abomination that ANYONE can recreate in Powerpoint in just under ten seconds...

It hasn't debuted yet and it's already giving every bad station logo a run for their money; yes, even this logo from station KXDF-CD.

TROIKA EVEN MADE YOU A LOGO! AND IT'S 999,999,999X BETTER THAN WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!! (image below)

WKYC-SPORTS.thumb.png.106ca3e1c734018d54ec6ed7812f33c2.png

But KFC, you're overreacting to a simple TV station logo; even channel 5 in the UK used a logo exactly similar to this.

1. This logo is so underwhelming and bland that I cannot just sit on the sidelines and let WKYC or Tegna get away with this.

2. What works in Great Britain doesn't always translate well in here in the US.

Edited by kfc513
By the way, why are TV stations in Cleveland turning to channel 5 in the UK for logos? First WEWS, now WKYC?
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bah, I like that new WKYC logo. It's simple and to the point, tells you everything you need to know.

Hey, when you see that 3, you know it's coming direct from Cleveland. You know what's boring? Those blue-and-white Circle 7s, those suckers are everywhere. You see one of those, it could coming from any of the nine zillion Channel 7s around the nation that were too lazy to come up with something unique.

And since I had no clue what the current WKYC logo looked like, I went to their website. It looks like a ne'er-do-well 3 leaning against a wall while a shady peacock looks around the corner for unsuspecting rubes to mug. Hardly trustworthy, I'd say.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Okay... getting off-topic with WKYC's new logo hatred. I feel that way too but I'm going back on-topic.

Agreed. Somebody needs to split the discussion about WKYC's new logo into it's own thread because this discussion has covered at least a page to almost a page and a half of this thread.

Also, if I can find a source regarding about Wichita that you teased recently on the blog, I'll send that to you.

Edited by oknewsguy
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:26 PM, Brother said:

Bah, I like that new WKYC logo. It's simple and to the point, tells you everything you need to know.

Hey, when you see that 3, you know it's coming direct from Cleveland. You know what's boring? Those blue-and-white Circle 7s, those suckers are everywhere. You see one of those, it could coming from any of the nine zillion Channel 7s around the nation that were too lazy to come up with something unique.

And since I had no clue what the current WKYC logo looked like, I went to their website. It looks like a ne'er-do-well 3 leaning against a wall while a shady peacock looks around the corner for unsuspecting rubes to mug. Hardly trustworthy, I'd say.

I like it. They used to do minimalist things in a Futura font, but that borders on being kind of Euro and artsy. This one stands out because there is no art to it. In fact there being no art to it  is what makes it art, if that makes any sense. I don't like that color pink I'm seeing in the graphic though, but I like the general concept. It's different and it stands out.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just another thought about the WKYC logo. The other thing that you guys have to remember is back when computer graphics for the PC were just beginning to be widely used, that stuff was exciting and cool. Now that we are 20 years into that, there is a certain amount of sameness to everything. It's almost too perfect to the point where it's mechanical and bland.

Pull out an old retail ad from the 1970s and it looks a lot better from the standpoint of how they set the type than some computer-generated ad from Target looks today. And when I look at pictures of old school hand-painted signs, I find myself appreciating that look more than the computer generated sameness of laser-cut letters. It's kind of like another chapter in the analog vs digital debate.  And in this case, analog, in the form of hand set type, looks a lot better.

Case in point: look at my avatar.

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

Just another thought about the WKYC logo. The other thing that you guys have to remember is back when computer graphics for the PC were just beginning to be widely used, that stuff was exciting and cool. Now that we are 20 years into that, there is a certain amount of sameness to everything. It's almost too perfect to the point where it's mechanical and bland.

Pull out an old retail ad from the 1970s and it looks a lot better from the standpoint of how they set the type than some computer-generated ad from Target looks today. And when I look at pictures of old school hand-painted signs, I find myself appreciating that look more than the computer generated sameness of laser-cut letters. It's kind of like another chapter in the analog vs digital debate.  And in this case, analog, in the form of hand set type, looks a lot better.

Case in point: look at my avatar.

Here's an old KYW (Cleveland) logo...looks kind of similar, doesn't it?

image.png.8fcc82442835a089f8656dbf5cc6dbde.png

According to Logopedia, this was the second logo after the Triangle 3 logo that Westinghouse introduced when they "moved" to Cleveland.  It wouldn't be until 1963 that KYW got the "Westinghouse Treatment" complete with font and all.

Two years later, the swap was nullified and NBC came back to Cleveland and Westinghouse went home to Philadelphia.

• Like 4

On 9/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, ttvn2000 said:

I can't even.  And we thought the 11Alive logo or WFAArrow logo was bad.

THIS CANNOT BE.  

(Maybe this conversation should move to a Graphics or TEGNA Corporate Thread?)

69994334_10157927103184274_1014922315600756736_n.jpg.9acc3893987b816cca93e7735649cc20.jpg

Take a look right here. Why does WKYC have to go for a circle logo? They are being a copycat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Concerned 1

On 9/12/2019 at 8:26 AM, ttvn2000 said:

I can't even.  And we thought the 11Alive logo or WFAArrow logo was bad.

THIS CANNOT BE.  

(Maybe this conversation should move to a Graphics or TEGNA Corporate Thread?)

We really need to speak up to Tegna management and tell 'em we don't like changes on their local stations and demand that things on our stations need to be brought back and left alone.

example: Leave the current WKYC logo alone, don't change it. Next, Reinstate "The Spirit of Texas" slogan back to WFAA, KHOU, and spread the Spirit slogan to Tegna Texas stations, and finally... get some better news sets from FX Group and/or BDI. Not some Tegna-Set-In-A-Box, and reinstate news themes (ex: KUSA News Package, Propulsion, The Tower, etc.) drop the C Clarity and gets some better news graphics.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, TexasTVNews said:

We really need to speak up to Tegna management and tell 'em we don't like changes on their local stations and demand that things on our stations need to be brought back and left alone.

example: Leave the current WKYC logo alone, don't change it. Next, Reinstate "The Spirit of Texas" slogan back to WFAA, KHOU, and spread the Spirit slogan to Tegna Texas stations, and finally... get some better news sets from FX Group and/or BDI. Not some Tegna-Set-In-A-Box, and reinstate news themes (ex: KUSA News Package, Propulsion, The Tower, etc.) drop the C Clarity and gets some better news graphics.

Good luck with that. That's like telling McDonalds to have some local flavor to it. If it's corporate it's corporate. 

• Like 8

Well...I think it's time to move the discussion about the impending doom of WKYC here.  It goes farther than a bad logo or the Tegna-fi-cation-itis it's been subjected to (or about to be)....

It's already been trashed, but this revamp could transform the station into something unprecedented....and based on the common opinion, unprecedentedly BAD!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Even this piece of 80's design would be an improvement....
image.png.cecb59d4bbe0d5a501f68c208bd529d0.png

The numbers 3 and 8 are both awkward looking. It's hard to make them look good in a logo, but my favorite one was the one from the mid-1970s. It was clean looking. Everything they've used since then looks too busy. And considering they've used variations of what is basically the same logo since the 1970s (except for the few years when they used the one you show), change is long overdue.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Concerned 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

The numbers 3 and 8 are both awkward looking. It's hard to make them look good in a logo, but my favorite one was the one from the mid-1970s. It was clean looking. Everything they've used since then looks too busy.

hqdefault.jpg

More or less, this logo re-appeared in the early 90s when Multimedia assumed majority ownership of WKYC.  Back then, even NBC's affiliates played into this style.  How they ever went to the "Proud N" and Serif Gothic from this is mind-boggling.   And then there was the awful programming during that era when even Fred Silverman couldn't save them....

I've started a new thread in the Graphics section about the impending "3"....i'm all for moving discussion over there as WKYC's relaunch nears closer....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 2