The "3" Thread

tjt24

14 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

It's one thing to blow up the last place station that no one watches anyway.  That way News With A Twist can exist peacefully amongst good and semi-decent products.

In Tegna's case, they've taken successful stations (and a cellar dweller or two) and driven them into the ground (further) with their "forward thinking"

WKYC and WWL were once decent stations (WKYC was finally clicking after DECADES of failure) to have been fixed to death by Tegna....

WSYX at one point in the early 2000's was so desperate, they went to an (almost) all-chick news format for a while. It flopped.

CBS 19 News with Denise Dufala and Gretchen Carlson.  Lasted about a year perhaps?

This was after Emmett Miller left and before they hired Kevin Cokely.  Jack Marschall would later add WOIO's newscasts to his WUAB duties until the great Action News blowup of 2002.

2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

WSYX at one point in the early 2000's was so desperate, they went to an (almost) all-chick news format for a while. It flopped.

Was this after Bob Hetherington left?  IIRC it was Charlene Brown and Yolanda Harris?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Georgie56 said:

The Amy Freeze-Michelle Leigh-Jill Carlson era.

You have to provide more details/clarification on this. I'm almost certain Amy Freeze and Michelle Leigh never worked together at WFLD.

19 minutes ago, news89 said:

Screenshot_20190903-175044_Facebook.jpg

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

You got to be bleeping me. Seriously. What the hell is this?!!

Forget the lottery ball, this is worse.

It looks like they took the "3" from a sign out of a street corner. This is not a TV logo, it's an outdoor sign. I swear you can't get any worse than this.

Pitiful. Just plain and extremely pitiful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

CBS 19 News with Denise Dufala and Gretchen Carlson.  Lasted about a year perhaps?

This was after Emmett Miller left and before they hired Kevin Cokely.  Jack Marschall would later add WOIO's newscasts to his WUAB duties until the great Action News blowup of 2002.

Was this after Bob Hetherington left?  IIRC it was Charlene Brown and Yolanda Harris?

I think so. I think Megan Pringle too. I tried Googling but couldn't find anything. I know David Silverstein was news director back then.

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

You got to be bleeping me. Seriously. What the hell is this?!!

Forget the lottery ball, this is worse.

It looks like they took the "3" from a sign out of a street corner. This is not a TV logo, it's an outdoor sign. I swear you can't get any worse than this.

Pitiful. Just plain and extremely pitiful.

Looks like a highway sign ... Route 3. That said, it's minimalist and it is going to stand out. 

9 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Someone saw the "3" in the universal film leader and decided 'hey, this is good enough';

It's just kind of blah...WISC did a much better rendition of the 'circle 3'...hopefully it has a little more life in actual use. I understand minimalism is the new thing, but this is absurd.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, news89 said:

Just look right above Danielle's shoulder you can see what I call the Elevator3 logo.

20190910_190520.jpg

I can't even.  And we thought the 11Alive logo or WFAArrow logo was bad.

THIS CANNOT BE.  

(Maybe this conversation should move to a Graphics or TEGNA Corporate Thread?)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, news89 said:

Just look right above Danielle's shoulder you can see what I call the Elevator3 logo.

20190910_190520.jpg

10 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Oh.  My.  Gawd.

Someone please tell me this is a placeholder logo, like what WTOL did a few months back.

3 Ball makes Lottery Ball 5 tolerable in comparison....

3 hours ago, jbnews said:

What. Is. THAT?? Dear god I hope that's a placeholder thing. It looks like poorly designed European road sign.

It ain't no placeholder... If that image above you is any indication, that WILL be their new logo.

9 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

It looks like they took the "3" from a sign out of a street corner.

Or copied it from the New York MTA.

image.png.1738815216c2fd29c1ca9ce5d335f31d.png

I've seen some bad design decisions in my time - working in IT, its inevitable I suppose - but this...I can't even wrap my head around this one.

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, jbnews said:

This is really interesting. I don't mind the name changes (I like "Go!" a lot.) It'll be neat to see how the relaunch goes. They are trying something SO radically different. And I give them props for having the balls to do it. Studies show younger audiences think local news is formulaic and boring. So this, in my opinion, is a good way to shake it up.

Agreed. I like that they're trying something new with their news programs that don't look or sound monotonous (not a dig at stations that do have uniformed news program names as many are iconic) and I wish them luck. And the names aren't that bad (or rather bad at all) to me either.

On the other hand...

10 hours ago, news89 said:

Screenshot_20190903-175044_Facebook.jpg

That is bad.

It reminds me of the first logo of The U.K.'s Channel 5. But their logo works because it's a station where news isn't it's main focus. This station's logo does not work, because news is.

Edited by Action Newsroom
  • Like 1

WKYC would be better off using the logo used in the Troika demo video from 2018 that is similar to the current (soon-to-be-former) logo, except that the 3 is unitalicized and there is no line.

But the new WKYC logo that's coming out later this month, right when the 2019-2020 television season starts, is/will be by far the worst logo I have ever seen.

It just keeps getting worse and worse with every new logo coming from TEGNA.

What's next, KPNX changing from 12 News to just 12 (i.e. 12 at 6)? Oh wait, they already did that with 12 Today. And WTLV had "12 at Noon" and "12 at 11:00" pre-First Coast News. Back during better times for Gannett, of course.

You never know what TEGNA will do these days.

I've seen bad. The new Circle K logo. The new WEWS logo. The new WXIA logo. The new Save Mart (supermarket chain in CA and NV) logo (at least the green and orange colors help an otherwise bad logo). Save Mart's sister chains Lucky and FoodMaxx also have new (bad) logos. And I saw the new Pizza Patrón logo. It was horrible and I miss the old one. But the new WKYC logo makes all those look okay to great in comparison. Have you seen the new Save Mart, Lucky, FoodMaxx, and Pizza Patrón logos or even heard of those chains? What are otherwise bad logos seem more tolerable than this crap that is coming out of TEGNA.

Edited by Conrad
  • Like 1

Well, the last logo had a good run and evolved pretty well over the last 25 or so years.  I remember the "We're building our station around you" campaign which literally featured shots of the logo being designed and physically crafted...

Now all I can think of are elevator buttons, pool balls, road signs, and however else this logo sucks.   I don't even think an NBC peacock could save it.

So much talent in that building over the years with all of the innovation and breaking the mold and putting out a quality product.  Then came the broken fax machine, and their best efforts to work around it.  Ever since C Clarity hit the air, it was only a matter of time before the product was trashed....

I can only hope that Russ Mitchell ends up hosting the CBS Evening News (like he should have years ago) when their latest effort flops, yet again....and WKYC will hit the basement again like they were pre 1994......

• Like 3