Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
DirtyHarry

WBNS meteorologist Mike Davis arrested, charged with pandering child pornography

Recommended Posts

DirtyHarry already mentioned this in the Tegna/Dispatch thread, but this shocker deserves a mention here as well....

 

https://www.10tv.com/article/10tv-meteorologist-mike-davis-charged-child-pornography-2019-sep

 

This comes after Davis regained his Chief Meteorologist title after the death of Chris Bradley, who unseated him back in 2006, sending him to mornings.

 

This, Jerry Revish retiring, and Tegna now owning Twin Rivers Drive could send 10TV into the ratings toilet. 

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

DirtyHarry already mentioned this in the Tegna/Dispatch thread, but this shocker deserves a mention here as well....

 

https://www.10tv.com/article/10tv-meteorologist-mike-davis-charged-child-pornography-2019-sep

 

This comes after Davis regained his Chief Meteorologist title after the death of Chris Bradley, who unseated him back in 2006, sending him to mornings.

 

This, Jerry Revish retiring, and Tegna now owning Twin Rivers Drive could send 10TV into the ratings toilet. 

 

I'm shocked by this one.  10TV is falling....FAST.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

 

This comes after Davis regained his Chief Meteorologist title after the death of Chris Bradley, who unseated him back in 2006, sending him to mornings.

 

This, Jerry Revish retiring, and Tegna now owning Twin Rivers Drive could send 10TV into the ratings toilet. 

 

27 minutes ago, ttvn2000 said:

 

I'm shocked by this one.  10TV is falling....FAST.

 

Mike Davis is toast, but I am a little concerned with how loosely people have been using the words "pedophile" and "child" in these situations.

 

If you are looking at and getting off on pictures of 8 year old girls and boys, that's just plain sick. But they are also using these words to describe stuff involving 16 year olds. Not good behavior and not something to aspire too for sure. But it's also not something that makes me want to lock them up for life and ruin somebody over either.

 

The age of consent is 13 in Spain and some of these young girls now are pretty aggressive. There was the case of a high school coach in Lancaster several years ago who got in trouble for boinking a 16 year old. She's the one who chased after him!!!

 

In other words, I can see a situation where he got friendly with, say, a 16 year old. Next thing you know she is sexting him and that's what they are calling child ponography. You give somebody a time out for that  but you don't ruin them. These stories really need to be made more clear.

Edited by DirtyHarry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

In other words, I can see a situation where he got friendly with, say, a 16 year old. Next thing you know she is sexting him and that's what they are calling child ponography. You give somebody a time out for that  but you don't ruin them. These stories really need to be made more clear.

As creepy as this sounds, the age of consent in Ohio is 16. So if Mike Jones had relations with the 16-year-old, then technically he would be off the hook. However, him getting a "picture" of her is a no-no. Hell, there have been cases of children getting slapped with a kiddy porn charge for sending their "privates" to another person, so the laws are pretty rigid in a lot of cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

Mike Davis is toast, but I am a little concerned with how loosely people have been using the words "pedophile" and "child" in these situations.

 

If you are looking at and getting off on pictures of 8 year old girls and boys, that's just plain sick. But they are also using these words to describe stuff involving 16 year olds. Not good behavior and not something to aspire too for sure. But it's also not something that makes me want to lock them up for life and ruin somebody over either.

 

The age of consent is 13 in Spain and some of these young girls now are pretty aggressive. There was the case of a high school coach in Lancaster several years ago who got in trouble for boinking a 16 year old. She's the one who chased after him!!!

 

In other words, I can see a situation where he got friendly with, say, a 16 year old. Next thing you know she is sexting him and that's what they are calling child ponography. You give somebody a time out for that  but you don't ruin them. These stories really need to be made more clear.

 

Good Lord, quit while you're ahead. This discussion stops now. If he was dealing with someone who was lying about they're age, then that's for the court system to sort out, but otherwise, just stop. If they look like they could be that young, then you should probably just stay away. Period.

 

Consider this a warning for everyone. We're not going to try and rationalize this.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10TV need to scrap Mike's bio off the website and fire his backside already.

Edited by TexasTVNews
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, 24994J said:

 

Good Lord, quit while you're ahead. This discussion stops now. If he was dealing with someone who was lying about they're age, then that's for the court system to sort out, but otherwise, just stop. If they look like they could be that young, then you should probably just stay away. Period.

 

Consider this a warning for everyone. We're not going to try and rationalize this.

The age of consent is 16. However, there are conflicting laws out there about sexting that they sometimes call child pronography. I'm not advocating adults having sex with people under the age of 18, I'm just hip to the reality that it happens and always has. That's why the age of consent is 16 in this state. It is 12 in some parts of Mexico. It's just a reality of the human condition. And yes, young girls arean be very sexually aggressive these days.

57 minutes ago, NEOMatrix said:

As creepy as this sounds, the age of consent in Ohio is 16. So if Mike Jones had relations with the 16-year-old, then technically he would be off the hook. However, him getting a "picture" of her is a no-no. Hell, there have been cases of children getting slapped with a kiddy porn charge for sending their "privates" to another person, so the laws are pretty rigid in a lot of cases.

That's what I was referring to, not to mention the fact that it happens and how it always has. It may not be the norm, but it happens. Wasn't the age of consent 14 in West Virginia at one time? Sounds sick to you and me, but it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

 

 

Mike Davis is toast, but I am a little concerned with how loosely people have been using the words "pedophile" and "child" in these situations.

 

If you are looking at and getting off on pictures of 8 year old girls and boys, that's just plain sick. But they are also using these words to describe stuff involving 16 year olds. Not good behavior and not something to aspire too for sure. But it's also not something that makes me want to lock them up for life and ruin somebody over either.

 

The age of consent is 13 in Spain and some of these young girls now are pretty aggressive. There was the case of a high school coach in Lancaster several years ago who got in trouble for boinking a 16 year old. She's the one who chased after him!!!

 

In other words, I can see a situation where he got friendly with, say, a 16 year old. Next thing you know she is sexting him and that's what they are calling child ponography. You give somebody a time out for that  but you don't ruin them. These stories really need to be made more clear.

 

1 hour ago, 24994J said:

 

Good Lord, quit while you're ahead. This discussion stops now. If he was dealing with someone who was lying about they're age, then that's for the court system to sort out, but otherwise, just stop. If they look like they could be that young, then you should probably just stay away. Period.

 

Consider this a warning for everyone. We're not going to try and rationalize this.

 

37 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

The age of consent is 16. However, there are conflicting laws out there about sexting that they sometimes call child pronography. I'm not advocating adults having sex with people under the age of 18, I'm just hip to the reality that it happens and always has. That's why the age of consent is 16 in this state. It is 12 in some parts of Mexico. It's just a reality of the human condition. And yes, young girls arean be very sexually aggressive these days.

That's what I was referring to, not to mention the fact that it happens and how it always has. It may not be the norm, but it happens. Wasn't the age of consent 14 in West Virginia at one time? Sounds sick to you and me, but it happens.

16 year old’s brains are not fully developed to always know right from wrong. However, adults should know better. It’s ignorant to blame the minor here for being aggressive - the blame should be on the adult who should know better and be assertive in saying no. Not a case of mistaken age here. He deserves whatever punishment he gets and there should be no leniency.

Edited by TVNewsLover
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't think I would ever see a day on TVNT where we had to have a discussion on if an adult (upwards of 60 years old) is responsible for sexually engaging with an underage child. A very matured adult focusing their love interest on an underage child is perverted and there's no room for debate on that.

Edited by MorningNews
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TVNewsLover said:

16 year old’s brains are not fully developed to always know right from wrong. However, adults should know better. It’s ignorant to blame the minor here for being aggressive - the blame should be on the adult who should know better and be assertive in saying no. Not a case of mistaken age here.

 

You are 100% correct but sometimes people get confused, not to mention that we get mixed messages in society. If Kevin Spacey and Bill Clinton get off (no pun intended) after being caught doing this sort of thing, how bad can it be? And if you're on the receiving end of advances from someone, I can understand how tempting this might be. Especially a person in a public position! Not saying its right and not saying he shouldn't be punished, buuuuuuut ...

1 minute ago, MorningNews said:

Didn't think I would ever see a day on TVNT where we had to have a discussion on if an adult (upwards of 60 years old) is responsible for sexually engaging with an underage child. A very matured adult focusing their love interest on an underage child is perverted and there's no room for debate on that.

 

But going back to my beef with the wording, it's not (necessarily) child pornography. Likewise when they refer to someone as a pedophile. A pedo is someone who is sexually attracted to children under the age of puberty. The English language is said to be one of the more complicated languages in the world. That's because the English value specificity - that's my primary beef here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

But going back to my beef with the wording, it's not (necessarily) child pornography. Likewise when they refer to someone as a pedophile. A pedo is someone who is sexually attracted to children under the age of puberty. The English language is said to be one of the more complicated languages in the world. That's because the English value specificity - that's my primary beef here. 

If that's your argument then I agree. With sensitive subjects like this intricacy to detail and wording is important. In that same sense, I would alter your phrasing a bit because as of now it reads as if you're shaming the child for being promiscuous and defending the adult that cannot fight their urges to prey on youth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NEOMatrix said:

As creepy as this sounds, the age of consent in Ohio is 16. So if Mike Jones had relations with the 16-year-old, then technically he would be off the hook. However, him getting a "picture" of her is a no-no. Hell, there have been cases of children getting slapped with a kiddy porn charge for sending their "privates" to another person, so the laws are pretty rigid in a lot of cases.

The 10tv article specifically mentions a prepubescent child not a teenager. 

 

And since you brought up age of consent at ages like 16 are done usually done within a certain age range - so that things like high school sweethearts where one turns 18 or goes to college they wouldn’t get in any trouble.  But they probably weren’t planning on a 60 something being in a relationship with a 16 year old. But being in possession of any photo is forbidden. 

 

I will also say an adult should a child or teen pursue them should be strong enough to tell them no and if any photos arrive report them to authorities.

 

That’s all I’m going to say about this and I think we shouldn’t discuss this other than updates on the situation. 

Edited by rkolsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

 

You are 100% correct but sometimes people get confused, not to mention that we get mixed messages in society. If Kevin Spacey and Bill Clinton get off (no pun intended) after being caught doing this sort of thing, how bad can it be? And if you're on the receiving end of advances from someone, I can understand how tempting this might be. Especially a person in a public position! Not saying its right and not saying he shouldn't be punished, buuuuuuut ...

 

But going back to my beef with the wording, it's not (necessarily) child pornography. Likewise when they refer to someone as a pedophile. A pedo is someone who is sexually attracted to children under the age of puberty. The English language is said to be one of the more complicated languages in the world. That's because the English value specificity - that's my primary beef here. 

I can understand the schematics of things, but I'll have to agree with @24994J on this one. This is a forum that we discuss TV news and in this case, someone's departure and firing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MorningNews said:

If that's your argument then I agree. With sensitive subjects like this intricacy to detail and wording is important. In that same sense, I would alter your phrasing a bit because as of now it reads as if you're shaming the child for being promiscuous and defending the adult that cannot fight their urges to prey on youth.

 

ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

The 10tv article specifically mentions a prepubescent child not a teenager. 

 

To be fair to everyone, that information has been a more recent update to the initial publication. It was not that specific earlier.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Split this out into its own thread — it's huge news in its own right.

 

Let's get caught up on the headlines:

 

Two weeks ago, the Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) task force received a tip that Davis had sent and received a "significant" amount of child pornography, according to Franklin County sheriff Dallas Baldwin. Search warrants were executed today at Davis's home in Upper Arlington, where he was arrested and devices were seized, and at the WBNS studios, where authorities took into custody his personal laptop and four thumb drives. The station says it was not aware of the charges until this morning.

 

WBNS has pledged, "We will cover this story with the same ethical standards we would any other case."

 

Davis will appear before a judge tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line, if you're a recognizable personality in a trusted position, it comes with a certain level of morality and responsibility that is often mandated by your employer.

 

Even in a weird case (like John Bolaris), that was still a situation he could have opted not to have introduced himself into.. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

That’s all I’m going to say about this and I think we shouldn’t discuss this other than updates on the situation. 

Not to mention, I think the Mike Davis situation should be in its own thread

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 8Viewer said:

I had to sit down when I read this. Very sad. 

 

The internet, anonymity and relatively easy access to this stuff makes it easy for people sometimes to get sucked in. Was it better in the old days when porn was a taboo subject, wasn't readily available and you had to put on a disguise to go to an adult book store? I don't know the answer but it's sad that people ruin their lives over this kind of stuff. 

 

(I know we are talking about child porn, but I would imagine that easy access to regular porn could be the "gateway drug" here.)

Edited by DirtyHarry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I had to quit reading the Reddit comments because it's the usual "I knew something was off about that guy!" People keep piling on.

 

Let the case take its course in the legal system. 

Edited by 8Viewer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.