New KOIN graphics?

PTVNews

On 1/19/2022 at 9:34 PM, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

I do like the blue variant of these graphics... 

If WLEX went to Nexstar instead of Scripps, this would have been an excellent successor to their previous Linear Drift package (and far more superior to the current standard Scripps crap).

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that morning team is CRINGE. Jeez. Aside from that... that's an odd mashup of graphics. Looks like the old Giant Octopus WABC syndicated look for the opens, the KOIN look for talent bumps, and a mishmash for everything else. So odd!

2 hours ago, qunewsguy said:

Wow that morning team is CRINGE. Jeez. Aside from that... that's an odd mashup of graphics. Looks like the old Giant Octopus WABC syndicated look for the opens, the KOIN look for talent bumps, and a mishmash for everything else. So odd!

There’s no KOIN anywhere. It’s actually:

In-house for talent bumps

Hothaus WKRC or Giant Octupus WABC (I’m not sure) for the L3s 

Nexstar ABC for the bug and ticker.

WFXP is using Nexstar Fox with in-house opens.

6 minutes ago, TheSpeedKing said:

There’s no KOIN anywhere. It’s actually:

In-house for talent bumps

Hothaus WKRC or Giant Octupus WABC (I’m not sure) for the L3s 

Nexstar ABC for the bug and ticker.

WFXP is using Nexstar Fox with in-house opens.

** In-house talent bumps and opens (except for the '24' asset)

** Hothaus WKRC L3s (stripped down, no precomps, and lens flare sprites removed)

** Hothaus WKRC Full Screens, U3s, Weather and Franchises (not even rerendered with the new ABC logo)

Nexstar ABC for the bug and ticker

Result = NOT the presentation of an organized local station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, HoosierNewsie said:

The award for the most awkward talent open goes too… WJET.

Seriously, was is the morning anchor/meteorologist doing with their hands in the talent open…? 

Agreed. So many things wrong with these talent opens. The news anchor robotically lifting and tilting his head looks very forced and unnatural. The news and weather anchors both make awkward hand gestures. The weather guy looks off to the left at the end of the group shot on ABC. Clearly the shot ran out. They couldn’t fix? It’s especially odd because the Fox open doesn’t have that issue. Also … I’m not sure why they feature the sports director, whose segments are pretaped from the night before. Not trying to be a jerk, but if anyone knows the people who put this together, maybe have them reach out to a more experienced peer in a larger market for feedback next time. 

All graphic mishmashes aside, I felt like I was watching a reboot of Today In Cleveland...the only things missing were the Haley Shuffle, the kitchen-like set and Henry the Rooster!

As for the graphics.  I'm thinking the open was some kind of template package that had the KOIN-like vibe to it.

The only thing that even ties in to the current offerings of Nexstar is the time/temp bug and the ticker.

Edited by tyrannical bastard

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Duc4TVNewsTalk said:

WVNS got the WISH graphics.

Not bad but very small market. Just a few questions:

1) What is with the open? Why does the same logo animation appear twice at the beginning (once with the slogan, once with out) then again at the end (one without the time and one with the time). Whatever the deal is with that just makes it look more cheap. 

2) Is a stinger really necessary for every story? 

3) Is that a talent open or mugshot? The meteorologist practically looking to the left.  It’s about as awkward and cringy as WJET’s talent open. 

F790E6F0-4E5B-4B6D-90A4-5A3E298759E4.jpeg

Overall, I give this a ‘C’ - it’s definitely an improvement, but more could be done on the design/creativity side of the graphics and music.

Edited by HoosierNewsie
  • Like 2

It is good to see the former West Virginia Media stations branching out a little more on their own after Bray Cary pretty much hubbed them all together.  WVNS more so than the others since it was pretty much more of an extension of WOWK for years.... before finally branching out on their own.

The only real vestige of the WVMH days is "West Virginia Tonight", as the rest of the stations have done away with some of the central-casting that was done in the past like doing a statewide weekend newscast.

13 hours ago, HoosierNewsie said:

3) Is that a talent open or mugshot? The meteorologist practically looking to the left.  It’s about as awkward and cringy as WJET’s talent open. 

F790E6F0-4E5B-4B6D-90A4-5A3E298759E4.jpeg

Overall, I give this a ‘C’ - it’s definitely an improvement, but more could be done on the design/creativity side of the graphics and music.

A Google image search of "Heidi Moore WVNS" reveals this is really her preferred "look" for photos.  At least she's consistent!

17 hours ago, CarolinaWxGuy said:

KMID got the KOIN graphics recently and that 2 logo reminds me of WBBH's or WKRN's old logo.

That is a clunky branding "ABC Big 2 News" but I will say this, it's one of the better implementations of the KOIN graphics. Looks like they went with the WFLA version.

Also, Charlie Van Dyke actually sounds the best he's sounded in a long time here.