New KOIN graphics?

PTVNews

WGNO was coming in tonight....so i'm giving it a watch and seeing how it compares with WKRN's version of the KOIN package.

Overall, I like the WKRN implementation more.  The only thing I would say is to use the coloring that WGNO uses on their main supers for WKRN.

The purple(ish) ticker on WGNO DOES NOT WORK AT ALL.  Either do the whole package in Mardi gras colors or don't do it at all.  It looks like a sore thumb when combined with the graphics in the primary colors.

Reading back through this thread, the original KOIN version has that turquoise-ish shade of blue, and subsequent launches have opted for either a navy or lighter shade of blue.

I don't know if there's a "safety tab" on these graphics, it looks like there is dead space to the right of the words, maybe it's a trigger if more characters are needed, and if the max is reached, the "auto-stretch" kicks in?   But that's a producer thing, so their supers aren't too long.  It's like the newspaper headline of this century.  Short and effective supers.

And since the package sort of has the Tegna-vibe to it, is this the way that WGNO is trying to out-WWL....WWL?  At least this comparision can't be made in Nashville since they don't have a Tegna station.

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

The package seems to have been rushed to air without planning.  The blue-on-blue in the L3 ticker is an eyesore.  Also, the sports scores lack league information and the use of Arial for weather details is appalling.

Agreed: it is a terrible implementation of the KOIN graphics to date.

5 hours ago, DesertNewsGeek said:

The package seems to have been rushed to air without planning.  The blue-on-blue in the L3 ticker is an eyesore.  Also, the sports scores lack league information and the use of Arial for weather details is appalling.

Agreed: it is a terrible implementation of the KOIN graphics to date.

Like, doing the KOIN treatment and using Montserrat as the package font works. Arial, not so much.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
23 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Bump 

WJTV has switched themes (for some odd reason 🤔🤷‍♂️). Canvas gets replaced by This Is The Place. Problem is that WDBD has the same theme. 🤦‍♂️

I don't know who blundered more...WJTV or Stephen Arnold?

Perhaps they tried to pass off WJTV as WHLT? (since they basically simulcast all of WJTV's newscasts in Hatttiesburg....)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Watching some storm coverage from WKRN, it looks like they've modified the lower thirds from the rectangles for each text field to a single two-line lower third. 

Large bold text on top and regular small text on the bottom.

It's in red since it was a weather cut-in.  I'm curious to see if the rest of the package has been modified.

The similar lower thirds that Gray launched at some of their stations (like WBTV)...I wonder if Nexstar tweaked the package because of this?

I also noticed that the time/temp bug looks VERY similar to the one implemented at WSMV and their other clones (the former Meredith stations).  Who launched first, the original WSMV package that was hubbed or the KOIN/WKRN package?

4 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Who launched first, the original WSMV package that was hubbed or the KOIN/WKRN package?

The KOIN package launched in September of 2019 whereas the WSMV "Gray" look launched in March of 2020 alongside In Sink V.6. However, the time/temp bug on the WSMV look is reused from the WFTV package, which was released way back in 2016.

1 minute ago, TheSpeedKing said:

The KOIN package launched in September of 2019 whereas the WSMV "Gray" look launched in March of 2020 alongside In Sink V.6. However, the time/temp bug on the WSMV look is reused from the WFTV package, which was released way back in 2016.

Actually, WKRN launched their new look AFTER WSMV. In fact, by order of launch, WSMV launched their new graphics first, then WTVF got the new Scripps look, then WZTV got the new Sinclair graphics, and finally WKRN got their new look around this time last year.

Just now, tyrannical bastard said:

Here's the modified lowers that WKRN is using:

image.png.d0011c3a2c1d95c09851769a553ea8d3.png

image.png.f50bae736d654306f88397b301f27912.png

They only use those for CrimeTracker, Weather Alerts, and Breaking News. Everything else is standard KOIN.

2 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

Actually, WKRN launched their new look AFTER WSMV. In fact, by order of launch, WSMV launched their new graphics first, then WTVF got the new Scripps look, then WZTV got the new Sinclair graphics, and finally WKRN got their new look around this time last year.

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

2 hours ago, TheSpeedKing said:

Nice info there, but to clarify, I wasn't talking about market rollout. Rather, I was talking about packages released overall. Artists can get inspiration for their new packages from anywhere in the world.