New KOIN graphics?

PTVNews

On 10/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, JohnnyNews said:

Let’s focus on another station now because that’s ridiculous. So many delays they should just wait til 2021

On 10/24/2020 at 6:07 PM, dman748 said:

You would think so but as Kent indicated to us on Discord last night, they're going to continue moving forward and rolling out this pkg in time for the election. I firmly believe that they've gone so far in on this project that there's no way they're going to delay it until next year.

They want to get it right and not rushed like what we saw with WFLA's implementation of this pkg.

^ THIS.

• 4 weeks later...

It's keeping the momentum going at WKRN for sure.  They had a good thing with the prior look, and this one works just as well.  It's a great package that will work for virtually any Nexstar station, since it's not tied to a particular network's logos or styling.

Some of the supers need work, but that's a producer thing so they don't cram too many words into the top line, and the "auto-squish" kicks in.

While I like WSMV's look overall, it's maybe a little too flashy for them.  If they were CBS or FOX, I'd be ok with it.  The packages that WGCL and WHNS have work well for them.

Unfortunately WTVF came down with the Scripps-itis.  I don't know how they're doing these days, but it can't be good news for them, presentation-wise.

And WZTV is your run-of-the-mill Sinclair station, J-Bar, Code Red and all.....

Edited by tyrannical bastard
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MartheJokester said:

I like those new graphics from what I've seen so far at wkrn.

Man, where did this guy get this recording from? That Breaking News open definitely running at a crispy 60fps, and I love it. Is WKRN airing in 60fps? I'd assume they may be switching at 60 but transmitting at 29.97, unless I'm missing something? Either way, I think this package is an excellent fit.

Also, mad props to the talent for just rolling with the punches off the top. I've seen an anchor or two absolutely crash and burn when stuff goes wrong, so good on them.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TheGuru said:

Man, where did this guy get this recording from? That Breaking News open definitely running at a crispy 60fps, and I love it. Is WKRN airing in 60fps? I'd assume they may be switching at 60 but transmitting at 29.97, unless I'm missing something? Either way, I think this package is an excellent fit.

WKRN, like most ABC affiliates, does broadcast in 720p/59.94fps, so they must either live in the market or have access to an Cable/Satellite/OTT feed.  Most of the OTT providers can pass through the same quality feed as they are broadcast. And there are ways to get these OTT feeds out of market....

I did catch one of their spots saying to "watch us on Roku!"   Which is technically impossible because, well Nexstar. (unless it's FINALLY in the cards?)  

The only way is if you subscribe to an OTT service that carries them, which Hulu is NOT one of them at this time due to a retransmisison spat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Not sure if this should go here or the Graphics Knockoff thread...

Hubbard's WDIO in Duluth has a very close resemblance to the KOIN graphics.... Slight tweaks but definitely the motions are there.... Weather graphics are definitely the KOIN variety

In Northern MN this week and have watched more than my fair share of WDIO- Weather graphics, yes, KOIN knockoff, News opens/graphics have more of a WISH-TV feel to them. Honestly thought the old graphics (Scripps early 2010's knockoffs) were better, but hey, they're still #1 so what do I know?

4 hours ago, MichiganNewsGraphicsJunkie said:

Not sure if this should go here or the Graphics Knockoff thread...

Hubbard's WDIO in Duluth has a very close resemblance to the KOIN graphics.... Slight tweaks but definitely the motions are there.... Weather graphics are definitely the KOIN variety

That is likely because WDIO's graphics were also made by Linear Drift per my source.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GodfreyGR said:

In Northern MN this week and have watched more than my fair share of WDIO- Weather graphics, yes, KOIN knockoff, News opens/graphics have more of a WISH-TV feel to them. Honestly thought the old graphics (Scripps early 2010's knockoffs) were better, but hey, they're still #1 so what do I know?

The WDIO were done by Linear Drift and that package was around before KOIN so not a knockoff. They were done by the same people.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...