New KOIN graphics?

PTVNews

16 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

As mentioned on the Discord, WFLA is set to get these graphics soon, exactly what date is not yet known.

I can confirm WKRN will also be getting these graphics, a blue/red variant, by October 1 and possibly new music as well.

I also suspect that WCMH is probably going to switch to that package as well.

I don't expect every single Nexstar station to switch to this package but there will be a handful of those that do end up switching to this package.

• Like 2

If what was said above comes to be true, it would almost be like replacing the prior MG look with the KOIN graphics.  Besides WCBD and WSAV, who else in Nexstar (legacy stations) uses the NBC package?

By default, WCMH has the best graphics in the market, ever since 10TV came down with the Tegna-itis and all of the Sinclair stuff over at 6/28 we've come to put up with. 

And Nexstar has really upped the production values on WCMH since taking over from Media General.  It may not seem like much, but just by getting Arnold's Guardian and adding the Working 4 You slogan, it's really pepped up the product that's suffered under the neglect by Media General as WSYX and Sinclair have sailed ahead of them.

26 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

If what was said above comes to be true, it would almost be like replacing the prior MG look with the KOIN graphics.  Besides WCBD and WSAV, who else in Nexstar (legacy stations) uses the NBC package?

By default, WCMH has the best graphics in the market, ever since 10TV came down with the Tegna-itis and all of the Sinclair stuff over at 6/28 we've come to put up with. 

And Nexstar has really upped the production values on WCMH since taking over from Media General.  It may not seem like much, but just by getting Arnold's Guardian and adding the Working 4 You slogan, it's really pepped up the product that's suffered under the neglect by Media General as WSYX and Sinclair have sailed ahead of them.

True but considering the fact that WFLA and WKRN are switching to this package I think it would only be fair to see WCMH get this as well (I think most likely they'd get the WFLA version and not the version WKRN is launching)

20 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

I know that KFDX, KAMR, KTAL, KNWA, KSNF, KARK, and KSNW are just some here in the southern plains that I know use the Nexstar NBC package. This is why I see KFOR eventually getting the NBC package whenever Nexstar gets around to imposing their look in OKC.

On 8/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, JCB4TV said:

I know that KFDX, KAMR, KTAL, KNWA, KSNF, KARK, and KSNW are just some here in the southern plains that I know use the Nexstar NBC package. This is why I see KFOR eventually getting the NBC package whenever Nexstar gets around to imposing their look in OKC.

Actually I don't see the Nexstar NBC package coming to KFOR.

I imagine that either KFOR is going to get the variant of the KOIN pkg that WKRN will be getting October 1 or, they may wait until the localized version of the Graphics that will be used on NewsNation starts to get rolled out to to the stations (and that'll be awhile before that happens)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Yankees4life said:

Even worse. They're using Aerial as their news theme 🤦‍♂️

When they kinda could’ve used SAM’s Enforcer-inspired CBS Local instead....

(and have an “11” that’s in a box like ‘JTV and ‘NCN)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, JohnnyNews said:

And it's the 6th and I see this still (MEDIA GENERAL GRAPHICS)

7 Day Forecast

It makes me wonder what the issue is at WKRN with installing the graphics and getting it switched over and I'm sure @KentBrockman can explain this since he works at 'KRN.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, JohnnyNews said:

WKRN gets KOIN package today.

On 10/1/2020 at 8:48 PM, ColumbusNewsFan said:

I believe it will debut Monday, October 5th. This straight from The Source there.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:52 AM, JohnnyNews said:

And it's the 6th and I see this still (MEDIA GENERAL GRAPHICS)

7 Day Forecast

On 10/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, dman748 said:

It makes me wonder what the issue is at WKRN with installing the graphics and getting it switched over and I'm sure @KentBrockman can explain this since he works at 'KRN.

I’ve admittedly neglected the forum and I apologize. As I mentioned on Discord...

No they haven’t. I think they’re still working out a few kinks and bugs. There was some setbacks with weather graphics also, especially with Hurricane Delta now. Plus, they’re focused on having no hiccups for our zoo fundraiser tomorrow so I’m sure they’re coming just they’ll be a bit late. They don’t want to rush it because they want it all to be perfected on air.

Another thing to know, graphics changeover is not as simple as pressing a button, There are so many things that go into it like templates having to be re-created, purging the old graphics out of the system, Training the producers on the new graphics templates, building out new templates as we go. They’re gonna have to redesign the bugs and tickers to fit the new graphics which is another process, our control room is gonna have to make sure that all the graphics can punch up when cued. It would be one thing if it was only a slight update, but these graphics are gonna be so radically different than what we have now especially the lower thirds and how they animate that’s going to require a little bit longer to make sure it’s perfect.

And we’re also doing all of this during a pandemic with a lot of people working from home, and at least two new COVID-19 cases on the staff so things in general are just taking a bit longer.

UPDATE: I did see the new graphics today briefly on a sponsor ad. Change at WKRN is imminent, maybe early next week?

On 8/11/2020 at 4:28 AM, dman748 said:

RE: KFOR - they may wait until the localized version of the Graphics that will be used on NewsNation starts to get rolled out to to the stations (and that'll be awhile before that happens)

That also won’t be happening. Nexstar is keeping NewsNation’s look separate from the local stations. In fact, WKRN is getting the KOIN package because of it’s similarities to the NewsNation look. I would suspect more stations will get the KOIN package (minus stations here and there that go with the older network affiliate packs) versus get something new entirely.

• 2 weeks later...

They took the nbc package and made it none-peacock branding. Interesting 

On 10/19/2020 at 7:10 PM, KentBrockman said:

CONFIRMED: WKRN getting new graphics Monday, October 26 at 4pm.

Another delay? Incredible 

• Like 2

On 10/20/2020 at 9:27 AM, HoosierNewsie said:

Speaking of the NBC package, WMBD (cbs) has been using it for their 4pm news. 

That just doesn’t look right, at all.

On 10/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, Sendir said:

They took the nbc package and made it none-peacock branding. Interesting 

Another delay? Incredible 

Yep and WKRN delayed again until after the Election we were told on Friday.

They want to make sure EVERYTHING is perfect for air and the ND isn’t happy with it just yet. It’s getting there though, they have tested it and producers are training on it.

WKRN is NOT getting set updates but a new studio floor, which will have the newscasts done from the newsroom this weekend while that’s being done.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:27 AM, JohnnyNews said:

@KentBrockman That makes sense I was told that a Nexstar Station would launch new graphics and an updated set that day.

Not us. Probably someone else.

15 hours ago, KentBrockman said:

That just doesn’t look right, at all.

Yep and WKRN delayed again until after the Election we were told on Friday.

They want to make sure EVERYTHING is perfect for air and the ND isn’t happy with it just yet. It’s getting there though, they have tested it and producers are training on it.

WKRN is NOT getting set updates but a new studio floor, which will have the newscasts done from the newsroom this weekend while that’s being done.

Not us. Probably someone else.

Let’s focus on another station now because that’s ridiculous. So many delays they should just wait til 2021

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JohnnyNews said:

Let’s focus on another station now because that’s ridiculous. So many delays they should just wait til 2021

You would think so but as Kent indicated to us on Discord last night, they're going to continue moving forward and rolling out this pkg in time for the election. I firmly believe that they've gone so far in on this project that there's no way they're going to delay it until next year.

They want to get it right and not rushed like what we saw with WFLA's implementation of this pkg.