New KOIN graphics?

PTVNews

KOIN is about to debut a new set, and some signs point towards new graphics as well, but I'm not sure. They've been using a new look in topical promos and sponsor billboards. Does this look like a current Nexstar package or something new? I feel like I've seen this before, but maybe not. It's a flat design, boxy, blue/teal and gray with a bit of yellow accent. Thanks in advance.

238786510_ScreenShot2019-09-04at1_36_01AM.thumb.png.cc31f4171578a93a43878f2e4cd38ffa.png

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_1_40.49_AM.thumb.png.d43db85ea1a6854fa2c908447b381fee.png

1261875198_ScreenShot2019-09-04at1_46_25AM.thumb.png.75c33e7a677dd75b147b061f6de1621d.png

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_1_38.27_AM.png

• Confused 1

They debuted at noon today. Anyone recognize the music? 

Overall fairly nice. I like the set better than the graphics, but I'd say the graphics are fresher and better than their old look.

I like the design but the accent colors ruin it. Too much red and ugly shade of yellow, especially in the weather graphics. The open is nice, but I don't like how it quickly shows the title slate and then goes to the slogan. Wish it stayed put.

I do like how the transitions animate and how the lower thirds look. Kinda similar to their old look. They expand or collapse their length based on the amount of text. The ticker is way too big though. It's almost the same size as the main super line. Interestingly, it seems like the live bug is just like their old version. 

2 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Overall fairly nice. I like the set better than the graphics, but I'd say the graphics are fresher and better than their old look.

I like the design but the accent colors ruin it. Too much red and ugly shade of yellow, especially in the weather graphics. The open is nice, but I don't like how it quickly shows the title slate and then goes to the slogan. Wish it stayed put.

I do like how the transitions animate and how the lower thirds look. Kinda similar to their old look. They expand or collapse their length based on the amount of text. The ticker is way too big though. It's almost the same size as the main super line. Interestingly, it seems like the live bug is just like their old version. 

Nothing against the standard Nexstar CBS affiliates graphics package but it's nice to see that a large market station like KOIN will have something that is somewhat still unique in comparison.

2 hours ago, PTVNews said:

Very nice set.  One complaint … Something needs done with the time.  Bleeds into the logo.  I'm sure they will address that.  

-- Matt

I want to like this - as it is definitely “on trend” in terms of a flat design.  But - the open is sloppy and clearly inspired by TEGNA. (Diagonal stripe pattern is an obvious similarity.). I do like the transitions and wipe/masking effects.

The set is a nice variation of what we’ve seen in recent Nexstar sets - similar to WISH but with an overall “darker” palette and varying textures.  Plus, unique features like the bridge cables and street patterns really bring a “local” 😂 flavor.

In this age of consolidation, I appreciate Nexstar’s approach to individual station branding and identity. (Which is obviously a remnant from Media General and Lin.)  I wish TEGNA, Scripps and Sinclair would take a similar approach,  It’s standardization without being too cookie cutter - offering options for individuality amid a slate of consistent design elements.

• Like 2

A real shame KOIN dropped The Unexpected—they commissioned some really nice updates to that package.

That aside, I’m not as thrilled with the graphics as others here, but it works well as a non-network branded package, much like the “ABC” Nexstar package.

Edited by TSSZNews
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:47 PM, ttvn2000 said:

I want to like this - as it is definitely “on trend” in terms of a flat design. 

Move over,     |      |      |      |      |      |      |     |      |    s,

>      >      >      >      >      >      >      >      >    is the new trendy thing in town.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Journalist said:

Move over,     |      |      |      |      |      |      |     |      |    s,

>      >      >      >      >      >      >      >      >    is the new trendy thing in town.

And since design trends are cyclical, I imagine we will soon start to see things like 

[ FIRST IN HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE ]

[ PRESENTED IN UP-CONVERTED DIGITAL 4K ]

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

As mentioned on the Discord, WFLA is set to get these graphics soon, exactly what date is not yet known.

I can confirm WKRN will also be getting these graphics, a blue/red variant, by October 1 and possibly new music as well.