Star Spangled Banner Making a Return

rkolsen

Groups like Nexstar and Gray have already announced and are playing the SSB daily. CBS station’s have joined the fray as well.

Here’s a capture of Gray’s version from KXII.

And you’ll see the WCBS and KPIX versions are essentially identical aside from a few local landmarks. 

While WJZ retained stock elements of the image but went with a lot more Baltimore centric version.

What do do you guys think of he return of the SSB?

I think it's pretty unnecessary (and at least for me, deeply unsettling) in an age when stations do not sign off. If it was a minimal shot of the flag waving I would be more sympathetic, but the visuals are truly over the top. 

CBS is the only one group that didn't put a press release that they're doing this, unlike Gray & Nexstar.

I will never forget when WGN did this practice all the way to the mid 1990s. 

Vid courtesy of capnvid47 from YT.

Here's two clips from Nexstar:

Vid Courtesy of ArkLaTex's YT page.

Vid Courtesy of WFXR's YT Page.

After one late night/early morning program ends, and before the early morning news begins, I'm guessing THAT SLOT is where stations are putting the NEW Star Spangled Banner. 

In a world where stations are NOW staying on the air 24/7, it's good to see a long lost tradition make a comeback to the airwaves.

I see that the CBS O&O stations are taking that SSB video from the Gray-owned stations, and putting their own twist to the SSB, mainly at the end of the salute to America.

The great thing about our country is that nobody is dictating  that stations must run the anthem.

Stations that don't run the anthem do so by choice. All that say's to me is they have decided not to run it. It doesn't make them any less of an American unless they denounce the country.

In North Korea, the poor guy in master control better hit that "vtr playback" on time...

Or he, (and 3 generations of family) can end up in a state run concentration camp.

Thank God we have a choice.

And the parody version...

1 hour ago, 8Viewer said:

The public owns the airwaves. Kinda nice to see it come back.

Does anyone think it's because stations are trying to "fill time" with the ad market on the decline?

No,

Besides, a smart operator would see it as perfect sponsorship opportunity...

Let freedom ring, all the way to the bank.

I don't ever remember hearing The National Anthem on TV Stations when they signed off ever but then again I was in bed as that was late at night as I didn't have the TV on all night like I do now. I haven't heard it on the Nexstar TV Stations in West Michigan sleeping threw it.

29 minutes ago, Megatron81 said:

I don't ever remember hearing The National Anthem on TV Stations when they signed off 

National anthem begins at the 55-second Mark. Worth your click  Because this is how it should be done. Not some cheesy Nashville Act.

I was thinking with Nexstar and CBS using identical versions (have yet to see Gray’s) is it possible that NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) produced it for station’s to edit to their own desire”

10 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

National anthem begins at the 55-second Mark. Worth your click  Because this is how it should be done. Not some cheesy Nashville Act.

The Columbus Symphony Orchestra, coupled with shots of Central Ohio landmarks — what a signoff. Also love the use of the “Spirit of Ohio” theme. 

Nexstar’s canned anthem has nothing on this — since they’re all about “local,” shouldn’t they use locally produced videos? I reckon WCMH has a vast video archive... hell they could have used the Waverly High School kids from Pike County who performed at this year’s Red, White & Boom. 

1 hour ago, ColDayNews said:

The Columbus Symphony Orchestra, coupled with shots of Central Ohio landmarks — what a signoff. Also love the use of the “Spirit of Ohio” theme. 

Nexstar’s canned anthem has nothing on this — since they’re all about “local,” shouldn’t they use locally produced videos? I reckon WCMH has a vast video archive... hell they could have used the Waverly High School kids from Pike County who performed at this year’s Red, White & Boom. 

WTVN/WSYX was doing this kind of sign-off from at least the time I was old enough to notice such things which was sometime in the 1970's. Imagine how great this would look and sound today in digital (which sounds great even through a converter box), not to mention Dolby 5.1.

12 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I concur with Dirty Harry. I watched those Nexstar videos with Nashville acts, and I've got to say, it doesn't have as much strength and gravitas as other renditions in the past

I remember THIS rendition from Sandi Patty, and this was used when KRDO ABC13 in Colorado Springs/Pueblo ended and began their broadcast day with this rendition. It showed beauty shots of Colorado Springs and our military, while this song played in the background

2 hours ago, ColDayNews said:

That's similar to what I said on a Dayton board. Just go down to one of the black churches in the area, find the best gospel singer you can find and have her bellow out the National Anthem for you on camera. It's local and far more relevant. Also, I'm sure Wright-Patterson has some kind of a band or glee club that could do the same thing for them.

23 minutes ago, newsteam13 said:

I concur with Dirty Harry. I watched those Nexstar videos with Nashville acts, and I've got to say, it doesn't have as much strength and gravitas as other renditions in the past

I remember THIS rendition from Sandi Patty, and this was used when KRDO ABC13 in Colorado Springs/Pueblo ended and began their broadcast day with this rendition. It showed beauty shots of Colorado Springs and our military, while this song played in the background

Agree. That was a great rendition.

I don't like the canned, overproduced nature of these national things. It leaves me feeling dirty.

23 hours ago, DirtyHarry said:

I saw the Nexstar canned national anthem used by WDTN, featuring some Nashville star. I'll pass. 

Not a fan of this canned national crap. I thought Nexstar was supposed to be about being local.

https://www.facebook.com/wdtn2/videos/3215048648535402/

It isn't that bad.  I do kinda like the sound effect of the flag flapping in the wind.  Adds an interesting effect to it.

-- Matt

37 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

It isn't that bad.  I do kinda like the sound effect of the flag flapping in the wind.  Adds an interesting effect to it.

-- Matt

Your LOCAL TV station should be doing something LOCAL. That's fine for a Nashville station, but something local resonates more.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:20 PM, Eat News said:

No,

Besides, a smart operator would see it as perfect sponsorship opportunity...

Let freedom ring, all the way to the bank.

Which is what KTRK did several years ago, I believe. (Naturally, I can't find the video on YouTube.)

Since we're talking about renditions of our national anthem, I thought I'd throw in one rendition for good measure. PBS member station KCET in Los Angeles signing off with the University of Southern California marching band performing our national anthem at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (home of Rams, Raiders and the 1984 Summer Olympics) 

VERY RARE indeed, seeing that very FEW PBS member stations ever played the Star Spangled Banner at the end, and then beginning, of their broadcast day. Very few PBS member stations playing our salute to America back in the day, can you believe it? After the sign off, those stations went straight to the test-pattern, and then, cut off the juice until it was time to go back on the air.

7 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

Since we're talking about renditions of our national anthem, I thought I'd throw in one rendition for good measure. PBS member station KCET in Los Angeles signing off with the University of Southern California marching band performing our national anthem at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum (home of Rams, Raiders and the 1984 Summer Olympics) 

That was cool. On a related note, WOSU-TV used to shut down playing The Ohio State University anthem, Carmen Ohio. I presume the music was also performed by The Ohio State University marching band, even though you don't see it in the sign-off.

• 2 weeks later...

Gray's CEO Hilton Howell explained in a B&C interview how CBS acquired their clip of the anthem.

I just watched on YouTube — Gray brought back one of the traditions of local broadcasting. For decades, if not from the beginning of the industry, when we signed off, the national anthem was played. Gray brought back that tradition. We launched with a wonderful 9-year-old singer named Reina [Ozbay] in all 93 markets. We don’t sign off anymore, but we shift from one broadcast day to another. CBS liked it so much they asked if they could use it on their owned-and-operated stations. We were delighted to let them do so.

Just a few minutes ago, I watched our national anthem on the New York station owned by CBS. It was a great thing.

Archived