KOIN new set

PTVNews

I've heard rumblings over the past few weeks that KOIN was working on a new set and that it was going to debut soon. Nothing new on TV yet, but I'm paying close attention.

I did however just come across this video posted recently on their Youtube page. It shows an interview on a couch set that I know is definitely new....which is interesting because KOIN hasn't had a lifestyle show since the late 2000s. (That old set was still just sitting in an unused studio as of relatively recently.) This leaves 2 questions. 1: Will there be a part 2 to this new set which is a new news set?  2: Is KOIN planning to launch a new show soon? (otherwise, what's the point of this set?)

Also, the logo in the monitor on the set in this clip is a new version/layout that I haven't seen before. I first noticed it within the past few weeks in KOIN promos on TV. Not sure if it's just an alternate version, or going to be their new main version.

I don't think that is a good TV couch. Makes the people have awkward posture.

It's not out of the question for KOIN to be working on some new things considering the pending Nexstar acquisition of Tribune will result in KOIN becoming a duopoly with KRCW (CW). KOIN has already started a streaming 10pm newscast to "practice" for the inevitable takeover of doing the 10pm news on KRCW which KGW has done for years.

So it does look like they are going to be debuting a new set soon. They've been airing topical promos this week using tight shots of the anchors on the set. I don't follow other Nexstar sets too much so I can't tell if it's exactly like another Nexstar set, but it definitely has the Nexstar look. Appears like the desk is in the corner.

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_1_28.52_AM.thumb.png.69ef5a9f8efce32d39bd7deb85428058.png

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_1_34.23_AM.thumb.png.c895108e1e84740871740661832e69d9.png

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_1_38.27_AM.thumb.png.e3d2f86f0b2edd0a71a265cc4384a57e.png

I'll post more screenshots in the graphics forum, but the topical lower thirds and sponsor billboards have a new look. It's a flat design, boxy, blue and gray with a bit of yellow accent. Not sure if that's indicative of new graphics to come, or just a different look for topicals.

14 minutes ago, who?cares said:

I really like the bridge looking cables behind Jeff.  

Did you notice that generically or are you from the area? I noticed that element as well but was going to wait for a better look at it to make a comment. It's most likely meant to resemble the relatively new Tilikum Crossing bridge.

15775593919_987395e0bd_h.thumb.jpg.bb80b94d2ee999e56e49d6e2aa864ef2.jpg

They debuted the new set and graphics today at noon. Looks pretty nice. Definitely either first or second best in the market along with KATU.

They closed out the noon show sitting on the couch. I like the city street map overlay in the weather center. Nice touch. 

https://www.koin.com/oregon-2/koin-6-debuts-new-studio-set/

I didn't realize at first but the wall behind the desk with the skyline actually changes and seems to be able to show video/etc. I'm curious of anyone knows what type of display technology that is for such a large display? Low resolution LED, rear projection...?? I'm guessing they artificially blur whatever they put in there, but otherwise it looks like a fairly crisp type of display.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PTVNews said:

Maybe this was common knowledge about Nexstar but I had no idea FX was behind this set.

That's interesting. I'm rather surprised Nexstar is allowing more outsourcing of their set builds these days than doing it all in house like we've seen with the KLAS knock-offs (aka "Dalek Desk") and the WISH-TV clones over the past couple of years. It would likely explain why stations like WJHL, KGPE, and a few others received some more complex designs as of late.

On 9/7/2019 at 5:11 AM, PTVNews said:

I didn't realize at first but the wall behind the desk with the skyline actually changes and seems to be able to show video/etc. I'm curious of anyone knows what type of display technology that is for such a large display? Low resolution LED, rear projection...?? I'm guessing they artificially blur whatever they put in there, but otherwise it looks like a fairly crisp type of display.

I can't tell you what brand it is, but it could be a seamless video wall like this. https://www.planar.com/products/led-video-walls/

KCNC uses one in my market. They're the best video walls available, in terms of continuity. While they're available in HD, they do go up to 4K... But there isn't a reason for a station to have a 4K video wall yet.

To blur it and have the light reflect off of it like a real window, they have added a Matte/Non Glare Acrylic Sheet. In combination, these look like real windows.

Also, it could be a low-grade projector with a translucent fabric that's defusing the light creating that blur. This seems to be more economical and create a similar, albeit, cheaper effect.

1 hour ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I can't tell you what brand it is, but it could be a seamless video wall like this. https://www.planar.com/products/led-video-walls/

KCNC uses one in my market. They're the best video walls available, in terms of continuity. While they're available in HD, they do go up to 4K... But there isn't a reason for a station to have a 4K video wall yet.

To blur it and have the light reflect off of it like a real window, they have added a Matte/Non Glare Acrylic Sheet. In combination, these look like real windows.

Also, it could be a low-grade projector with a translucent fabric that's defusing the light creating that blur. This seems to be more economical and create a similar, albeit, cheaper effect.

If it is a LED wall, what a shame. I would have much preferred them use a seamless wall for their main monitors instead of having a 9 unit array with lines. I assume seamless costs more....

Archived