WMAQ launches "Chicago Today" - a new lifestyle talk show

Spring Rubber

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/23/nbc-5-launch-new-lifestyle-show-chicago-today-sept-6/#more-22764

Starring Cortney Hall and Matthew Rodrigues, it debuts Sept. 6 and will air from 11:30am-12pm, cutting the 11am newscast in half.

It's interesting that the initial launch will only be on Fridays, with a planned expansion to 5 days a week later on. Do they want to test the waters before committing to it? Or maybe they don't have enough guests lined up right away?

I didn't know the market needed a Windy City Live competitor, but here we are.

I wonder how this will compare with CA Live (KNBC, KNSD, KNTV), 6 in the Mix (WTVJ), NY Live (WNBC), CT Live! (WVIT) and The Hub Today (WNBC produces for WBTS). Obviously it will be big pay to play but do you think they’ll be able to get the Chicago franchise stars as guests?

So far seems like WRC and KXAS have escaped the life style shows.

I am curious where this will be produced - in the already cramped WMAQ studio or if they are building space in one of the empty studios?

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

I wonder how this will compare with CA Live (KNBC, KNSD, KNTV), 6 in the Mix (WTVJ), NY Live (WNBC), CT Live! (WVIT) and The Hub Today (WNBC produces for WBTS). Obviously it will be big pay to play but do you think they’ll be able to get the Chicago franchise stars as guests?

So far seems like WRC and KXAS have escaped the life style shows.

I am curious where this will be produced - in the already cramped WMAQ studio or if they are building space in one of the empty studios?

WCAU was one of the first to have a lifestyle show, but cancelled it years ago. Wonder if they’ll get into the game, although it’ll seem like a waste to then have Rosemary anchoring a half hour a day.

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

99% chance they put a hightop table and stools in their interview area, and call it a day. No audience, no frills. They only have 2 weeks to throw this together.

4 hours ago, 24994J said:

99% chance they put a hightop table and stools in their interview area, and call it a day. No audience, no frills. They only have 2 weeks to throw this together.

Only two weeks, surely this has been in the works for a while. I am surprised at the lack of non compete clause for Cortney Hall or is there law prohibiting it in Chicago or Illinois?

7 hours ago, 24994J said:

Do they still have the old Steve Harvey studio? Or is some other show using that space?

8 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Only two weeks, surely this has been in the works for a while. I am surprised at the lack of non compete clause for Cortney Hall or is there law prohibiting it in Chicago or Illinois?

I believe there are no-competes, but case by case. Of course it's been in the works, but just comparing it to the other station's talk show products, I doubt this'll be a major production, with an audience and lavish set, at least for now. I haven't seen (nor looked hard, tbh) any audience calls, and Cortney Hall hasn't had much time in the building.

5 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

Do they still have the old Steve Harvey studio? Or is some other show using that space?

As constructed? I doubt it, and I don't think anyone else is using it, but I don't know.

7 hours ago, Spring Rubber said:

The only show that's currently in production at the Tower is 'Judge Mathis,' so there's space available. I believe the Steve Harvey space was dismantled and used last year for one of the Chicago mayoral debates. But that could have taken place somewhere else other than that studio. Since we're talking about a 30 min show, they can easily use the news desk and stand up area and call it a day. Cafe 5 (food segments) is in another part of the Tower as well, so no issue there.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, Spring Rubber said:

I didn't know the market needed a Windy City Live competitor, but here we are.

Given that none of the lifestyle shows produced in the market air against each other, adding another one to the list isn't that big a deal. Plus, the 9A hrs. of Good Day and WGN Morning News are heavy on lifestyle stuff and the like that there doesn't appear to be an issue of over-saturation.

On 8/24/2019 at 10:16 PM, TVNewsLover said:

WCAU was one of the first to have a lifestyle show, but cancelled it years ago. Wonder if they’ll get into the game, although it’ll seem like a waste to then have Rosemary anchoring a half hour a day.

Funny you mention - Philly Live is now a thing with a different host, but it will be a 15-minute segment at 11:45AM. WCAU just started running quick promos.

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

Funny you mention - Philly Live is now a thing with a different host, but it will be a 15-minute segment at 11:45AM. WCAU just started running quick promos.

And we have a winner for most transparent money grab.

32 minutes ago, 24994J said:

And we have a winner for most transparent money grab.

Maybe I’m still asleep but how is it most transparent? Is it because it’s only 15 minutes after a newscast?

9 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Maybe I’m still asleep but how is it most transparent? Is it because it’s only 15 minutes after a newscast?

I'm still half-asleep, too, so let's go with thinly-veiled, instead. How much is the Philly show going to be a service to the community more than it'll be an excuse to push the paid segments, without destroying the integrity of the newscast? 15 minutes isn't enough fir any cohesive show. This just teminds me of a bit something some of the ABC O&O's have tried. In Chicago, they call it 'Saturday Morning Extra', and it cuts off the last 5 minutes of that morning's newscast. It's nothing more than a 5 minute commercial for some product or company. It's lame, and doesn't fool anybody. Even a half hour format gives some room for other, more standard talk show bits that balance out the paid stuff.

All of the local lifestyle shows are pay for play, for the most part. Yes, they have the hello/chat bit, but the chef from the local restaurant or the owner of the local jewelry store aren’t just stopping by to say hello. The shows are pretty good money makers and it’s mostly of why they exist.

(I’m sure there are some examples to the contrary, but I’m talking about the majority.)

Archived