WJZ 7PM News?

Md_wx

Good catch.  I’m wondering if they are indicative of CBS wanting the EN at 6:30 and WJZ not wanting to give up revenue.

However it is also posted with the date 9/9/19 - the start of the new fall season - maybe they got a new show?

28 minutes ago, TVNewsLover said:

I believe WFOR does too.

34 minutes ago, SFTV said:

Is there other O&O’s in the group that have a 7pm news besides KPIX?

Yup. KPIX and WFOR.

KPIX’s rundown for 7pm is basically an update or refresher of the top story that they cover at 5 and 6 with headlines.

an “original report” around 7:15 that you don’t see at 5 or 6.

weather, sports and another top story “just home headlines.” refresher followed by break and a fluff story to end out at 7:27.

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Good catch.  I’m wondering if they are indicative of CBS wanting the EN at 6:30 and WJZ not wanting to give up revenue.

However it is also posted with the date 9/9/19 - the start of the new fall season - maybe they got a new show?

So one less hour newscast at 6. I've always found national news at 7 as a nice alternative to dumb game shows and gossip mags.

2 hours ago, Superdude said:

So one less hour newscast at 6. I've always found national news at 7 as a nice alternative to dumb game shows and gossip mags.

True, Besides Maury, Court Shows, everything else is eh.

It’s on my guide now, they moved Evening News to 6:30pm (I’m thinking it could be corporate - do any other CBS O&Os in the eastern time zone delay EN?) and they are making up the lost half hour of news at 7pm. 

22 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

It’s on my guide now, they moved Evening News to 6:30pm (I’m thinking it could be corporate - do any other CBS O&Os in the eastern time zone delay EN?) and they are making up the lost half hour of news at 7pm. 

KDKA delays it until 7pm as well. They have a full hour newscast at 6pm just like WJZ.

However I have not heard of any plans for KDKA to change that anytime soon.

11 minutes ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

However I have not heard of any plans for KDKA to change that anytime soon.

I certainly hope they don't change that. No one else in the Pittsburgh market has a 6:30 newscast.

On 8/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, Superdude said:

TBH I wish someone would try a full hour of national news at 7PM--it might go a long way to restoring the prestige these shows are just hanging on to.

That aside--guessing they're mandating the Evening News at 6.30 across the board to maximize the chances of Norah's success.

20 minutes ago, padrechuck said:

No one in the Pittsburgh market has a 7pm newscast except for I think PCNC which is WPXI’s cable outlet. 

WTAE airs a 7pm newscast on their Cozi TV subchannel. 

1 hour ago, TSSZNews said:

TBH I wish someone would try a full hour of national news at 7PM--it might go a long way to restoring the prestige these shows are just hanging on to.

That aside--guessing they're mandating the Evening News at 6.30 across the board to maximize the chances of Norah's success.

Back in the day and when I say back in the day. Late 70s/early 80s the networks were in talks of doing an hour-long network news.  However, affiliates stood strong and networks were hammering to push that.  However, back then when it was only (3) networks at that time it could of been the thing to do.  However, when you have 24/7 news; if those broadcast networks did that. They would need to pour more resources into doing international news instead of fluff pieces.  With NBC having MSNBC  & CBS with CBSN and not sure what ABC has a digital platform.  I don't see it, because these companies are just about the bottom-line.  What going to make them some money?

3 hours ago, tjt24 said:

I certainly hope they don't change that. No one else in the Pittsburgh market has a 6:30 newscast.

Pittsburgh viewers are creatures of habit.

The only way KDKA will change that is if CBS corporate forces them too. Like you said, their hour-long newscasts separates them from the competition there.

That said, if WJZ is doing it, something tells me someone in New York may have pushed that decision. 

The ratings for CBS Evening News are still soft. CBS probably feels the show could get a little nudge from airing at 6:30, when news numbers are traditionally higher.

WJZ doing news at 7:00 isn’t really a big gamble, since they know there were already news viewers in that time slot. They’ll just have to include national headlines for those people accustomed to national news then. And, as election season picks up, a 7:00 newscast will be almost guaranteed a full boat of political ads, meaning good money regardless of the numbers.

10 hours ago, Mrtraveler01 said:

Pittsburgh viewers are creatures of habit.

The only way KDKA will change that is if CBS corporate forces them too. Like you said, their hour-long newscasts separates them from the competition there.

Yeah they don't adapt to change real well, so if corporate does decide to make KDKA get rid of the 6:30 news, it won't go over well. Heck what happened to Jeff Verszyla didn't go over well here.

Archived