KTTV News director FIRED

Spintech33

Curious to see who they find to replace her. Kris Knutsen (Former KTTV ND) was previously Assistant ND at KTLA. I would have figured she knew their winning formula and could have used it to KTTVs advantage. She failed to do so. KTLA has been the 800lb gorilla for several years now. In order for KTTV to compete against KTLA/KABC, they need to bring in a news director that knows the market and they also need to shake up GDLA. There are 121 people hosting each morning and the anchor lineups on that show make zero sense.

12 hours ago, Spintech33 said:

According to multiple sources and this FTV post. The LA news director at KTTV (Fox 11 LA) has been stripped of her duties as ND.

Article: https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2019/8/20/la-news-director-sacked

Source: FTV Live.

According to FTVLive, after the ND Kris Knutsen fired GDLA anchor Steve Edwards after allegations of sexual harassment against him,  KTTV never recovered. From what it looked like KTTV dug itself into a hole it couldn't get out of. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 7:52 PM, NYTV said:

According to FTVLive, after the ND Kris Knutsen fired GDLA anchor Steve Edwards after allegations of sexual harassment against him,  KTTV never recovered. From what it looked like KTTV dug itself into a hole it couldn't get out of. 

KTTV was struggling years before that happened. It probably didn’t help, but it certainly wasn’t the catalyst.

55 minutes ago, CalItalian2 said:

Problem is football ENDS at 5 PM for Fox stations on the west coast. That makes ZERO sense.

Don't 11 do a post-football sports show (Fox 11 Sports Zone) after football, followed by their 5pm Weekend News (when its not pre-empted)?

16 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Don't 11 do a post-football sports show (Fox 11 Sports Zone) after football, followed by their 5pm Weekend News (when its not pre-empted)?

Yes. Scheduled for 4 PM for an hour. If the game runs until 5 or close, the sports show still airs for an hour and cuts into the 5 pm news down to pre-empting it. 

I don't see how this is going to help Fox 11's news ratings either at 5 pm or 10 PM on Sunday. Most anyone watching football switches over to NBC at 5 PM. Even the NFL game on NBC normally ends around 8:30 PM when Fred Roggin's The Challenge airs followed by NBC 4 News at 9 pm (for an hour). 

I think the shift to a Sunday-Thursday rotation is more about higher viewing levels in general than getting higher ratings. Friday and Saturday nights are the lowest rated nights. So why put your main anchors on Fridays when tv viewership is overall lower. 

13 hours ago, fan of la tv said:

I think the shift to a Sunday-Thursday rotation is more about higher viewing levels in general than getting higher ratings. Friday and Saturday nights are the lowest rated nights. So why put your main anchors on Fridays when tv viewership is overall lower. 

I didn't realize it was a thing to put main anchors on Sundays until I saw KPTV start doing it a few years ago. It's not the entire team, but it's a weekday anchor paired with weekend anchor plus their main meteorologist. I think it probably a smart idea if more people watch on Sundays than Fridays. I wonder how the talent feel about it though?? Because aside from the talent, it's not like the rest of the newsroom is staffed up to weekday-like levels.

8 minutes ago, PTVNews said:

I didn't realize it was a thing to put main anchors on Sundays until I saw KPTV start doing it a few years ago.

Some of the earliest FOX branded local newscast did this in 1990 including KCBA in Salinas /Monterey.

It's kinda funny because the 'weekend crew' who anchored (Fri/Sat) and did weather was Alex Witt and some unknown wx bunny named Kathy Sabin.

3 hours ago, PTVNews said:

I didn't realize it was a thing to put main anchors on Sundays until I saw KPTV start doing it a few years ago. It's not the entire team, but it's a weekday anchor paired with weekend anchor plus their main meteorologist. I think it probably a smart idea if more people watch on Sundays than Fridays. I wonder how the talent feel about it though?? Because aside from the talent, it's not like the rest of the newsroom is staffed up to weekday-like levels.

One of our EPs slides over to Sunday-Thursday as well, though otherwise it’s pretty much the same as Saturday. If you ever look at the numbers, football or not, Sunday night ratings are huge, so I think it makes a lot of sense. The only challenges I see are that the talent request Sundays off more than any other days, so the Friday/Saturday anchors who are relatively unknown fill in a lot. Also, if you’ve ever worked weekends, you’ll know that Sundays are by far the lightest days of the week as far as content goes.

4 hours ago, PTVNews said:

In some places - at least the places that do this and do it right - the BTS staffing is also mostly synced to Sun-Thu--at least when it comes to the important players (EPs, etc.)

This "idea" has already been done in Los Angeles. It has failed everytime. NBC 4 did it, CBS 2 did it - both briefly during past sweeps periods. Fox 11, itself, has done it before. And they have run their Friday newscast for 20 years as just a half hour newscast at 10 pm as to break it out from the M-F ratings total. 

Fox 11 isn't in need of an adjustment in the days its anchors are on air, it's in need of a total top to bottom overhaul including their (lack of) "talent" that speaks to us in SoCal (Christine Devine being their only exception). Fox 11 still hasn't addressed or recovered from their pathetic breaking news failures last fall when they were the last media outlet to report on the mass shooting in Thousand Oaks and (unrelated) fires that occurred days after.

4 minutes ago, Mastaclocksetta said:

Have they already hired a new ND? I ask because I noticed tonight that they’ve dropped the time and temperature bug from their 10:00 PM news. Does the ND make that decision or, if not, who does?

I remember them doing that practice a couple of years back.

On 9/21/2019 at 11:19 PM, fan of la tv said:

Down here in San Diego, XETV did this when they restarted their newscast back at the beginning of the new millennium. KGTV also did this for a couple years during sweeps periods when people actually tuned in for ABC Sunday primetime programming consisting of ratings juggernauts Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives, and Grey's Anatomy.

• 1 month later...

Archived