2019 NFL Season

Georgie56

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Not graphics and not news, but in a first, 'The Tonight Show' will air on 5 Sunday nights following SNF this fall. Whether or not they'll be taped same-day is unclear, though it could go either way. (September 8, October 6, 20 & 27, and December 1)

what happens to sports recap shows many stations have after the Sunday night news?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Samantha said:

What an underwhelming look for the Packers. The rest of the package is so good but that scoreboard needs to go back in the oven.

It looked so good on Friday, but looking at the scorebar in action that's just so meh and needing of some more flourishes

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

This doesn't look like it came from WTMJ's art department (who is usually the one that handles the preseason graphics), unless they FINALLY broke free of the "everything is shiny all the time" rut that they've been stuck in for the past decade plus.

Judging from the endcard of 'Packers Studios', it looks like the team took control of the design and production overall (was at the game tonight and the virtual yardlines were on the stadium screen broadcast, but not the TV broadcast?).

The primary problem with the scoreboard is the scaling and placement of elements. Team labels (HOU, GB) are too small for their text boxes; the whole thing is off center; and that Spectrum Mobile ad is too darn big.

1 hour ago, ehatt493 said:

Please continue to hold your shock as you find out that the Bengals spared every expense and are trotting out the same look as usual. This is a broadcast that doesn't even have down lines on the screen.

vlcsnap-2019-08-10-20h08m04s911.png

WKRC I take it?

The scorebox looks a lot like the ones used in Sinclair's Friday Night Rivals high school game coverage...

image.png.13b39565e7a28299c18deb1fc67fe3ec.png

20 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WKRC I take it?

The scorebox looks a lot like the ones used in Sinclair's Friday Night Rivals high school game coverage...

image.png.13b39565e7a28299c18deb1fc67fe3ec.png

The coverage is originating from WKRC but, I'm not sure if they're producing it or if the team is.

It's amazing how much that early 2010s ESPN look has hung on. That's the root of that Bengals look @tyrannical bastard. WKRC is again the key station.

It's long in the tooth, too. Aside from some changes in type, they have looked mostly similar since 2014 and I can't find any further years back:

I think a good idea of "graphics uncoupled from production" is given when you look at the Chiefs. They handle production through 65TPT, which is their media arm, but given that KCTV is the key station, they use CBS Sports graphics:

I also think the whole idea of "graphics uncoupled from production" is evident on certain MLB telecasts. Eagle-eyed type snobs and MLB.tv subscribers an catch some strike zones using typefaces from other packages. NBC Sports Bay Area/California's strike zone will show pitch speeds in Antenna (the last-gen Fox pack). Sportsnet Canada? Benton Sans (the current Fox pack).

Meanwhile, San Francisco is unchanged:

We also got to see one more today...

Oakland (NBC Sports college, unchanged):

Also, I guess the Seahawks graphics are in their second year, not their first.

3 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Fox scoreboard with what looks like NBC styled inset graphics.

I wouldn't say NBC-styled. It's basically the current Fox scoreboard with the 2014-2017 Fox inset graphics, but it looks to be more like the Super Bowl LI variant with all of the borders removed/made transparent.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:54 AM, Samantha said:

I also think the whole idea of "graphics uncoupled from production" is evident on certain MLB telecasts. Eagle-eyed type snobs and MLB.tv subscribers an catch some strike zones using typefaces from other packages. NBC Sports Bay Area/California's strike zone will show pitch speeds in Antenna (the last-gen Fox pack). Sportsnet Canada? Benton Sans (the current Fox pack).

I think that's most likely a StatCast thing more than anything else. It appears that most of StatCast's on-air graphics are built around the current FOX package. NBC Sports Philadelphia uses Antenna for the on screen strike zone and whenever they go to StatCast for anything, the graphics used are from the current FOX look and Benton Sans is the font. Given MLB's relationship with FOX and (for now) the amount of teams broadcast on FOX Regionals, it makes sense.

3 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

I think that's most likely a StatCast thing more than anything else. It appears that most of StatCast's on-air graphics are built around the current FOX package. NBC Sports Philadelphia uses Antenna for the on screen strike zone and whenever they go to StatCast for anything, the graphics used are from the current FOX look and Benton Sans is the font. Given MLB's relationship with FOX and (for now) the amount of teams broadcast on FOX Regionals, it makes sense.

I know up until this year, affiliates were given the ability to skin the StatCast graphics with their own look. Is that no longer an option?

7 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

I know up until this year, affiliates were given the ability to skin the StatCast graphics with their own look. Is that no longer an option?

The Statcast graphics are not being skinned anywhere except for some of the strike zone ones. They are close to the Fox look but aren't — they use a more condensed sans serif.

8 minutes ago, Spring Rubber said:

It doesn't appear to be. NBC Sports Philadelphia skinned them last year with the NBC look. ESPN still does but I would suspect that since they're a national partner, they get more latitude.

2 minutes ago, Samantha said:

The Statcast graphics are not being skinned anywhere except for some of the strike zone ones. They are close to the Fox look but aren't — they use a more condensed sans serif.

You're right. The graphical elements themselves are from the FOX package but I think the font might be from Amazon's collection of typefaces which wouldn't be a surprise there as AWS underpins StatCast.

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Thought that slimmed-down scorebug ESPN debuted in the wild card game last season would carry over into the pre/regular season? Think again.

As I understand it, the only reason for the slimmed down score bug was because the game was simulcast on ABC, and they wanted to shrink it down in case any affiliates were showing the game in SD 4:3.

Archived