TV News Traffic Reporters

FiveNews

29 minutes ago, kdex86 said:

While we're on the topic of traffic anchors on TV stations, why aren't there any traffic anchors on the weekend AM news?  Seems kinda weird to me to have weather but not traffic on Sat/Sun mornings...

I live west of Chicago, a 24 mile drive that takes at least an hour on a weekday morning. I drove downtown on Sunday, and arrived in just under 20 minutes. That's why.

That said, 2 Chicago stations have traffic reports/reporters on weekends, so they do exist, but are largely unnecessary. If some major accident happens, the anchor(s) should be wholly capable of reporting it.

1 hour ago, kdex86 said:

While we're on the topic of traffic anchors on TV stations, why aren't there any traffic anchors on the weekend AM news?  Seems kinda weird to me to have weather but not traffic on Sat/Sun mornings...

WFAA typically has Lauren Nevitt or Marlene Hilton for traffic reports on Daybreak Saturday, but not on Sundays.

Besides them, nobody else in DFW does any traffic on weekends.

2 hours ago, kdex86 said:

As others have mentioned, weekends rarely have traffic issues because there's no rush hour. In Houston, I believe they play recorded traffic updates from the weekday-AM traffic reporter if there are expected closures or construction but that's about it. LA doesn't have weekend traffic reports either.

What's more interesting to me is how many stations offer traffic reports during the afternoon shows. KTRK in Houston has had an on and off traffic reporter for the 4 and 5 pm news since 2003/2004 but I'm not sure if that's still a thing.

Is demand for travel into a major city like Boston, New York, LA, DC *THAT* much less on a Saturday or Sunday morning?  I used to work at a supermarket in Mansfield, MA where many of the full-time workers lived in RI.  They regularly worked on Saturdays and Sundays (and therefore, had a "commute" those two days) but had two days off during the week.

KPIX would tape a traffic report for weekend hotspots to watch out for on events, sports, construction and upload it onto their Facebook, Instagram and on air if necessary. 

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, kdex86 said:

I don't think it's necessary to have traffic anchors during weekend AM news. This is why you have AM radio to provide traffic coverage.  I know at least in NYC. Major news casts would provide a "commuter alert".

Archived