KGPE New Set

MonkeyFighter

That is quite a set for DMA 54. It certainly helps that costs are going down on things like lighting and monitors.

Also, maybe @Weeters could provide some insight how common is it for stations to cover their old painted and sealed concrete floors for heavy duty floor tiles? I’ve noticed things like wood flooring have gone in sets lately and vinyl adhesive on the floors.  As an aside I learned from a designer that robotic cameras are apparently fine with vinyl floors but women’s shows apparently rip it. 

I think that logo works a bit better with that set of Nexstar graphics vs. the standard CBS package. We've started to see some really awkward logos resolve in with that look.

On the set side, especially given what looks like a pretty compact area to work with, that's probably the best job I've seen Nexstar do with a set.

The more I look at KGPE's new set, the more I have reason to believe that this was an outsourced job that was done by FX. It looks very similar to the sets that were built for WKRN and WNCN by the same company.

Usually, Nexstar does most of their set designs and builds in-house, but there have been a few exceptions.

7 hours ago, rkolsen said:

That is quite a set for DMA 54. It certainly helps that costs are going down on things like lighting and monitors.

Also, maybe @Weeters could provide some insight how common is it for stations to cover their old painted and sealed concrete floors for heavy duty floor tiles? I’ve noticed things like wood flooring have gone in sets lately and vinyl adhesive on the floors.  As an aside I learned from a designer that robotic cameras are apparently fine with vinyl floors but women’s shows apparently rip it. 

This floor looks like it might be epoxy. I don't see any seams in it, and it's a little too shiny to be a vinyl tile. The install process for epoxy flooring is kinda complicated but it doesn't damage as easily as tiles, though that shine will wear off after a while. As far as tiles go, If a station has the money, they usually purchase tiles specially designed for studio use, like these.

Wood on sets seems to differ from set to set. I've seen some sets where it's just a thin printed vinyl overlay, so the transition between surfaces is seamless for cameras to go over (a lot of sets with crazy designs on the floor have the design either painted on or stuck on.) Others it's more standard vinyl laminate (like you'd install in kitchens). Some have flooring installed through the whole studio. Devlin does a lot of this, and looking at their site, KTVU seems to use the "big sticker" method (note the seamless transition and flat look of the wood) while The Hill has a surface that spans the whole studio. I can't find any good photos that show it, but the WBBM and KOVR versions of the CBS O&O set both have areas where vinyl flooring laminate is laid over the studio floor, with a seam cover over the transition, because the cameras will never need to be in the area that it's installed.

42 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The graphics and set look amazing, and absolutely blows the local ABC O&O competitor out of the water, on both fronts, which is a rare feat.

That said, Mickey isn't sweating Nexstar making its upgrades to KGPE/KSEE since KFSN still wins timeslots. Remember, KFSN has been dominant for the last several decades and at least has the backing of the Mouse behind it.

11 hours ago, Weeters said:

This floor looks like it might be epoxy. I don't see any seams in it, and it's a little too shiny to be a vinyl tile. The install process for epoxy flooring is kinda complicated but it doesn't damage as easily as tiles, though that shine will wear off after a while. As far as tiles go, If a station has the money, they usually purchase tiles specially designed for studio use, like these.

I only mentioned tiles because they put it down first and then applied several coats of wax.

You can see the tiles more clearly here:

D7F38D94-40BB-4952-9691-A991B155EED3.thumb.jpeg.f47e5e4a9bbe4e5ab14137beec2b23e1.jpeg

3 hours ago, NEOMatrix said:

That said, Mickey isn't sweating Nexstar making its upgrades to KGPE/KSEE since KFSN still wins timeslots. Remember, KFSN has been dominant for the last several decades and at least has the backing of the Mouse behind it.

If KGPE can step up its coverage game to match the new on-air presentation, they might have built a better Mouse trap -- unless KFSN has a set change in the works.

I think based on the graphics alone, KGPE has broken the mandate mold of each station HAS to have the package that corresponds with their affiliation

For instance, if WJBF ever gets a new look I am for certain they will probably use the CBS version minus the eye element just because it goes better with their logo. It's exciting to see and makes me wonder what other stations will use.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:09 PM, Darius22 said:

It looks great......but why are they using ABC graphics? 

There's nothing "ABC" about the graphics other than Nexstar arbitrarily deciding that's what their ABC affiliates get. Personally I've always thought it was dumb to divide the packages by affiliation. The CBS and ABC gfx don't really have any noticeable elements that correspond to affiliation...and the NBC, just barely.

Archived