Jump to content

Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
bmasters1

Best news titles (one at a time)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

What, in your opinion, is one of the best titles that a newscast/news franchise has had, and why? (One at a time; I realize that lists are frowned on here)

 

One, in my opinion, is News 4 LA on KNBC (Channel 4, NBC O&O of the City of Angels) from 1982-85. Why is this one of my favorites? Two reasons. One, it's because it's, like WNBC of NYC, exactly what it says on the tin-- news for (4) L.A.

 

Two, it had multiple edition titles for different parts of the day (I'd put those down, but that kind of list might be frowned on here too), unlike News 4 New York, where the title was static no matter the day (outside of Today in New York and Live at Five).

 

That said, it's a crying shame (IMO) that News 4 LA didn't last near as long in the City of Angels as News 4 New York has in the Big Apple; I think seriously that KNBC would do better to become like its sister of the Big Apple and go back to News 4 LA.

 

Here's one of KNBC's edition titles with the News 4 LA banner, News 4 LANightside (on-screen as LANightside) from 1984 (late edition):

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcDSzM8W8dc

Edited by bmasters1
embedding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 

6 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

 

One, in my opinion, is News 4 LA on KNBC (Channel 4, NBC O&O of the City of Angels) from 1982-85. Why is this one of my favorites? Two reasons. One, it's because it's, like WNBC of NYC, exactly what it says on the tin-- news for (4) L.A.....

 

 

I have to agree that was one of the best branding efforts at KNBC.

 

Here is a promotional pin that was issued at the time of all the 1984 Olympics hype.

I don't think KNBC was actually flying any airships at the time because the 1976 Telecopter crash was still a fresh memory at NBC Burbank.

news4lapin.jpg.c187b7cd8b9aa2904c263e0b0525083e.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Eat News
ITZY "IT'Z ICY" MV .. https://youtu.be/zndvqTc4P9I
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who lives in Southern California (the Inland Empire to be exact) I am glad KNBC went away from the News4LA branding. The name implies news only for LA. The LA DMA is made up 5 counties and to limit the branding to LA would seem to alienate the other 4. The News4 and News4 New York branding are almost legendary/iconic in the New York DMA. I would compare it to KNBCs former "Channel 4 News" branding. When KNBC walked away from Channel 4 News to NBC 4 News, I was shocked, because that name was synonymous with KNBC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FiveNews said:

As someone who lives in Southern California (the Inland Empire to be exact) I am glad KNBC went away from the News4LA branding. The name implies news only for LA. The LA DMA is made up 5 counties and to limit the branding to LA would seem to alienate the other 4. The News4 and News4 New York branding are almost legendary/iconic in the New York DMA. I would compare it to KNBCs former "Channel 4 News" branding. When KNBC walked away from Channel 4 News to NBC 4 News, I was shocked, because that name was synonymous with KNBC

True. But the same could easily be said for News 4 New York. A big chunk of that market is neither in New York City, or New York State.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, TheOneManHerd said:

True. But the same could easily be said for News 4 New York. A big chunk of that market is neither in New York City, or New York State.

 

Very true-- here's a shot of that title from 1984, where Connecticut is listed as one of the covered areas; how is Connecticut part of the Big Apple and environs? I thought that one was in New England.

 

Another one of my favorites is that of WPVI 6ABC in Philly, Action News (IINM, that is where that one originated). I know this one is a popular one, and I think it's not only because of the shorter story packages (among other pluses), but also because of the theme music ("Move Closer To Your World," which has been rock-solid in the City of Brotherly Love for ages). Not only that, but one James Goldman from NYC (BKA Jim Gardner) made his name here, and he'll always be remembered here.

 

Attached also is a shot of that title from 1987.

n4nytitleconnecticut.jpg

wpviactionnews1987.jpg

Edited by bmasters1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

 

Very true-- here's a shot of that title from 1984, where Connecticut is listed as one of the covered areas; how is Connecticut part of the Big Apple and environs? I thought that one was in New England.

 

Another one of my favorites is that of WPVI 6ABC in Philly, Action News (IINM, that is where that one originated). I know this one is a popular one, and I think it's not only because of the shorter story packages (among other pluses), but also because of the theme music ("Move Closer To Your World," which has been rock-solid in the City of Brotherly Love for ages). Not only that, but one James Goldman from NYC (BKA Jim Gardner) made his name here, and he'll always be remembered here.

 

Attached also is a shot of that title from 1987.

n4nytitleconnecticut.jpg

wpviactionnews1987.jpg

The southwestern-most portion of Connecticut is in the NYC TV market.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheOneManHerd said:

The southwestern-most portion of Connecticut is in the NYC TV market.

At the time that open aired it was still part of the Connecticut market.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this discussion, all I can think of is CW (former UPN and WB) and FOX affiliates that used Network Number Eyewitness News or Action News.

 

For the Eyewitness News format in Memphis: WHBQ called themselves FOX13 Eyewitness News; WPTY was ABC 24 Eyewitness News, and WLMT was CW 30 Eyewitness News (before that, it was UPN 30 Eyewitness News). Another FOX affiliate was WAGA Atlanta calling themselves FOX 5 Eyewitness News. Another CW affiliate is WTVW Evansville, IN calling themselves CW 7 Eyewitness News. 

 

And now for the Action News format. KMAX in Sacramento called themselves UPN 31 Action News. WALA in Mobile/Pensacola called themselves FOX 10 Action News.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Eat News said:

I have to agree that was one of the best branding efforts at KNBC.

 

Here is a promotional pin that was issued at the time of all the 1984 Olympics hype.

I don't think KNBC was actually flying any airships at the time because the 1976 Telecopter crash was still a fresh memory at NBC Burbank.

news4lapin.jpg.c187b7cd8b9aa2904c263e0b0525083e.jpg

 

 

 

 

Are you sure that belongs to KNBC? Because I think I see a Circle 7 on the right side of that.

 

 

Edited by kfc513
I don't mean to get off topic, but I just felt the need to point that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 9:05 PM, kfc513 said:

 

Are you sure that belongs to KNBC? Because I think I see a Circle 7 on the right side of that.

 

 

 

100 percent KNBC...

You are just seeing a strange reflection in the tail rotor/fan.

Edited by Eat News
Red Velvet (Umpah Umpah) .. https://youtu.be/vHS9E6JFja8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TheOneManHerd said:

The southwestern-most portion of Connecticut is in the NYC TV market.

 

That being Fairfield County, home to Stamford and NBC Sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

For this discussion, all I can think of is CW (former UPN and WB) and FOX affiliates that used Network Number Eyewitness News or Action News.

 

For the Eyewitness News format in Memphis: WHBQ called themselves FOX13 Eyewitness News; WPTY was ABC 24 Eyewitness News, and WLMT was CW 30 Eyewitness News (before that, it was UPN 30 Eyewitness News). Another FOX affiliate was WAGA Atlanta calling themselves FOX 5 Eyewitness News. Another CW affiliate is WTVW Evansville, IN calling themselves CW 7 Eyewitness News. 

 

And now for the Action News format. KMAX in Sacramento called themselves UPN 31 Action News. WALA in Mobile/Pensacola called themselves FOX 10 Action News.

 

That was a genuine rarity-- thanks for bringing that up! No FOX or CW station (to my knowledge) uses such names now, and so it was amazing for the time that those stations in those areas called themselves Eyewitness and Action.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey this is starting to seem like a list thread,  please discuss the titles rather than just listing random ones. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

Hey this is starting to seem like a list thread,  please discuss the titles rather than just listing random ones. 

 

If it is, it's not because I desired for it to be. I don't know how it started becoming a list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bmasters1 said:

 

If it is, it's not because I desired for it to be. I don't know how it started becoming a list.

The thread is titled “Best news titles (one at a time) meaning you only want one per post.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything Eyewitness News, especially when said by Ernie Anderson (EYE-WITNESS NEWS!)

That, coupled with a good Gari theme, and a 1980s tvBd package, is newscast gold.

(WEWS 1987 is a good example, and WPLG takes the cake for voiceover)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My favorite news title is when KOMO went by "KOMO News 4" and this logo was by far their best.

The graphics (especially the animation of how the "4" swept across the screen) were top notch for their day and still upsets me that this was a short-lived package.

 

2254777066_b4ae7d3266_o.jpg

Edited by srosenow_98
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not, I thought “Georgia’s News at Ten” was clever, seeing as it tied into WGNX’s (now WGCL) call letters, which were established well before their news operation started.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using TVNewsTalk you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.