NBC News Moving Network Bureau to 400 N. Capitol Street NW

rkolsen

According to the Politico Playbook PM NBC is moving all of their 350 employees based at 4001 Nebraska Avenue to their Capitol Hill Bureau, which suffered a fire earlier this year.  They plan on taking over five floors, building new studios and a floor to ceiling glass studio on the first floor for Meet The Press.  The deadline Super Tuesday, March 3 2020.  I was wondering why it’s taken them a while to rebuild the main and insert studios after the fire and we now know the reason.  I’ve also noticed other employees moving out of their offices in other parts of the building.

Heres the full post from Politico:

PEACOCK NEWS ... ANDY LACK, the chairman of NBC News, used a town hall at 30 Rock today to preview the network's move from the Nebraska Avenue studios to 400 North Capitol, just blocks from the Capitol. 

This move has been long buzzed about in D.C. and New York. As Playbook reported in April 2017, NBC has taken over the old Johnny's Half Shell space, and plans to make it a street-level studio with floor-to-ceiling windows with a view of the Capitol.

NBC is moving 350 D.C.-based employees to the new bureau in time for Super Tuesday 2020 -- March 3. "Meet the Press" and all of MSNBC's shows are moving to 400 North Cap. NBC will have space on five floors in the building. “Moving from NBC News’ historic Nebraska Avenue location to North Capitol allows us to brand ourselves in Washington in ways we’ve never done before,” Lack said.

This will further allow them to renovate (or rebuild) the Nebraska Avenue  building for WRC and WZDC which is already cramped for studio space.  If you recall WZDC’s spot is in former prop closet. 

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, NumberOne said:

Is there any update on this? Haven’t seen anything to suggest a Super Tuesday debut is imminent.

My guess is no updates. Or at least none regarding Super Tuesday coverage from Washington DC. Chuck Todd hosted Meet the Press from studio 6A in NYC today and called it the “Election Headquarters.” 

80BB263A-E091-42C8-A722-E5BFE119E87C.png

34B1CEDD-0749-4311-8CDE-2B53D3FA3471.png

5DE45247-1A09-495E-BD87-6D7558173AC3.jpeg

78F8C16C-D324-4FB1-BBD2-CEF267B0FBAD.jpeg

BB8FA27F-20CB-4D58-A3B4-2357FA353BB8.png

On 2/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, NumberOne said:

Is there any update on this? Haven’t seen anything to suggest a Super Tuesday debut is imminent.

Not happening any time soon, from what I have heard. Maybe by November. They have run into a ton of problems with getting the new studio ready. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the opportunity to pass the new street side facility and peek through a few cracks in the paper covering the windows. It appears the street side space will be a combination of studio and newsroom. Almost a horseshoe type set up. The aesthetic of the space appears to be similar to take of the nearby Union Station for those of you who maybe familiar. 

BF671D04-D5AE-41B4-B467-55025AFAD16D.jpeg

2 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

I just had the opportunity to pass the new street side facility and peek through a few cracks in the paper covering the windows. It appears the street side space will be a combination of studio and newsroom. Almost a horseshoe type set up. The aesthetic of the space appears to be similar to take of the nearby Union Station for those of you who maybe familiar. 

BF671D04-D5AE-41B4-B467-55025AFAD16D.jpeg

How close does it look to launch?

On 3/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, jbnews said:

How close does it look to launch?

There were desk and chairs still covered in plastic, but not much else to report. It was hard to see in to the space where I assume the studio will be. All the windows are fully covered except a window in a flowerbed that I wadded through to grab a sneak peak. 

• 2 months later...

I imagine work has been delayed and perhaps they are rethinking the streetside studio idea. With the frequent protests turning violent I could see them either replacing what they have with a stronger type of glass * or additional security measures such as more fencing around the studio or additional layers of glass.

* Perhaps hurricane proof - I’ve seen residential glass get battered by tree limbs and other projectiles at 70+ MPH without issue. I don’t think any person could generate enough force that strong.  But I’d also keep bullet proof as well. 

It wouldn’t  surprise me if they no incorporate rolling shutters like you see on storefronts rather than having to board up each time there’s a protest or unrest. I could see them somehow retrofitted to Studio 1A as well. I know they have two layers of glass and the outermost layer you may not be able to put shutters but maybe on the inside you could between the panels.

• 4 months later...

I have updates on the space before it launches (which I assume to be two weeks from today). As reported, NBC has five floors is the building with a newsroom and small studio on the street level, both of which can easily be seen from the street.

The pictures attached (or below) show the view through the windows. I recognize they aren't all the high quality (except the one from NewscastStudio). To familiarize yourself with the space, it is on a street corner. When looking down the rows of chairs/desks with the tvs at the end, the studio will be behind you. 

In the studio, you'll see the US Capital, but that is a video wall. However, the window I took that photo through, has an actual view of the Capital building. 

There's also two shots of an adjacent conference room.

image.png

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

6 minutes ago, rkolsen said:

From two people I’ve heard they’re going to wait until after Elections for MTP.  

Doesn't surprise me! I wonder if they'll come from this studio or one of the ones higher up in the building.

I have been working my sources about what to expect on Election Night and what to expect leading up to it. Have you heard anything about what we can expect that night? Location/city/studio? 

20 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

These photos are of what will be the Meet the Press studio. Yes, it's painted in a hideous blue color, same one as the "metro station" ceiling paneling in the newsroom. Just wait to see it with the lights on... The entire thing looks like a rejected soap opera set from the 50's.

There are additional studios (at least one, but I hear there are more?) on the upper floors. The replacement one for the one that had the fire is much more "traditional" for a NBC News set (your standard Clickspring design) and should be popular on here once it debuts. THAT one may debut by Election Night.

3 minutes ago, Weeters said:

These photos are of what will be the Meet the Press studio. Yes, it's painted in a hideous blue color, same one as the "metro station" ceiling paneling in the newsroom. Just wait to see it with the lights on... The entire thing looks like a rejected soap opera set from the 50's.

There are additional studios (at least one, but I hear there are more?) on the upper floors. The replacement one for the one that had the fire is much more "traditional" for a NBC News set (your standard Clickspring design) and should be popular on here once it debuts. THAT one may debut by Election Night.

Any photos of any of these spaces you can share? Or know where I could find some? Would love a preview. 

The blue is quite awful! I don't mind it on the newsroom ceiling but it is too much in the studio

1 hour ago, Weeters said:

Yes, it's painted in a hideous blue color, same one as the "metro station" ceiling paneling in the newsroom.

I have a video of the ceiling of the newsroom changing. The ceilings white but changes color by recessed LEDs. 

I have a feeling they will debut the new set the week of Inauguration day on MTP Sunday before but use the upstairs studio for the actual broadcast. I bet they will keep the election night broadcast in NY like they have done for decades. Only difference Chuck &/or Andrea will be remote from DC. 

The new NBC Washington newsroom flash cam view debuted yesterday afternoon on MSNBC. This space is on the seventh floor of the new bureau, not the newsroom that can be seen from the street level.

I have attached both the old and new newsrooms for comparison. The old newsroom is the darker of the two.

UPDATE: NewscastNews Studio has an article out about the space now.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 1.15.51 PM.png

ElRyVjoW0AAboUO.jpeg

Me again...so sorry! I had the opportunity to go by the space again tonight and even spoke with two engineers for the network. There are studios on at least three different floors of the building - first, seventh, and eighth. 

The streetside studio space and adjoining newsroom space will be primarily dedicated to MTP. However there is a spot of the studio that directly overlooks the newsroom that might be used for MSNBC dayside according to the people I spoke with. They are hoping to move into the studio after the election - sometime late November into January. 

The spaces (at least on the groundfloor) were built by Blackwalnut and lighted by The Lighting Design Group.  Meanwhile, Meridian Deisgn Associates were responsible for the 7th and 8th floor spaces. 

NBC-News-DC_LF_01.jpg

NBC-News-DC_PG_08.jpg

nbc-news-bureau.jpg

Archived