Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.
rkolsen

NBC News Moving Network Bureau to 400 N. Capitol Street NW

According to the Politico Playbook PM NBC is moving all of their 350 employees based at 4001 Nebraska Avenue to their Capitol Hill Bureau, which suffered a fire earlier this year.  They plan on taking over five floors, building new studios and a floor to ceiling glass studio on the first floor for Meet The Press.  The deadline Super Tuesday, March 3 2020.  I was wondering why it’s taken them a while to rebuild the main and insert studios after the fire and we now know the reason.  I’ve also noticed other employees moving out of their offices in other parts of the building.

Heres the full post from Politico:

PEACOCK NEWS ... ANDY LACK, the chairman of NBC News, used a town hall at 30 Rock today to preview the network's move from the Nebraska Avenue studios to 400 North Capitol, just blocks from the Capitol. 

This move has been long buzzed about in D.C. and New York. As Playbook reported in April 2017, NBC has taken over the old Johnny's Half Shell space, and plans to make it a street-level studio with floor-to-ceiling windows with a view of the Capitol.

NBC is moving 350 D.C.-based employees to the new bureau in time for Super Tuesday 2020 -- March 3. "Meet the Press" and all of MSNBC's shows are moving to 400 North Cap. NBC will have space on five floors in the building. “Moving from NBC News’ historic Nebraska Avenue location to North Capitol allows us to brand ourselves in Washington in ways we’ve never done before,” Lack said.

This will further allow them to renovate (or rebuild) the Nebraska Avenue  building for WRC and WZDC which is already cramped for studio space.  If you recall WZDC’s spot is in former prop closet. 

Edited by rkolsen
  • Like 3

On 2/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, NumberOne said:

Is there any update on this? Haven’t seen anything to suggest a Super Tuesday debut is imminent.

My guess is no updates. Or at least none regarding Super Tuesday coverage from Washington DC. Chuck Todd hosted Meet the Press from studio 6A in NYC today and called it the “Election Headquarters.” 

80BB263A-E091-42C8-A722-E5BFE119E87C.png

34B1CEDD-0749-4311-8CDE-2B53D3FA3471.png

5DE45247-1A09-495E-BD87-6D7558173AC3.jpeg

78F8C16C-D324-4FB1-BBD2-CEF267B0FBAD.jpeg

BB8FA27F-20CB-4D58-A3B4-2357FA353BB8.png

On 2/28/2020 at 7:40 AM, NumberOne said:

Is there any update on this? Haven’t seen anything to suggest a Super Tuesday debut is imminent.

Not happening any time soon, from what I have heard. Maybe by November. They have run into a ton of problems with getting the new studio ready. 

I just had the opportunity to pass the new street side facility and peek through a few cracks in the paper covering the windows. It appears the street side space will be a combination of studio and newsroom. Almost a horseshoe type set up. The aesthetic of the space appears to be similar to take of the nearby Union Station for those of you who maybe familiar. 

BF671D04-D5AE-41B4-B467-55025AFAD16D.jpeg

2 hours ago, freelanceproducer said:

I just had the opportunity to pass the new street side facility and peek through a few cracks in the paper covering the windows. It appears the street side space will be a combination of studio and newsroom. Almost a horseshoe type set up. The aesthetic of the space appears to be similar to take of the nearby Union Station for those of you who maybe familiar. 

BF671D04-D5AE-41B4-B467-55025AFAD16D.jpeg

How close does it look to launch?

On 3/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, jbnews said:

How close does it look to launch?

There were desk and chairs still covered in plastic, but not much else to report. It was hard to see in to the space where I assume the studio will be. All the windows are fully covered except a window in a flowerbed that I wadded through to grab a sneak peak. 

Sorry to bump this thread... Any updates as to when NBC is planning on occupying the new space? I can imagine that COVID has thrown a wrench in their original plans... 

Posted (edited)

I imagine work has been delayed and perhaps they are rethinking the streetside studio idea. With the frequent protests turning violent I could see them either replacing what they have with a stronger type of glass * or additional security measures such as more fencing around the studio or additional layers of glass.

* Perhaps hurricane proof - I’ve seen residential glass get battered by tree limbs and other projectiles at 70+ MPH without issue. I don’t think any person could generate enough force that strong.  But I’d also keep bullet proof as well. 

It wouldn’t  surprise me if they no incorporate rolling shutters like you see on storefronts rather than having to board up each time there’s a protest or unrest. I could see them somehow retrofitted to Studio 1A as well. I know they have two layers of glass and the outermost layer you may not be able to put shutters but maybe on the inside you could between the panels.

Edited by rkolsen