WPTZ new set

C Block

WPTZ? Yes. WMTW/WPXT? I know its a few years ago but I'll say yes. WMUR? Yes. WCVB? Hasn't seen a new one since 2007.

Hearst has gotten everyone in New England new sets except for their big one, WCVB. I wonder why is that?

27 minutes ago, TheRolyPoly said:

Hearst has gotten everyone in New England new sets except for their big one, WCVB. I wonder why is that?

Well they got all those expensive (then) monitors around their set.  This stuff comes out of the capitol budgets for a long time and I imagine WCVB spent a decent amount of money redoing their newsroom. It was something as simple as for the next three years can we live on our set or an outdated depressing newsroom?

It looks like WPTZ and WTMW are still SD.

6 hours ago, rkolsen said:

Looks like they got the KSBW version simple weather center.  Desk surrounded by monitors. 

But KSBW's studio wasn't a Devlin job like this one was. At least two Hearst stations went the Z Space route with their sets (KSBW included).

Is it just me or is it the fact that WPTZ is just an odd Hearst-owned station? They're branded as NBC 5 while everybody else at Hearst is using the call letters in the branding

11 hours ago, rkolsen said:

It looks like WPTZ and WTMW are still SD.

If memory serves me right, this new set came about because WPTZ was building a new facility, moving from Winooski to South Burlington. If you're going to build a new building, why go through the difficulty of bringing old equipment there especially since those SD cameras at WPTZ can't be all that young. Didn't Hearst use a building move at KETV as the reason to finally go HD there?

I'm probably the biggest Hearst critic here and if this is true actions like this are why. They may be classy but man are they also difficult in some fronts, especially since both of their rivals have been HD since at the latest 2011!

5 hours ago, oknewsguy said:

Is it just me or is it the fact that WPTZ is just an odd Hearst-owned station? They're branded as NBC 5 while everybody else at Hearst is using the call letters in the branding

NBC 5 was a means to create a unified branding for an assortment of reasons:

• The inevitable plan to sell WNNE's frequency and move it from Mount Ascutney to Mount Mansfield, eventually ending it becoming a CW station. In the Upper Valley, WPTZ might as well have not existed even after WNNE became practically a full satellite.
  • In said Upper Valley, the fact that within a couple years time both of their existing NBC choices would no longer exist in those forms as WHDH was facing disaffiliation and the chances for WBTS carriage were nil. The Boston VHF's and WSBK are still on cable in a those areas
  • Hearst knew that in much of the New Hampshire part of the market and in Windsor/Windham Counties that having WPTZ assume all the WNNE spots (which happened) would breed a LOT of confusion with  their own sister, WCVB. This could be a mitigation of sorts

So, roughly, this was a situation solely of Hearst's making.

4 hours ago, scrabbleship said:

I'm probably the biggest Hearst critic here and if this is true actions like this are why. They may be classy but man are they also difficult in some fronts, especially since both of their rivals have been HD since at the latest 2011!

Absolutely this. We're midway through 2019. They can't even announce they are now in HD, because it would be embarrassing. I know there's a lot of people that don't want to hear it but, let's face it, Hearst is cheap and this is a prime example of how cheap they are.

49 minutes ago, Weeters said:

Absolutely this. We're midway through 2019. They can't even announce they are now in HD, because it would be embarrassing. I know there's a lot of people that don't want to hear it but, let's face it, Hearst is cheap and this is a prime example of how cheap they are.

Gone are their glory days of jazzing up sets with the “latest” equipment imaginable:

22 hours ago, JCB4TV said:

As per the Contact Us section of their website, it appears that WPTZ/WNNE have vacated Plattsburgh as their addresses are the VT & NH offices.

Their Plattsburgh bureau is being upgraded and currently is offline. They haven't been wholly New York based since they moved their main studio from Plattsburgh to Winooski (the building they just left) in 1995.

36 minutes ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Watching livestream of latest newscast … surprisingly they don't have the Hearst mandated Olympic rings.

-- Matt

Hearst doesn’t "mandate" (god, I hate that word) the rings. NBC does, but it's not usually a big deal if a station doesn't do it. 

8 hours ago, susquvalleywgal said:

Watching livestream of latest newscast … surprisingly they don't have the Hearst mandated Olympic rings.

-- Matt

Worth noting that the live streams on the websites, NewsOn and clips on YouTube Hearst overlays a separate logo on the videos.  Just because it’s not online doesn’t mean it’s not on air. The livestream and online clips most likely come straight from the production control room which for many stations never inserts the logo.  That is done so it can easily be shared within the group. So whatever software does their livestream and cuts clips of newscasts may not have had their logo updated. For the one of the recent Olympics all of WBAL’s online videos used the standard bug.

Archived