KMGH's Circle 7

DirtyHarry

4 hours ago, Weeters said:

No. ABC's trademark on the Circle 7 applies only to the logo that's on the trademark document. That's why there's a bunch of knockoffs of the Circle 7 (KMGH, WSVN, and so on,) because THOSE don't run up against the ABC trademarked one.

Right--I think that's the key. They can't block any of the other circle 7's because they don't go up against a station using the ABC Circle 7. But if the Circle 7 were a nationwide thing (like Burger King), they would be able to.

I'm sure KMGH could switch to the standard ABC 7 logo if they wanted to. But really all they need to do is go back to how it looked before the most recent change with "DENVER" striking through it. The KMGH 1998 logo, with its slight variations over the years, is otherwise one of the better TVbD logos that has stood up well.

2 hours ago, C Block said:

I'm sure KMGH could switch to the standard ABC 7 logo if they wanted to. But really all they need to do is go back to how it looked before the most recent change with "DENVER" striking through it. The KMGH 1998 logo, with its slight variations over the years, is otherwise one of the better TVbD logos that has stood up well.

Exactly, that's what I think.  Their circle 7 logo they have had since the end of the 90s is the longest one they have used in my lifetime and they have managed to keep their branding consistent.  The station's real concern should be with the quality of their news and how it can appeal to more people, they have lagged behind the other stations for so long that they will even have to shake off preconceived assumptions about them in the process.

10 hours ago, alrdenver82 said:

No way, that reminds me of the real life real news era, nothing like alienating the small number of viewers they had.

That was a pretty good logo, if they had kept it like the other stations kept theirs at the time of the switch, it would have maintained local familiarity.  Unfortunately KMGH wasn't thinking long term at the time.

Or, maybe they could go back to this one, which I think was pretty cool...

336001544_KMGH_1976-81_28B29.png.572576471b6c62f98712c1ef4b628887.png

1 hour ago, Big Rollo Smokes said:

Or, maybe they could go back to this one, which I think was pretty cool...

336001544_KMGH_1976-81_28B29.png.572576471b6c62f98712c1ef4b628887.png

That was an okay logo for it's time but I can see why it didn't last forever, the 7 looks kind of small within the triangle.  A more modern take on it could have a purple triangle in the background with a larger white 7 overlapping it with the ABC logo to the lower right maybe.

I've toyed around with this logo myself. It's cool, but yeah I can see it having sizing issues (I put it in a circle to show a potential social media avatar) and co-branding it with ABC would be a bit of a nightmare.

LJwGIVq.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 10:47 AM, DirtyHarry said:

That has to be the world's ugliest TV station logo. Why don't they just use a Circle 7 like everybody else?

I'm late to this, but what package are those L3s from? I like them for Scripps. Wish KGTV were using them.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:45 PM, Samantha said:

I've toyed around with this logo myself. It's cool, but yeah I can see it having sizing issues (I put it in a circle to show a potential social media avatar) and co-branding it with ABC would be a bit of a nightmare.

LJwGIVq.png

Perhaps  in the lower left?

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2019 at 11:45 PM, Samantha said:

LJwGIVq.png

Stupid non editor question: Is the negative 7 space a shape you came up with or text? If so what font?

Archived