KMGH's Circle 7

DirtyHarry

3 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

That has to be the world's ugliest TV station logo. Why don't they just use a Circle 7 like everybody else?

This is the same station that still uses "TheDenverChannel.com" as it's web address, after all...

On 7/17/2019 at 11:47 AM, DirtyHarry said:

That has to be the world's ugliest TV station logo. Why don't they just use a Circle 7 like everybody else?

I agree that Scripps screwed up KMGH's logo. I think they should just go old school and make it close to what WXYZ has. What is so hard about that?  

2 hours ago, DENDude said:

I agree that Scripps screwed up KMGH's logo. I think they should just go old school and make it close to what WXYZ has. What is so hard about that?  

If Scripps wants a true "Circle 7" for KMGH, then I'm pretty sure whoever holds that trademark will be happy to license it...for a nice fee.

58 minutes ago, Eat News said:

If Scripps wants a true "Circle 7" for KMGH, then I'm pretty sure whoever holds that trademark will be happy to license it...for a nice fee.

Walt Disney owns the rights to the circle 7 as it was first used in 1962 by the ABC owned stations of the time that all aired on VHF channel 7, so that's where the rights are and I think KMGH could have exclusive reserved rights to use the logo as an affiliate of the network as they already use the ABC logo to the right of the 7.

Personally though, I would have to object to KMGH using the generic circle 7 because if they did a lot of people here would call them out for wanting to look like a California TV station like KABC or KGO and not reflecting Colorado's image which is why they have used their own circle logo since 1998.  The overlapping Denver banner didn't show up until three years ago and if they just get rid of that part it would be more than fine, but no one is going to like their news any better no matter what logo they have.

27 minutes ago, alrdenver82 said:

Walt Disney owns the rights to the circle 7 as it was first used in 1962 by the ABC owned stations of the time that all aired on VHF channel 7, so that's where the rights are and I think KMGH could have exclusive reserved rights to use the logo as an affiliate of the network as they already use the ABC logo to the right of the 7.

Personally though, I would have to object to KMGH using the generic circle 7 because if they did a lot of people here would call them out for wanting to look like a California TV station like KABC or KGO and not reflecting Colorado's image which is why they have used their own circle logo since 1998.  The overlapping Denver banner didn't show up until three years ago and if they just get rid of that part it would be more than fine, but no one is going to like their news any better no matter what logo they have.

Since Scripps is one of ABC's top affiliate groups, I doubt they would have any problem with KMGH using the traditional Circle 7.

2 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

Since Scripps is one of ABC's top affiliate groups, I doubt they would have any problem with KMGH using the traditional Circle 7.

Plus two Scripps stations already use the Circle 7, albeit a fatter version.

3 hours ago, GoldenShine9 said:

The use of the circle 7 is not a freebie.

ABC gets paid a handsome licensing FEE...not Free.

I don't care how many Scripps stations are ABC affils...you still PAY to use the circle 7 logo.

So you are correct that ABC wont mind the use of the proper circle 7...after they PAY for the rights to do so.

Nothing is free.

I'm seemingly one of the few Coloradans who really does not like KMGH's logo. Only TVbD or GO ever seemed to know how to make it work.

And besides, is looking like KABC such a bad thing? If wanting to look like a California station is supposedly this great sin, someone tell KCNC that.

2 hours ago, Weeters said:

Maybe... Just maybe... They didn't want the traditional Cirlce 7.

And, again, "Scripps" didn't screw up anything. That logo was all KMGH's in-house people.

The same argument could be made about KETV and their logo.

7 minutes ago, channel2 said:

KETV's logo is KMGH's done right. They - with the help of corporate mandates - seem to use it much more gracefully than KMGH has theirs.

Them and KOAT both have done the Circle 7 better than the in-house people of KMGH ever thought about doing

6 hours ago, channel2 said:

I'm seemingly one of the few Coloradans who really does not like KMGH's logo. Only TVbD or GO ever seemed to know how to make it work.

And besides, is looking like KABC such a bad thing? If wanting to look like a California station is supposedly this great sin, someone tell KCNC that.

Here's where I come from on this, if KMGH were network owned and used the generic circle 7, I would forgive them, but only if that came with a genuine concern and understanding of the television market they served.  In KCNC's case they are network owned and understandably have less flexibility with their presentation, but if they had the ability to use their own logo I would bet with certainly that they would since that station has spent the last two years heavily emphasizing their localism.

KMGH however is not network owned, and while they may have their music and text graphics supplied to them by Scripps they are clearly allowed to have whatever logo they want.  Sure it has to be something pleasing to the eye but should also be something that identifies them uniquely.  Using a logo of a more successful ABC affiliate out of state could make KMGH look good at first to someone who moved to Denver from Chicago who was in the habit of watching WLS everyday, but not for someone who was born and raised here that would prefer how better the other local stations are with reflecting the region they serve.

It's one thing to improve a station's logo, but if said station can't improve on other things that would do more to make people watch then all a nicer logo design would do is go to waste.

21 hours ago, Eat News said:

The use of the circle 7 is not a freebie.

ABC gets paid a handsome licensing FEE...not Free.

I don't care how many Scripps stations are ABC affils...you still PAY to use the circle 7 logo.

So you are correct that ABC wont mind the use of the proper circle 7...after they PAY for the rights to do so.

Nothing is free.

It is a freebie for WXYZ... terms of the sale in 1986. But that’s probably the only one like that. 

1 hour ago, tyrannical bastard said:

Seems hard to believe that if it is licensed, that WKBW would pony up the dough to fix their mess of a logo, but it was so bad under Granite that it needed a desperate improvement.

KMGH's logo is not my cup of tea, but adding the DENVER'S to it...well....🤮🤮🤮

I have trouble believing that ABC charges for it if you're an ABC affiliate. If I were ABC, I would love for my Affiliates to be using the same branding all over the network.

43 minutes ago, DirtyHarry said:

I have trouble believing that ABC charges for it if you're an ABC affiliate. If I were ABC, I would love for my Affiliates to be using the same branding all over the network.

They have to. If you own a trademark, you legally have to license and approve it's use (even if the licensing fee is $1) or you risk losing your right to the trademark. Also, it's Disney. Have you ever known them to NOT enforce their trademarks?

Here's the Circle 7 trademark registration, by the way.

And another thing I thought of, KMGH was using a very nice circle 7 logo in the early 1990s when it was a CBS station, did they have to pay ABC for that?   They could go back to this for all I care just put the ABC logo to the right.

KMGH93

1991-1995 Logo. 

6 hours ago, DENDude said:

And another thing I thought of, KMGH was using a very nice circle 7 logo in the early 1990s when it was a CBS station, did they have to pay ABC for that?   They could go back to this for all I care just put the ABC logo to the right.

KMGH93

1991-1995 Logo. 

I like that style 7.

Anyone want this logo to come back?  😉

1091920249_Annotation2019-07-23081642.jpg.1d1822cfd9b40434e8fbd90058742f20.jpg

2 hours ago, LexTVandRadio said:

I like that style 7.

Anyone want this logo to come back?  😉

1091920249_Annotation2019-07-23081642.jpg.1d1822cfd9b40434e8fbd90058742f20.jpg

No way, that reminds me of the real life real news era, nothing like alienating the small number of viewers they had.

8 hours ago, DENDude said:

KMGH93

1991-1995 Logo. 

That was a pretty good logo, if they had kept it like the other stations kept theirs at the time of the switch, it would have maintained local familiarity.  Unfortunately KMGH wasn't thinking long term at the time.

No. ABC's trademark on the Circle 7 applies only to the logo that's on the trademark document. That's why there's a bunch of knockoffs of the Circle 7 (KMGH, WSVN, and so on,) because THOSE don't run up against the ABC trademarked one.

Archived