New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

17 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

The CBS Philly Vimeo has posted a few new imaging spots featuring a green theme and the new logo, that along with the fact that tv listings haven't reverted back to using the "Eyewitness News" name this week may point to something imminent (unless the user has actual inside info). 

IMG_0842.jpeg

@HulkieDand I were spitballing last night over a possibility this usage of Eagles green might be tied to a forthcoming broadcast rights deal of some sort with the team. I can’t think of a single TV station in the entire market that’s ever used the color scheme, nor could she.

And to be honest, the O&O graphics will look a lot better with Eagles green and teal as opposed to black-and-gold.

3 hours ago, newsteam13 said:

How about bringing back that classic Group W 3 logo?

That typeface needed to be retired in 2003 and would be even more obsolete in 2023.

Using this weird “3” for what it clearly is — a simple marketing tool for CBS News Philadelphia — is actually not that bad an idea. (“Tune in to CBS News Philadelphia on Channel 3!”) Plus it’s more visually appealing than that ungainly Helvetica “3” KYW-TV has been saddled with for far too long.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 1

I was thinking the green (IF the gfx actually end up being green) could have at least two meanings- one being the obvious Eagles connotation, harboring the city's affinity for the team, the other being the positive connotation of the term "green" in modern parlance. 

Also given the sheer size of the 3 in some of the new promos (even though I much prefer it's smaller usage in place of the "box" in the new logo), as has been said- it's definitely a testament to the "channel 3, channel 6, channel 10" mentality of the market. Aside from potential usage in the graphics and maybe on screens in the studio, I doubt the word "three" will be mentioned much, if at all, but for hardcore old-school Philadelphia viewers, just SEEING a three will perhaps help bridge that gap between the outgoing and the incoming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhillyWatch said:

I was thinking the green (IF the gfx actually end up being green) could have at least two meanings- one being the obvious Eagles connotation, harboring the city's affinity for the team, the other being the positive connotation of the term "green" in modern parlance. 

Thing is, I can’t think of a commercial station in the market that has used a color scheme like this. Maybe WCAU in 1995 when they were a lame-duck CBS O&O?

I know WIP-FM has that color scheme and blatantly so, being the Eagles radio flagship and all.

5 minutes ago, PhillyWatch said:

Also given the sheer size of the 3 in some of the new promos (even though I much prefer it's smaller usage in place of the "box" in the new logo), as has been said- it's definitely a testament to the "channel 3, channel 6, channel 10" mentality of the market. Aside from potential usage in the graphics and maybe on screens in the studio, I doubt the word "three" will be mentioned much, if at all, but for hardcore old-school Philadelphia viewers, just SEEING a three will perhaps help bridge that gap between the outgoing and the incoming. 

To wit, WPSG has a logo that reads “CW Philly 57” but is identified verbally as “The CW Philly”. This is actually on-brand for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 24994J said:

The final product is green, but unfortunately, the 3 is co-branded with the CBS eye in the box, like New York and others. Paired with the black ticker, it's a very handsome look.

If you had to choose between the old Helvetica 3 (with the double CBS eye, no less) and this 3, which would you go with?

I would go with the new 3 three 10 times out of 10.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty Muck said:

Thing is, I can’t think of a commercial station in the market that has used a color scheme like this. Maybe WCAU in 1995 when they were a lame-duck CBS O&O?

WPSG did have graphics that leaned neon green for their "Wake Up News" show after the switch from UPN to the CW

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rusty Muck said:

If you had to choose between the old Helvetica 3 (with the double CBS eye, no less) and this 3, which would you go with?

I would go with the new 3 three 10 times out of 10.

New 3, for sure, with no CBS eye attached during the news. The flair of the new numeral is lost when at such a small scale, in the box, with the eye.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PhillyWatch said:

WPSG did have graphics that leaned neon green for their "Wake Up News" show after the switch from UPN to the CW

I still don't understand the green choice so long ago, it was such an awful color choice both for branding and accents.

• Sad 1

WCCO has to be flipping today... Facebook page has been rebranded from "WCCO-TV | CBS Minnesota" to "WCCO News & CBS Minnesota". No logos changed on the socials yet...

Addendum: No way this played into any launch date whatsoever... But WCCO is on virtual channel 4, and the satellite they kept, KCCW (Walker, MN) is on virtual channel 12... Today is 4/12...

Edited by GodfreyGR
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, 24994J said:

New 3, for sure, with no CBS eye attached during the news. The flair of the new numeral is lost when at such a small scale, in the box, with the eye.

Having seen the demo, I actually give it a 9.5 out of 10, if it was JUST the 3 with no eye in that box, it’d be a runaway 10/10 and the best execution of the package yet. In fact, it already is better than KCAL

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 3

The more I see it, if they had to insist on the box, I would have preferred the 3 by itself sans Eye.

Also on their choice of color scheme, I think they picked Midnight Green 1; cause Eagles and 2; mainly to differentiate themselves from the other stations in town. Everyone else uses some combination of blue and white as the primary colors of their graphics. KYW would at least be separating themselves in that regard by going with Eagles colors.

Edited by WCAUTVNBC10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The Philly Inquirer also has a nice write up on the rebrand:

https://www.inquirer.com/entertainment/tv/eyewitness-news-cbs-philadelphia-rebrand-20230412.html?outputType=amp

The statements from the GM in both articles does have me doubting what others have claimed is the end of local identities at CBS Local. 

Just going by what all the GMs and the head of the division have all said, their goal is basically to merge the CBS News brand with the local fabric of each station with each station going about it the way it fits their market. Flame away if you disagree. I don't care. Lol

2 minutes ago, jase said:

Really like the green…

IMG_0764.thumb.jpeg.de74092eb7593f35aac4a3ca275eeb60.jpegIMG_0765.thumb.jpeg.549a045e34ff7389043db2ee6cee8bb3.jpegIMG_0766.thumb.jpeg.03b64437e1d744a58efbe93c8a3839e5.jpeg

Everything looks great but fail on that dated skyline image.

Also they're using the new Next Weather gfx.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1