New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

1 minute ago, Lukelikesgraphics said:

i doont think that bug is supposed to be there

It's only the first day. You're going to see old logos here and there. Just like when the graphics launched this morning, we did not see the time/temp ticker on the bottom of the screen. Let them take the time to change the logos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Georgie56 said:

Some notable takeaways:

- Not every station will ditch the channel numbers in the rebranding (congrats to some nostalgic fans, there may be hope)

- The graphics will be used with Chyron Prime

- The music used is customizable 

- Rest of the stations will see the new look this Spring

5 hours ago, NewEgg00 said:

Some notable takeaways:

- Not every station will ditch the channel numbers in the rebranding (congrats to some nostalgic fans, there may be hope)

Article says WWJ is next and the others will be in the spring.

• Like 1

The graphics look very generic: big, white, flat, and boxy. As someone wrote earlier, it looks like a local cable news operation such as NY 1.

The enforcer theme should remain, it's iconic and powerful. I hope more local stations don't go the Tegna route with video game sounding themes in an attemt to seem "hip and digital".

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 6
  • Concerned 1

22 hours ago, NewEgg00 said:

Some notable takeaways:

Moving to Chyron probably explains at least some of the teething problems on KCBS, I mean, uhh, KCAL. I believe they were on Viz before. Hopefully the other stations have a smoother transition.

The assignment desk segments are interesting, though it’s not a new idea by any means. I can’t help but think the unions would kill it before anything else though. I don’t know what the contracts are down there, but up here, SAG-AFTRA is pretty clear that anybody who’s not hired to be on-air never appears on-air.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iron_lion said:

The graphics look very generic: big, white, flat, and boxy. As someone wrote earlier, it looks like a local cable news operation such as NY 1.

The enforcer theme should remain, it's iconic and powerful. I hope more local stations don't go the Tegna route with video game sounding themes in an attemt to seem "hip and digital".

CBS is moving away from Enforcer for exactly that reason. It’s dated and doesn’t fit the direction of the network/O&Os. It’s been around long enough. It’s time for something refreshing and new. 

The graphics are modern and clean. They look good on mobile and streaming, which is the future. They’re far better than the current iteration of the O&O graphics. 

Overall, it appears this is a solid upgrade for the CBS O&Os. Despite some stations keeping calls or channel numbers (for now), I think this is a step in the right direction. I for one am happy to see some of the nostalgia go to the wayside. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Tyler said:

CBS is moving away from Enforcer for exactly that reason. It’s dated and doesn’t fit the direction of the network/O&Os. It’s been around long enough. It’s time for something refreshing and new. 

The graphics are modern and clean. They look good on mobile and streaming, which is the future. They’re far better than the current iteration of the O&O graphics. 

Overall, it appears this is a solid upgrade for the CBS O&Os. Despite some stations keeping calls or channel numbers (for now), I think this is a step in the right direction. I for one am happy to see some of the nostalgia go to the wayside. 

What % of streaming news viewing time is on small devices vs a normal TV screen? I get the sense people equate streaming with mobile device. But at least in my habits, most of my 'streaming' is on a full sized TV as we don't use traditional cable, but one of the streaming packages like Hulu Live or YouTube TV, or Pluto.

And these graphics designed for mobile come off flat and sterile on TV screens. 

Was relieved to read they are going market by market with local-specific research, rather than a completely top down approach. 

We'll see if the ABC O&Os extend their leads sticking with a more traditional format, but am surprised CBS was able to get Wendy from the ABC stations. Odd she'd take this job as a co-head at CBS when she was the single head for the ABC group - which is bigger at least in leadership of the markets they play. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 2

It all comes down to personal taste.

The current O&O look is not great but this isnt much of an upgrade. For me, grand well composed themes like The Enforcer, ABC's Cool Hand Luke, or NBC's the Mission are timless as apposed to techno gumdrop beat sounding pieces like Tega does.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:06 PM, sfomspphl said:

What % of streaming news viewing time is on small devices vs a normal TV screen? I get the sense people equate streaming with mobile device. But at least in my habits, most of my 'streaming' is on a full sized TV as we don't use traditional cable, but one of the streaming packages like Hulu Live or YouTube TV, or Pluto.

And these graphics designed for mobile come off flat and sterile on TV screens. 

Exactly. There is a perception that most mobile viewing takes place on a smartphone as opposed to a tablet, computer, or full blown smart tv. I still dont get the notion of why mobile must = flat. Even the glossy graphics of yesterday still hold up well on small screen phones playing old youtube clips. But again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Tyler said:

You young whippersnappers!!!! Leave us 'traditionalists' alone!!!

But seriously...I agree it makes sense to have 'some' form of uniformity (whether it's graphics, music, etc..). However, that uniformity shouldn't come at the expense of, for example, a station's uniqueness. And that is no doubt a huge challenge that CBS has to work through.

Edited by jase
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jase said:

However, that uniformity shouldn't come at the expense of, for example, a station's uniqueness. And that is no doubt a huge challenge that CBS has to work through.

That ship has long since sailed (as much as I hate to say it). CBS O&O, NBC O&O, FOX O&O, TENGA, Scripps, Sinclair- they've all long since sent a station's uniqueness, for the most part, out the window. 

The biggest nail in the coffin was arguably the CBS definitely-not-a-mandate, but the death knell was the FOX O&O box kite standardization. Prior to that, most O&O's were doing their own interpretation of the FOX BOX side-by-side logo with varying color schemes, themes, and graphics. But in the era of hubbing and downsizing, the cookie cutter has come to rule the day. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jase said:

You young whippersnappers!!!! Leave us 'traditionalists' alone!!!

But seriously...I agree it makes sense to have 'some' form of uniformity (whether it's graphics, music, etc..). However, that uniformity shouldn't come at the expense of, for example, a station's uniqueness. And that is no doubt a huge challenge that CBS has to work through.

Uniformity isnt all bad. It's cool seeing an identical format with different faces when going to another city.  But I dont mind a middle ground, uniformity with traces of uniquness. For example, KDKA has the standard CBS get up, only their little twist is the black and gold graphics. Staions could have a standardized set perhaps with individual takes on colors or set per market. Maybe even a different version of the theme. ABC's O&Os have achieved this and they're largely winning. CBS hasn't achieved a winning formula to warrant a standard format acoss stations. 

Edited by iron_lion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, iron_lion said:

Uniformity isnt all bad. It's cool seeing an identical format with different faces when going to another city.  But I dont mind a middle ground, uniformity with traces of uniquness. For example, KDKA has the standard CBS get up, only their little twist is the black and gold graphics. Staions could have a standardized set perhaps with individual takes on colors or set per market. Maybe even a different version of the theme. ABC's O&Os have achieved this and their largely winning. CBS hasn't achieved a winning formula to warrant a standard format across stations. 

Agreed. I see it as striking a balance between the new and the old which can be done in certain ways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iron_lion said:

Uniformity isnt all bad. It's cool seeing an identical format with different faces when going to another city.  But I dont mind a middle ground, uniformity with traces of uniquness. For example, KDKA has the standard CBS get up, only their little twist is the black and gold graphics. Staions could have a standardized set perhaps with individual takes on colors or set per market. Maybe even a different version of the theme. ABC's O&Os have achieved this and they're largely winning. CBS hasn't achieved a winning formula to warrant a standard format acoss stations. 

Yes, the non Group W CBS O&Os have been a basket case since the mid 80s or longer.

Since then, the only time they came close to being competitive was when Dennis Swanson showed up in the early 2000s. He applied the moves he used for turnarounds at KABC, WLS, and WNBC.

Emphasis on high recognition talent, poaching when needed

Straightforward, timeless sets and graphics with decisive and authoritative music vs the consultant fad / fashion of the day

Community event celebration, get the syndication lead-ins right. 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Some have called this "KCAL News" branding awkward and odd because the indepdendent's calls were chosen instead of the heritage CBS station's.  But when you consider the eyemark is seen not only in all KCAL newscasts but graces the floor under the anchor desk,  the station is for all practical purposes no longer an indie but a second CBS O&O.    From 2003 until last week,  the CBS eye was purposely absent from all KCAL 9 News graphic design.

The set is pretty darned nice  (so is KTLA's).  It looks much more vast than the old KCAL set it replaced.   It almost looks too big in a way;  the weather and traffic anchors seem kind of small sitting at those desks.   The audio seemed flat the other day, almost like the sound of people talking in a big empty hall.   Somebody said it, and I agree:   re the glitches and imperfections,  this is the kind of thing KTLA would pull off perfectly.

"The Desk" feature I like a little better than some others here do;  it isn't the first time in L.A. that kind of thing has been done;  KCOP's brief "Real News" in the mid-1990s or so had Ross Becker and others strolling around the newsroom and stopping at the assignment desk.  Boy did that idea go south fast...

O&O graphic design, music, etc, has been standardized by parent networks for a long time, but this CBS reworking finishes off most all local identity, making newscasts replicas of the network version.  I'd like to see stations retain SOME unique qualities, like channel numbers...  but I guess modern TV viewing and streaming makes clicking a number on the remote less relevant.  (It's odd that WCBS hasn't changed a thing yet)

It was a jolt to go through the Web site and see every reference to CBS 2,  CBS 2 News,  KCBS, etc absolutely gone.  The station that revolutionized local news in 1960,  the station of Dunphy,  Bill Stout, Clete Roberts,  Joseph Benti, Connie Chung, and others deserves something a little better than that --  even if its news ratings have been at the bottom of the heap for a long time.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, bostonmediaguy said:

Other than the weather icons, they look great.

Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday look like there's nothing there!

This is taking a page out of the new ABC O&O package's 7-day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bostonmediaguy said:

Other than the weather icons, they look great.

Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday look like there's nothing there!

Yeah, I can't tell from the screenshots what's happening. The cloudy one isn't so great, either. Perhaps the animations were caught in a bad frame, along with not being super clear because they're being shot off of a monitor.

But the overall look is pretty nice.

• Like 1