New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

4 hours ago, C Block said:

This open debuted a few weeks ago when KPIX shuffled around all their anchors. They're clearly trying to market the 6 and 7pm newscasts with Juliette Goodrich as complements to the Evening News with Norah O'Donnell. But aside from the new opens and giant tease banners for the 6 and 7pm shows, it's the same mish-mash of old and new graphics everywhere else on KPIX.

Plus, knowing PIX, they'll change their minds on everything again in about 3 months...

The 11pm newscast on KPIX now says “The Late News.” On my DVR. I’m guessing they are doing the same thing for Stephen Colbert 

On 10/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, newsteam13 said:

Plus, in favor of news theme music containing the This is CBS music logo, it looks and sounds like the longtime I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home signature is slowly and gradually sailing off into the sunset

No! 😭😭😭

• Like 2

I see absolutely no organized plan or blueprint for this long-touted "rearchitecture" (to use member Samantha's term)  of rendering O&O newscasts as local replications of the CBS News brand.  All that can be seen after many months of hype is just a grab-bag of different looks, styles, and sounders that vary from market to market from day to day and hour to hour, an awkward muddle of branding.

Edited by Nick
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick said:

I see absolutely no organized plan or blueprint for this long-touted "rearchitecture" (to use member Samantha's term)  of rendering O&O newscasts as local replications of the CBS News brand.  All that can be seen after many months of hype is just a grab-bag of different looks, styles, and sounders that vary from market to market from day to day and hour to hour, an awkward muddle of branding.

It definitely seems messy from our perspective of comparing different stations across the country. A new package IS coming, but it seems there were delays (possibly with management changes) and stations were eager to get something in place for the fall. So they're using elements that were given to them or creating their own takes of the network look in the interim.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 10/12/2022 at 5:41 AM, Geoffrey said:

It definitely seems messy from our perspective of comparing different stations across the country. A new package IS coming, but it seems there were delays (possibly with management changes) and stations were eager to get something in place for the fall. So they're using elements that were given to them or creating their own takes of the network look in the interim.

That makes perfect sense, I think.

•  From my comment-conversations with the YT uploaders of those "sizzle reels",   it seems it's pretty much that  "I got this from a guy who got it from a guy who says another guy leaked it to him..." In other words, take it for what it's worth.
  •  
  • Actually, when you think about it,   while those of us who follow this are tired of the 2016 O&O graphics and have been hearing about an update so long... what might we expect in the way of an overhaul? ...the current look isn't  necessarily dinosaur tracks;  the L3s and  most everything else  are in the same default TT Norms Pro with the CBS soft blue;   some of the over-the-shoulders and sidebars and weather graphics have been spruced up a bit;  the streaming versions of the newscasts have all the latest CBS  touches ;  the stations seem to have a lot of latitude with promos and branding, back and forth with channel number and CBS News identity.   
  • And for other Los Angeles-station viewers,  I believe KABC's graphics date to October 2015 and KTLA's are exactly six years old, though a new set in the making could bring a new look.
Edited by Nick
  • Confused 1

Watching the CBS News app on Apple TV, I had the Bay Area feed on about 7:45pm ET. The intro to the 5pm newscast had “CBS News Bay Area, powered by KPIX” in the intro.  take it for what it’s worth…

(Also 2 minutes into the newscast, the commercial playback automation kicked in, and I got 5-6 local-to-me ads, obliterating the first story…)

1 hour ago, Nick said:
  •  From my comment-conversations with the YT uploaders of those "sizzle reels",   it seems it's pretty much that  "I got this from a guy who got it from a guy who says another guy leaked it to him..." In other words, take it for what it's worth.

The design language matches what we've seen across other CBS News properties. It definitely might not be the final form, but I can guarantee that it's something that was thrown out.

1 hour ago, Nick said:
  • Actually, when you think about it,   while those of us who follow this are tired of the 2016 O&O graphics and have been hearing about an update so long... what might we expect in the way of an overhaul? ...the current look isn't  necessarily dinosaur tracks;  the L3s and  most everything else  are in the same default TT Norms Pro with the CBS soft blue;   some of the over-the-shoulders and sidebars and weather graphics have been spruced up a bit;  the streaming versions of the newscasts have all the latest CBS  touches ;  the stations seem to have a lot of latitude with promos and branding, back and forth with channel number and CBS News identity.

While the 2016 package, in its original state, is totally fine, so many stations have tweaked their own looks to the point where there are some major inconsistencies, from market to market. Post-Moonves CBS has created a unifying brand that, at least to me, is meant to keep everyone in-line. And for the record, TT Norms is not, and was never previously the font for the 2016 package. That lack of attention to detail pokes some holes in this opinion.

1 hour ago, Nick said:
  • And for other Los Angeles-station viewers,  I believe KABC's graphics date to October 2015 and KTLA's are exactly six years old, though a new set in the making could bring a new look.

All signs point to KABC having a new look on the horizon (within the year, weeks, or even days), with the current package lasting so long only because the final details of a groupwide look are being ironed out. And your thought about KTLA is shared with me.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 9:55 PM, 24994J said:

The design language matches what we've seen across other CBS News properties. It definitely might not be the final form, but I can guarantee that it's something that was thrown out.

While the 2016 package, in its original state, is totally fine, so many stations have tweaked their own looks to the point where there are some major inconsistencies, from market to market. Post-Moonves CBS has created a unifying brand that, at least to me, is meant to keep everyone in-line. And for the record, TT Norms is not, and was never previously the font for the 2016 package. That lack of attention to detail pokes some holes in this opinion.

All signs point to KABC having a new look on the horizon (within the year, weeks, or even days), with the current package lasting so long only because the final details of a groupwide look are being ironed out. And your thought about KTLA is shared with me.

You're absolutely right of course about the difference between the 2016 look and TT Norms Pro, which I should have discerned.   While the latter's been integrated somewhat into the stations' current look,   the font on the L3s is not the same.  And the "News" font under the O&O station logo goes back years and years.    It used to be that a new look would often  be introduced to coincide with the start of a new Nielsen book, but maybe the old "sweeps" idea is irrelevant in these times, particularly in the larger markets.

Edited by Nick

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Sorry to be repeating this, but when do we think we will see the new graphics? Every post I've seen says November. November will be here before you know it.

It’s gonna start rolling out after the midterms. CBS News Detroit is also expected to launch next month, as well.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

It’s gonna start rolling out after the midterms. CBS News Detroit is also expected to launch next month, as well.

I’m surprised they aren’t rolling everything out right now. I’m not just talking about the graphics; I’m referring to the new newscasts in both Detroit and LA. The midterms are going to see higher news viewership than normal, and this would be the best time to launch. To me, it doesn’t really make sense to wait until general interest in news has waned to launch new newscasts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

I’m surprised they aren’t rolling everything out right now.

I'm not. Think of all the unforeseen issues that are likely to happen with the launch (like anytime a station launches a new graphics package, for example, let alone a whole new newscast). Having those issues right before the biggest story of the year when viewership is up and more eyeballs to catch a possible major issue makes for a bad first impression.

Recent example is KSAZ last night testing their election ticker... And whoever runs that for them probably isn't brand new to the job.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

I'm not. Think of all the unforeseen issues that are likely to happen with the launch (like anytime a station launches a new graphics package, for example, let alone a whole new newscast). Having those issues right before the biggest story of the year when viewership is up and more eyeballs to catch a possible major issue makes for a bad first impression.

Recent example is KSAZ last night testing their election ticker... And whoever runs that for them probably isn't brand new to the job.

Good point, the last thing the stations need is for more people to see them screw up. That one KSAZ issue could send Arizona’s election into a tailspin just because of all the craziness surrounding it.

• Like 3

There is no more clue to any kind of launch date for  the seven-hour KCAL morning news block than there was in mid-July.   But its noon newscast today did have some new and I thought intriguing interstices --  in line with CBS News imaging with the lighter blue  and a flash of an "Anywhere, Anytime" branding  (or maybe the other way around,  it was so fast).  Alas, KCBS's evening shows revealed nothing of the kind.  I still think they're messing with our minds... 🙂

Edited by Nick

19 hours ago, Nick said:

There is no more clue to any kind of launch date for  the seven-hour KCAL morning news block than there was in mid-July.   But its noon newscast today did have some new and I thought intriguing interstices --  in line with CBS News imaging with the lighter blue  and a flash of an "Anywhere, Anytime" branding  (or maybe the other way around,  it was so fast).  Alas, KCBS's evening shows revealed nothing of the kind.  I still think they're messing with our minds... 🙂

A December launch is now the target. Ongoing discussion about the KCAL newscast can go in that station thread, or the broader O&O expansion thread.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ckbx0DIS_S6/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any insight into the timeline for a graphics package change?

Is it tied to when KCAL launches their morning news block sometime next month?

...or when WWJ launches its newscasts? (Any estimated launch date?)

One thing to note (though perhaps unrelated), WBZ/Boston has not used the CBSN graphics package on its CBS News Boston OTT stream newscasts in several months, instead using the O&O graphics package.

• Like 1