New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

4 hours ago, K77 said:

Are there any actual CBS O&O folks here? Word around is the new image (graphics/music) has been a flop. Negative viewer reaction (especially with the music) in just the few months in use. WBBM's President/GM had been very vocal about her concerns about the whole package prior to rollout which are turning out to be true. WBBM has been continuing to use one music cut from the Enforcer package for the opens of the 5, 6, and 10 PM weekday opens since their changeover. I've noticed they've been phasing in more Enforcer cuts here and there, and again for the 10PM bumps.

I have a feeling the graphics may stay but the new music may get dumped in the close future.

I’m don’t work at a station, just a casual viewer.

IMO, the graphics look sharp and are a massive improvement over what they replaced. My one criticism is that the L3s (especially the logo bug) take up a large chunk of the screen at all times, and a constant headline ticker isn’t really necessary most of the time. Otherwise, I’ve got no issues with them.

However, the music is really, *really* repetitive and dull, and it’s already become stale imo. I was hoping there would be more cuts of “Dimensional”, but it’s a really limited music package.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

IMO, the graphics look sharp and are a massive improvement over what they replaced. My one criticism is that the L3s (especially the logo bug) take up a large chunk of the screen at all times, and a constant headline ticker isn’t really necessary most of the time. Otherwise, I’ve got no issues with them.

However, the music is really, *really* repetitive and dull, and it’s already become stale imo. I was hoping there would be more cuts of “Dimensional”, but it’s a really limited music package.

The station that uses Dimensional the best is CBS 5. I don't understand why the other O&O's don't use the full package like CBS 5 does.

• Like 6

To me the city name as the main brand on the screen feels more detached, less local - like are people in NY and DC doing the news and this is our lightly edited “edition.” Just my observation.

The Rich Lieberman blog says the rolllout hasn’t “moved the needle” at KPIX though they were pretty aimless going in. 

KDKA’s May was mixed vs a year ago…good data here:

https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-strong-sweeps-ratings-for-wtae-tv-pbs-explores-age-of-easy-money/

The 6 dropped a lot esp among the demo, WTAE held its ratings at 6. The 5 and 11 look more stable. Don’t know the market well enough to hazard other factors at 6 though that tends to be the creature of habit time slot vs the leadin driven 11.

Feb also showed a drop vs prior year for KDKA at 6.

Noon which is an oddly big audience for KDKA held steady. Any other station have a Noon that draws more than most of the evening? 

Edited by sfomspphl
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, sfomspphl said:

Noon which is an oddly big audience for KDKA held steady. Any other station have a Noon that draws more than most of the evening? 

Most CBS stations, especially the laggards, rate well at midday, post-Price is Right.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

KPIX has their own custom cuts of Dimensional that I’m surprised haven’t been used by others around the group yet.

1 hour ago, Georgie56 said:

KPIX has their own custom cuts of Dimensional that I’m surprised haven’t been used by others around the group yet.

the morning music is too chirpy. Playing that track over a serious story doesn’t fit well.

they only cut that KPIX doesn’t use is the main extended theme heard throughout the station groups (especially the KCAL, KOVR, KCNC opens)

I was hoping they would’ve used that track for its new primetime newscasts but they went with the 7pm music route instead.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

To me the city name as the main brand on the screen feels more detached, less local - like are people in NY and DC doing the news and this is our lightly edited “edition.” Just my observation.

The Rich Lieberman blog says the rolllout hasn’t “moved the needle” at KPIX though they were pretty aimless going in. 

KDKA’s May was mixed vs a year ago…good data here:

https://triblive.com/aande/movies-tv/tv-talk-strong-sweeps-ratings-for-wtae-tv-pbs-explores-age-of-easy-money/

The 6 dropped a lot esp among the demo, WTAE held its ratings at 6. The 5 and 11 look more stable. Don’t know the market well enough to hazard other factors at 6 though that tends to be the creature of habit time slot vs the leadin driven 11.

Feb also showed a drop vs prior year for KDKA at 6.

It’s been discussed extensively here in the past, but I don’t think the branding shift was designed to “move the needle” as much as it was designed to promote the local streaming services. I really wish there were more reliable sources for ratings than that creep Rich Lieberman, but even if he’s right…at least the station hasn’t tanked, I guess.

Pittsburgh is always competitive, and the ratings race for the 25-54 demo is extremely close. I’m sure there are other factors as to why KDKA is down at 6pm, though I wouldn’t be familiar with what those are.

• Like 4

On 11/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

It’s been discussed extensively here in the past, but I don’t think the branding shift was designed to “move the needle” as much as it was designed to promote the local streaming services. I really wish there were more reliable sources for ratings than that creep Rich Lieberman, but even if he’s right…at least the station hasn’t tanked, I guess.

Pittsburgh is always competitive, and the ratings race for the 25-54 demo is extremely close. I’m sure there are other factors as to why KDKA is down at 6pm, though I wouldn’t be familiar with what those are.

I wouldn't take Rich Lieberman's word for anything.  To him, every Bay Area radio and television newsroom is a cesspool of incompetence and failure,  backbiting and jealousy,  and most news anchors are having illicit affairs.  It'd be pretty funny if it weren't so monotonous.

• Like 5

The more I read Rich Lieberman, the more I'm convinced that he no longer has any sources. He is the equivalent of an elderly fanfic blogger but for local TV.

Lieberman doesn't see the ratings; I do. For the first two weeks of this month, KPIX was virtually tied with KGO for #2 at 6pm. I think their format and anchor changes have had a lot more of an impact than the branding change. I think adding news at 7pm, moving national news to 6:30, and putting Juliette Goodrich on the 6 and 7pm were all good ideas that made KPIX at least somewhat more competitive again. I'm not always sold on their unconventional leads and enterprise story ideas, but I suppose they're at least trying something different.

The most underperforming network O&O in that market though for sure is KNTV – literally hashmarks for their 11pm some nights. KTVU's Like It Or Not, a mindless show that costs no money to produce, regularly gets higher ratings at 11:30 than KNTV does for their 11pm news or the Tonight Show.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2023 at 12:54 AM, C Block said:

The more I read Rich Lieberman, the more I'm convinced that he no longer has any sources. He is the equivalent of an elderly fanfic blogger but for local TV.

Lieberman doesn't see the ratings; I do. For the first two weeks of this month, KPIX was virtually tied with KGO for #2 at 6pm. I think their format and anchor changes have had a lot more of an impact than the branding change. I think adding news at 7pm, moving national news to 6:30, and putting Juliette Goodrich on the 6 and 7pm were all good ideas that made KPIX at least somewhat more competitive again. I'm not always sold on their unconventional leads and enterprise story ideas, but I suppose they're at least trying something different.

The most underperforming network O&O in that market though for sure is KNTV – literally hashmarks for their 11pm some nights. KTVU's Like It Or Not, a mindless show that costs no money to produce, regularly gets higher ratings at 11:30 than KNTV does for their 11pm news or the Tonight Show.

Who has higher ratings at 11PM? Telemundo or the english newscasts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, caliwxdude said:

KTVN is one of those DMA #100+ stations that just refuses to behave like one. Great look for them.

Sounds like they got a new set, too? 

Yes they did I posted it on the set page.

6 hours ago, SFTV said:

Just noticed this. KTVN got the new look. Is this the first station out of the station group to get the package?

And I expected WDJT to be the first to adopt.

Looks better than the O&O implementation. Less in your face with the eye and CBS name. 

But close enough you pick up the cues it’s related to the network news parent. 

• Like 1
  • Concerned 2

6 hours ago, sfomspphl said:

Looks better than the O&O implementation. Less in your face with the eye and CBS name. 

But close enough you pick up the cues it’s related to the network news parent. 

I’m not a fan of that “2” logo though. It looks a bit…off with the rest of the package. And unless they’re planning on rebranding as “KTVN,” I don’t really see the point of having the call letters in the box; seems rather redundant.

I do prefer the music here though, mainly because Enforcer is a lot more versatile than Dimensional. Other than KPIX (which uses the package well), the O&Os use the same one or two cuts that get really tiresome after a while. Just my opinion though.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this on WBBM's YouTube page... I'm guessing these are just thumbnails created for their live streams as they do not appear to be screenshots, but it's interesting that they're using a different version of the lower-third. This one more closely resembles what was seen in that demo reel before these graphics launched.

The text is much smaller than you'd expect for a typical YouTube thiumbnail.

image.thumb.png.d929549db4998b1e8530680b3de7632d.png

Although maybe the channel banner is proof that the person making graphics for their YouTube page is just throwing things together and not really clear on the correct graphics to use.

image.thumb.png.10cb4b29c8cc628e9995d91ee86aa64c.png

• Concerned 1