New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

20 hours ago, Nynewslover2 said:

Definitely a step up with the adaption of the new look, kudos to WJZ. 

With the new studio upgrade in the works, WJZ  will definitely have cleanest on air look in the market.  TV Hill is beginning to look a lot more sophisticated and classy. 

Thankfully it's coming in "pieces" and not all at once. Steve said while the current set may only be 5 years old, there are some fixes in the works. They are prepping for 4K newscasts and also getting the First Alert Meteorologists a larger weather area because Derek Beasley stated he really wants to see WJZ put their own twist on weather forecasts.

There was a chance they were going to move to a new studio in Baltimore City because the building they are in is over 45 years old and in need of some repairs but Kathy Hostetter is already setting that in motion.

• Like 3

CBS 2 CBS News New York recently started using different music for many opens and bumpers. I haven't figured out a pattern but they sometimes use it and sometimes use the regular theme. The music does not have the CBS signature and can only be described as "somber church bell."

I don't understand what's happening over there.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Geoffrey said:

CBS 2 CBS News New York recently started using different music for many opens and bumpers. I haven't figured out a pattern but they sometimes use it and sometimes use the regular theme. The music does not have the CBS signature and can only be described as "somber church bell."

I don't understand what's happening over there.

I recorded a clip from their stream

It’s the same production track WJZ used right before their switch

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, SFTV said:

Well that didn’t last long. I’m surprised they didn’t utilize the other tracks like KPIX uses.  

The production track is just for some of the opens; Dimensional is still being used when going to commercial breaks. But yeah, I totally agree.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2023 at 10:36 AM, nycnewsjunkie said:

The production track is just for some of the opens; Dimensional is still being used when going to commercial breaks. But yeah, I totally agree.

WCBS also uses this for some bumpers.

Why ditch a new package designed to connect the station to the network with cheap somber church bell production music?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

WCBS also uses this for some bumpers.

Why ditch a new package designed to connect the station to the network with cheap somber church bell production music?

Because WCBS is lost and doesn't know what to do and doesn't know what there doing.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Egos. It's always egos hurt because corporate decided on something they hated, so they're like 'you want the viewers happy? Screw that, I'm gonna make them feel depressed and gloomy!'

This is just like the Scripps stations that decided the breaking news-only theme IS the only theme they'll use because the ND makes Lou Grant look like a hippy and because of that choice, now there's no real way to alert viewers to actual breaking news outside violating CALM with a louder version of the same theme.

There’s a good reason why WCBS, WBBM, and KCBS are all in last place in their respective markers.  All are a complete and utter clown show.

On the other hand, we can clearly see why all the former Westinghouse stations like KYW, KPIX, KDKA, WBZ, and WJZ are all the better performing CBS O&Os based on their handing of the new CBS I&O graphics rollouts.

Edited by CircleWXYZ
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

I don’t know that it’s fair to through WCBS in the same category as KCBS and WBBM. I think they’ve worked hard at recovering from the 1996 massacre and having become a competitor again. 

The new music may work for some stations, but it’s too light for New York. It’s why WABC has stuck with the 1999 version of the Eyewitness News theme. The version KABC uses is way too light for NYC. 

Edited by newscopter7
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, newscopter7 said:

The new music may work for some stations, but it’s too light for New York.

They could've noted that before they made the music final, and get a custom cut then. When you go with random themes based on 'vibes' you lose the trust of those who build the newscast out and the average viewer who is just over every time period having to lead off with doom and gloom because of one guy's decision to be out of compliance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

I don’t know that it’s fair to through WCBS in the same category as KCBS and WBBM. I think they’ve worked hard at recovering from the 1996 massacre and having become a competitor again. 

The new music may work for some stations, but it’s too light for New York. It’s why WABC has stuck with the 1999 version of the Eyewitness News theme. The version KABC uses is way too light for NYC. 

I know Dimensional (or at least, the one cut most of the stations use) has a bit of a relaxed vibe that doesn’t mesh with the other NYC stations, but it arguably works ok for WCBS. Channel 2 isn’t nearly as tabloid (for lack of a better word) as channel 7.

4 hours ago, mrschimpf said:

They could've noted that before they made the music final, and get a custom cut then. When you go with random themes based on 'vibes' you lose the trust of those who build the newscast out and the average viewer who is just over every time period having to lead off with doom and gloom because of one guy's decision to be out of compliance.

Eh, Idk about that; it’s not like they’ve gone full-on WSVN-style tabloid with their story selection just because of a music change during the open. Although, there is a problem in that the music sounds really awkward when the headline is about how nice the weather’s going to be like.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, RaleighTVBOI1 said:

Because WCBS is lost and doesn't know what to do and doesn't know what there doing.

These light elevator music/pharmacy themes don't work. 

18 hours ago, newscopter7 said:

Is WCBS in last place? I'm curious to see the numbers. The station was really on the right track from 2007 to about 2015/16ish.

This light corperate jingle doesn't work for a place as gritty and fast paced as NYC. ABC 7's theme captures the right essence. Power, force urgency, much like CBS 2's mid 90s theme.

Edited by MediaZone4K
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I just tuned in and checked out WBBM's 5:00pm newscast and noticed that they switched from the WCBS/KCBS version of the CBS 2 logo to WBBM's version in the logo bug.

Edited by speed053
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, speed053 said:

I just tuned in and checked out WBBM's 5:00pm newscast and noticed that they switched from the WCBS/KCBS version of the CBS 2 logo to WBBM's version in the logo bug.

Glad that CBS is reading us as they continue to fix their mistakes we point out. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Do we know if they are using the CBS 13 logo in the bug on TV? (It looks like the CBS News Sacramento bug may be inserted online.)

Interesting that the logo seems to differentiate that CBS News Sacramento is very specifically only the online service, whereas the other O&Os have it as part of the newscast name, whether the announcer calls it that or not.

1 hour ago, TonyN said:

I’m from the Sacramento viewing area. The channel is using the new black/white CBS 13 logo bug for its syndicated shows on air at the moment.

Welcome

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

No dots?

Just a way better use of the space and a better layout for presenting info, if most of these stations insist on using the ticker for all dayparts. KCAL's is phoned in, with the old ticker that overlaps the lower thirds, and the base version that most others are using is just too empty and hard to read, with white text on blue or orange. KYW and KDKA have the right idea, as well, with the dark gray ticker to match CBS News. Feels like less of a distraction, for them.

• Like 6