New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

4 hours ago, froyo49 said:

I really don’t understand why no one else uses the cuts KPIX uses. This one could slot in for that Enforcer headline bed 

KPIX uses all the cuts except the main intro heard on the other stations in the group. 

if they didn’t use that tacky 11pm production music for “The Late News,” then that main intro theme / opening cut seen on WCBS would work for 11pm 

The closest KPIX can get to using that theme is heard on the opening tease on WCBS before the intro. That cut with the soft ending (:17-:27)  is used for the Noon and 3 closing.

So I sent the general manager of WJZ a tweet about when they are doing the switchover to the graphics. Kathy Hostetter, who is GM of WJZ said that it's coming but in "pieces" like they did in 2018 (when Audra Swain was GM). We are looking at a possible Late May - Early June arrival of "CBS News Baltimore" as stated by her.

WJZ is so behind in the times. In the mornings, they have a bottom third with just weather and traffic. No news or sports report at the bottom. They don't even have a bottom third for their 4, 5, 6, and 7pm newscasts. Hopefully that changes with the changeover to "CBS News Baltimore."

Now I did ask her about "THE CUBE." - The Cube is in fact gone and is now the weather center but it's only partially finished... there are some upgrades coming to the studio and the newsroom as well coming soon. One of the meteorologists (Steve Sosna) did complain that the weather center is underdeveloped and it totally is. It's very underdeveloped and looks like just "soundproof walling" and computer screens. Very lazy like.

--

I think KOVR is going to beat WJZ to the punch.

Edited by CaptainBAL
typed be instead of beat.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Ok! So WJZ played the new theme at their noon time newscast during news stories they would get to. However it did not stand around long as again... WJZ's music is all over the place with dimension one minute, then chroma cues, dimension again... I'm like... ok pick one and stick with one.

Again, I feel like the antfood theme is pretty quirky but it doesn't seem very match worthy.

On 5/4/2023 at 6:48 PM, CaptainBAL said:

So I sent the general manager of WJZ a tweet about when they are doing the switchover to the graphics. Kathy Hostetter, who is GM of WJZ said that it's coming but in "pieces" like they did in 2018 (when Audra Swain was GM). We are looking at a possible Late May - Early June arrival of "CBS News Baltimore" as stated by her.

WJZ is so behind in the times. In the mornings, they have a bottom third with just weather and traffic. No news or sports report at the bottom. They don't even have a bottom third for their 4, 5, 6, and 7pm newscasts. Hopefully that changes with the changeover to "CBS News Baltimore."

Now I did ask her about "THE CUBE." - The Cube is in fact gone and is now the weather center but it's only partially finished... there are some upgrades coming to the studio and the newsroom as well coming soon. One of the meteorologists (Steve Sosna) did complain that the weather center is underdeveloped and it totally is. It's very underdeveloped and looks like just "soundproof walling" and computer screens. Very lazy like.

--

I think KOVR is going to beat WJZ to the punch.

WJZ is definitely behind in times. It still amazes me that they don’t have a news chopper.

WBAL-TV is Baltimore’s only news station with a helicopter. I honestly feel that ‘JZ puts on the better news product but 11 wins in the ratings department. 

It’s great that Steve Sosna has joined the team, maybe he can give them some guidance on upgrading their weather department given that he has Major Market experience coming from Philadelphia & NYC. 

With all that said WJZ is one of the higher rated CBS o&o’s; even if they are stuck in the early 2000’s, hopefully they don’t drop the ball on this transition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Nynewslover2 said:

WJZ is definitely behind in times. It still amazes me that they don’t have a news chopper.

WBAL-TV is Baltimore’s only news station with a helicopter. I honestly feel that ‘JZ puts on the better news product but 11 wins in the ratings department. 

It’s great that Steve Sosna has joined the team, maybe he can give them some guidance on upgrading their weather department given that he has Major Market experience coming from Philadelphia & NYC. 

With all that said WJZ is one of the higher rated CBS o&o’s; even if they are stuck in the early 2000’s, hopefully they don’t drop the ball on this transition. 

They are higher rated only because WMAR has been in the basement since the 1960s and WBFF puts so much conservative spin on all stories in Baltimore. They claim that Baltimore is bad and is always in crisis. They despise the Democratic run cities and agencies. WJZ had a chopper for years, but is saving money and using a drone instead.

Edited by techteacher50

35 minutes ago, abric said:

Actually, WJZ does have a news helicopter. They were the first one in Baltimore to have one in the late 90s.

WJZ-CBS Baltimore receives new R66 Newscopter - AviTrader Aviation News

They dropped it recently and swapped it out for a flying drone that is operated by a Multimedia Journalist. It’s a good way to save money, thus is why WBAL-TV correctly saying that they now have Baltimore’s only news chopper.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:48 PM, CaptainBAL said:

Does anyone really pay attention to the bottom ticker these days though? Outside snowbird closing reports (or I guess 'snow eye' for CBS stations) and specific city weather and your road in, you know the game score (there's six possible local(ish) teams) and the tickers have repetitive and dull news anyways. You can look up scores and the Dow easily with a smart speaker. The ticker is more a public environment utility in muted environments than actually useful to a viewer, and if they only have weather and traffic, it does serve its purpose perfectly.

Maybe if this new ATSC 3.0 standard actually includes interactive features that are cross-platform and not just half-assed implementations that depend on proprietary systems, the ticker becomes useful. For now though, it's just full of 'why is this news' stories rejected for the actual show that don't need elaboration.

• Like 4

WJZ might be about to make the switch today/relatively soon. The logo in the upper left corner of their website has changed to the updated logo (something I've noticed happens around the same time the graphics/music switch happens), and their stream abruptly cut off a few mins ago to a shot of the anchor desk with the new music playing, with a VERY quick peek at the new L3s. 

52 minutes ago, ofreyyabush said:

WJZ might be about to make the switch today/relatively soon. The logo in the upper left corner of their website has changed to the updated logo (something I've noticed happens around the same time the graphics/music switch happens), and their stream abruptly cut off a few mins ago to a shot of the anchor desk with the new music playing, with a VERY quick peek at the new L3s. 

They've also updated their logo on all socials. Good by to the classic, iconic, Group W style 13 

Screenshot 2023-05-11 155151.png

18 minutes ago, ofreyyabush said:

You called it, they’re live.

• Like 3

I did learn from Steve Sosna that there are changes coming to the studio. Steve said there is a nearly $15-$30 million refurbishment of the studio coming (via Kathy Hostetter) as they are working on stepping it up to the CBS News Baltimore brand. They are in fact keeping the Group W 13 as a nostalgic feel to the station.

The Offices and the newsrooms of old are getting redone as well as primary newsroom. Kathy Hostetter said they want to put the studio upgrades in piece by piece.

And they will finally have a "lower third" that works!

I just tried to make the changes on WJZ-TV's wiki page... they said it's not verifiable... ok? How is it not... We saw it for ourselves!!!!!

13 minutes ago, CaptainBAL said:

I did learn from Steve Sosna that there are changes coming to the studio. Steve said there is a nearly $15-$30 million refurbishment of the studio coming (via Kathy Hostetter) as they are working on stepping it up to the CBS News Baltimore brand. They are in fact keeping the Group W 13 as a nostalgic feel to the station.

The Offices and the newsrooms of old are getting redone as well as primary newsroom. Kathy Hostetter said they want to put the studio upgrades in piece by piece.

And they will finally have a "lower third" that works!

I just tried to make the changes on WJZ-TV's wiki page... they said it's not verifiable... ok? How is it not... We saw it for ourselves!!!!!

Looks like they also kept the 13 on the desk. KPIX is the only one in the group to change it to the call letters instead.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Definitely a step up with the adaption of the new look, kudos to WJZ. 

With the new studio upgrade in the works, WJZ  will definitely have cleanest on air look in the market.  TV Hill is beginning to look a lot more sophisticated and classy. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CaptainBAL said:

Well! it's about damn time! The last one is KOVR-13 IN SACRAMENTO!!!!!!!! 

I'd like to think someone at KOVR is reacting thusly:  "HA! They blinked!"  😏

• Haha 2