New CBS O&O Look Coming Soon?

24994J

Why use a CBS News Chicago "tab" on top of the lower-third if there's already a bug saying CBS 2 CBS News Chicago? And why isn't the text aligned? 

This look has some promise but the execution has been incredibly sloppy across the board.

• Sad 2

I have mixed feelings about this... I knew WBBM was going to play it safe, but I'm disappointed they didn't take advantage of the new branding/graphics. They're treating things as if it's just another Wednesday (continuing to use/say CBS 2 News, no updates to the set, etc...) with a half-hearted mention of the new graphics and music before tossing to weather.

Such a wasted opportunity.....

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Nice. I hate it.

Living in Baltimore and having WJZ stuck in the same standard Chroma Cues package for 20 years straight, this is leagues better.. Besides, WJZ is always the last to get upgrades, yet it is among the highest rated CBS Owned and Operated Stations.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, techteacher50 said:

Living in Baltimore and having WJZ stuck in the same standard Chroma Cues package for 20 years straight, this is leagues better.. Besides, WJZ is always the last to get upgrades, yet it is among the highest rated CBS Owned and Operated Stations.

Chroma cues was written specifically for the station. I mean I think they're getting close to moving to the CBS O&O form. When Newman ran WJZ, it was because they didn't have the money. Now once he retired and handed the reins to Audra Swain... it was a transformative time for the station. I'm really surprised that CBS-Paramount Global hasn't bought WUSA from Gannett to make it CBS Washington.

Apparently the turnover is getting close according to the current WJZ general manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainBAL said:

Chroma cues was written specifically for the station. I mean I think they're getting close to moving to the CBS O&O form. When Newman ran WJZ, it was because they didn't have the money. Now once he retired and handed the reins to Audra Swain... it was a transformative time for the station. I'm really surprised that CBS-Paramount Global hasn't bought WUSA from Gannett to make it CBS Washington.

Apparently the turnover is getting close according to the current WJZ general manager.

It was once owned by CBS and then sold to Gannett, which has split to form Tegna. I thing having the #7 DMA CBS would push it past the 39% maximum limit of viewers set by the government.

The Pittsburgher in me is coming out saying: Can some of yinz stop complaining for once?

Yes, WBBM pulling a WCBS isn't as exciting as exciting as them using call-letters would be. Just because the verbal branding hasn't changed doesn't mean the product itself is.

And the mish-mash of the font for the 2's between the bug & website and the open is driving my graphic designer brain up a wall. 

Edited by JosiahCubed
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, 24994J said:

The freaking desk.

image.thumb.png.ead103bd14f73af912f43ed2232d0177.png

Maybe the banner supplier was short? I remember that when the studio debuted, it was mentioned that the front part wasn't a screen.

Also, big yikes. Well launched at 4pm, a disaster afterwards.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Amra said:

Maybe the banner supplier was short? I remember that when the studio debuted, it was mentioned that the front part wasn't a screen.

Also, big yikes. Well launched at 4pm, a disaster afterwards.

Same desk WJZ has. I hope they too, don’t screw the launch up, lol…

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, 24994J said:

MARGINALLY better at 10? But the bar is so low. I'll give them a week or two to see if they iron out the most egregious kinks.

To add to the mess, I'm pretty sure that's an Enforcer cut being used as the bed for the headlines. 

21 minutes ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

To add to the mess, I'm pretty sure that's an Enforcer cut being used as the bed for the headlines. 

Oh, it is. That's a holdover from the old look. That's one of those things that kind of gets a first day pass, but it needs to go. Enforcer also closed the 6pm news, but that's obviously a mistake that I'm sure was a one-off.

56 minutes ago, 24994J said:

MARGINALLY better at 10? But the bar is so low. I'll give them a week or two to see if they iron out the most egregious kinks.

Suffice it to say, there have been better executions of the new package; WBBM’s is the worst I’ve seen so far. However, as bad as this is, I can’t say I totally mind the sloppy and out of place usage of Enforcer, especially given how repetitive that one cut of Dimensional can get after a while. I really don’t understand why stations don’t use different cuts of Dimensional to at least have a little bit of musical versatility.

That said, WBBM had a lot of time to roll this out properly, and they fumbled imo.

Edited by nycnewsjunkie
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, nycnewsjunkie said:

Suffice it to say, there have been better executions of the new package. However, as bad as this is, I can’t say I totally mind the sloppy and out of place usage of Enforcer, especially given how repetitive that one cut of Dimensional can get after a while. I really don’t understand why stations don’t use different cuts of Dimensional to at least have a little bit of musical versatility.

That said, WBBM had a lot of time to roll this out properly, and they fumbled imo.

You do know that dimensional is a very small package, right?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, mre29 said:

Sounds like WBBM rushed the switchover so they wouldn't be last.

Now it's down to just WJZ and KOVR. 13 versus 13! Who will blink first? 😉

Its a race to the bottom. WJZ is usually the last station to get a graphics update. Heck, they held on to their Chroma Cues Package from 1998 to 2018. They never ever used enforcer, which was a shame.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, WCAUTVNBC10 said:

Yes, it's the investigative theme. When I hear it, I picture WBBM though. I wouldn't mind if they keep it. It goes well with their hard news/investigative style for the past few years.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, techteacher50 said:

Besides, WJZ is always the last to get upgrades, yet it is among the highest rated CBS Owned and Operated Stations.

So let's look at this from the management/money POV (not that that is the correct way, but I like being devil's advocate)- Don't fix what ain't broken.

Money is a rare, mystical thing in broadcasting (preaching to the choir, I know...) But the other top O&O ('CCO) has used the same set for over a decade. With the branding and graphics change, the set got some minor updates to cover up the old logo (new hockey glass)  but otherwise, they continue to use a set that has aged incredibly well even though it does not entirely match the new look and feel of the station (example: all the dark blue and copper looks a little out of place now). As long as the ratings remain, and the billing is there, CBS will pour CapEx money where they feel it's needed more- like building an entire operation in Detroit, blowing up LA, etc.) 

• Like 1